Very impressed on snow and ice

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
davidp40

Very impressed on snow and ice

Post by davidp40 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:53 pm

Took the kids out in the snow today - living in the Midlands I think this is the first time I've driven the I-Pace on frozen packed snow which was the condition of the slightly sloping car park up in the Malvern hills. Lots of 4x4s there, all sensibly, smoothly driven, including a Model X parked up next to me. The I-Pace looks much better, but it did make me wish it was a bit bigger.

The car was very impressive indeed on its summer tyres, barely a detectable slip. Didn't need the low-friction launch despite driving off against the slope.

Just after we parked an X3 came along, and you could see the guy was working away at the steering wheel and brakes, with the dreaded 4x4 driver's illusion of invincibility and I thought uh-oh. Moved the kids away from the boot as he completely lost control and glided gracefully in our direction. He hit the back bumper at about 3mph with his steering fully locked so that even his ABS had no chance to help. So that means a trip to the bodyshop (no visible damage, but definite cracking sound during impact).

Excellent sledging was had however!
SE, Corris Grey, Pan roof, 20" diamond cut, delivered April 2019. Warwickshire.

ACB5

Re: Very impressed on snow and ice

Post by ACB5 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:35 am

I have to agree. I was out at around 7am so no cars on the road and had to do a 20 mile trip on country roads some had not even been used. Did not need the snow and ice setting the car dealt perfectly with the conditions and sailed up hills that some other cars were struggling with or even stuck. I was very impressed. I am sure the M&S tyres make a huge difference as well .
MY21 HSE Caesium Blue, Black Wheels, No badges, Rear aircon, Privacy glass, Sunroof, Clearsight Camera, Wireless charger.

jpbates

Post by jpbates » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:40 pm

Same here. I went in to work across bendy and (very) undulating A626 between Marple and Glossop before 9am. My car never showed traction light, very solid on 18" Michelin Latitude Tour M&S marked tyres . Zipped past a number of cars struggling or failing to get up slopes. Vastly better than my XF was on full Winter tyres.
MY20 16th July HSE Firenze Red, Pano Roof, HUD, Black pack, 5055 18", Air&Adaptive, Front Fogs, Ebony Sports Seats.
S20C_20.43.1-618886; 19.2; BP-AAE-BC-AC-BE; 08.030.0117.0153
Zappi 2.0 Untethered. share.octopus.energy/lemon-wasp-593

tutis

Post by tutis » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:51 pm

I live in Switzerland and have an i-Pace with the 22 inch wheels, now fitted with Pirelli Winter tires. Had a great time recently driving to the mountains, climbing up on packed and fresh snow, and the car was exceptionally stable in the turns, under acceleration and braking. In fact I could not get the car to get the traction control on without exaggerating steering and accelerator input.
The Snow mode is also fantastic, as it not only takes the edge of the accelerator response but also tweaks the stability control (seems less twitchy) and the regen has a less immediate and powerful response that I really welcomed - comfort mode seemed to unsettle the car at times.

IMG_1342.jpg