New owner with some real-world, no-bullshit range data

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
chrisell

New owner with some real-world, no-bullshit range data

Post by chrisell » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:50 pm

Hi all - first post.
I've spent a while lurking here and on other I-pace forums, reading about range, the G-o-M and a bazillion other topics around how good or bad the actual / perceived range is. Thought I'd chime in with 6 months worth of real data.

Background - I'm a British ex-pat. I bought my MY2020 I-pace in July. It has the 20" wheels and (it seems) the H264 update (I'm guessing as I have the new linear battery meter in the display).
I have driven since day-1, "like a car" - ie with absolutely no concession to it being electric. This was a deliberate choice. I've had it in 'comfort' mode the whole time, with A/C or heating on. Right foot is moderate - not a hooligan but not an OAP. No pre-conditioning. Plugged in once a week to my 7kWh wall charger (to 100% charge) and once a month it gets some sweet sweet free 50kWh loving from a free Chargepoint station near me (to 80% charge). It's kept overnight in an unheated, badly-insulated garage so it gets pretty close to ambient temperature.

Location is Salt Lake City in Utah, so driving in the valley, mostly, which means little elevation change going north-south and major elevation changes going east-west. Driving is about 80% urban (with the plague of American stop signs and traffic lights every block) and 20% motorway. Two or three long day-trips into the mountains which involve a climb up I-80 which - here - is where U.S car makers frequently kill their test mules because there's an uphill section of I-80 which is murderous to cars in the summer if they're not in good shape. From where I am to the I-80 summit is 14 miles and 3000ft increase in elevation.

Because of COVID and work-from-home, most of my trips are pretty short at the moment - to and from shops, drive-throughs and the occasional trip to my office.

Anyway - at the end of the year (ie. now) I downloaded all my trip data from the InControl website, and spent an hour or so in Excel crunching the numbers and trying to get something faintly usable. I don't know if this sort of thing is a PR nightmare for Jaguar or not - I don't really care. I love the car, I'm growing to accept the mileage limitations, and I think that "that other brand" is full of it when they talk about their range (from knowing 8 owners who are getting barely 50% of the claimed range in real world conditions in their 3's and Y's).

Here's my real-world data:
July average kWh/100 miles : 39.7, theoretical max range 226 miles. Average temperature 30C to 35C
August average kWh/100 miles : 39.3, theoretical max range 229 miles. Average temperature 30C to 35C
September average kWh/100 miles : 41.0, theoretical max range 219 miles. Average temperature 25C to 30C
October average kWh/100 miles : 43.5, theoretical max range 206 miles. Average temperature 15C to 20C
November average kWh/100 miles : 55.5, theoretical max range 162 miles. Average temperature 0C to 7C
December average kWh/100 miles : 63.6, theoretical max range 141 miles. Average temperature -5C to 2C

What's interesting is the the G-o-M is always wildly off. Right now, in December, on a full charge, it claims 244 miles which I can't even get in the summer. More interesting is that if I use Jaguar's own online range guesstimator, it actually comes pretty damn close to the real-world numbers I've observed in my own car.

Conclusion 1: the I-pace is happier to be in hotter weather with the A/C going than it is to be in colder weather with the heating going. Seems about right as a general statement about batteries.

Conclusion 2: WLTP is an absolute joke. It's worse "guidance" than the old EPA gas-mileage numbers for ICE cars. About all it's good for is comparing EVs to each other. If one EV has a higher WLTP range, it means it has a higher real-world range. It doesn't mean you'll ever actually achieve the WLTP range.

If anyone is curious to see the raw data, I can probably share the spreadsheet on OneDrive....
Red 2020 I-pace

scm

Re: New owner with some real-world, no-bullshit range data

Post by scm » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:56 pm

chrisell wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:50 pm
Conclusion 2: WLTP is an absolute joke. It's worse "guidance" than the old EPA gas-mileage numbers for ICE cars. About all it's good for is comparing EVs to each other. If one EV has a higher WLTP range, it means it has a higher real-world range.
And right there you've identified the intended application of the WLTP figures. ;)

Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:16 pm

Great data !
First Edition, 01/2019

chrisell

Post by chrisell » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:35 pm

Tall Phil wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:16 pm
Great data !
Thanks. I figured it would be useful for someone googling at some point. And it was interesting to analyse it and remove any questions in my own mind.
Red 2020 I-pace

Delta5

Post by Delta5 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:46 pm

In cold weather without preconditioning, the battery drains quite quickly especially short journeys, preconditioning before a long journey makes a big difference.
Question - does driving at motorway speed keep the battery warm and improves range?.
IPace SE Caesium Blue, Ivory interior, Air suspension, 18in wheels, Drivers pack, 360. arrived 16th July, very nice.

Delta5

Post by Delta5 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:06 pm

For clarity, motorway speed in cold weather.
IPace SE Caesium Blue, Ivory interior, Air suspension, 18in wheels, Drivers pack, 360. arrived 16th July, very nice.

chrisell

Post by chrisell » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:27 pm

For me it does certainly. There's one round-trip we do every couple of weeks which isn't too far - about 30 miles out and back, most of which is motorway. The outward journey with no preconditioning gives me about 75kWh/100mi. The return journey 20 minutes later gives me about 35kWh/100mi. I'm guessing the outward journey is basically the battery starting at very close to freezing, and it heats up as I drive, and by the return journey, it's nice and warm.
For giggles: the journey is to a local off-beat store that imports English sweets so we have to stock up on Buttons and Revels and things like that every couple of weeks :D
Red 2020 I-pace

chrisell

Post by chrisell » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:51 am

Additional thought: I’ve yet to decide if the loss of battery charge to condition it before a drive is worth the trade off of a better kWh rate. If it was plugged in, sure, but I tend not to plug in until I get down to about 15-20% remaining. So any conditioning I do would be done untethered, generally speaking.
Red 2020 I-pace

Jelle v/d Meer

Post by Jelle v/d Meer » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:04 am

chrisell wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:51 am
Additional thought: I’ve yet to decide if the loss of battery charge to condition it before a drive is worth the trade off of a better kWh rate. If it was plugged in, sure, but I tend not to plug in until I get down to about 15-20% remaining. So any conditioning I do would be done untethered, generally speaking.
If not plugged in the preconditioning will mainly pre-heat/cool the cabin - it will consume more energy than it saves on efficiency.

Then again unplugged pre-condtioning is meant more to improve your comfort than save energy in the battery.
I-pace S + HUD + Drive Pack + Light Oyster Sport Seats + Tailgate I Ceasium Blue | 18" wheels
Infotainment 20C + Telematics 19.2 | ODO 64.367km | 2020 Efficiency 199watt/km @ avg 73km/h

Grunt

Post by Grunt » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:56 pm

Jelle v/d Meer wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:04 am
chrisell wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:51 am
If not plugged in the preconditioning will mainly pre-heat/cool the cabin - it will consume more energy than it saves on efficiency.

Then again unplugged pre-condtioning is meant more to improve your comfort than save energy in the battery.
True, but the difference will not be significant. Because in either case you will end up spending the same energy to heat or cool the same cabin to the same desired temperature. The only difference is that, if you precondition, you'll keep the cabin at the nice temperature slightly longer. In all the difference between
the 2 scenarios will rarely be more than half a kWh. Small price to pay for the extra comfort, IMO.