Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

Alternative to I-Pace

11K views 36 replies 22 participants last post by  electric beagle 
#1 ·
Just had a look at the Ford Mustang E Performance model specification.

Interesting that they use the EPA range, 88Kw/h battery gets 235 miles.

The I-Pace, EPA range 234.

Mustang 0-60 mph 3.5 sec

maybe there aren't any magic answers to range.

#2 ·
Not sure if it is relevant, but if you look at the US specified range of the I Pace it lower than our nominal 292 figure. I stand to be corrected, but believe this is because the US figure needs to be corrected for battery degeneration with age.

#3 ·
A quick perusal seems to say the epa includes more highway miles, while wltp focuses on city use. I'm drawn to the epa figure as for me it's close to what I achieve, and my usage is mostly highway.

But for me, interesting that the 2 vehicles are so close in performance, even the charge port is in the same place.

#5 ·
Not a lot alternatives to the Ipace. I was looking for an awd electric in a small package that had a traditional interior - don't like the giant screens everyone is putting in that stick out from the dashboard. Even the Ipace is bigger than I needed. Electric mustang is a bit bigger. Polestar 2 comes close. I'd like to see smaller sportier e-tron. Etron-GT looks great but likely beyond my budget - also still quite large.

#6 ·
If you are discounting Tesla, all the premium brands offer a very similar package, of which the IPace compares well and is available for short delivery. Down market there is plenty of choice, take your pick to suit your budget and range needs, which models are available quickly is another story.

Don't focus on the 0-60 mph time the IPace is quick enough for any sane person and it does handle well, range in any EV is temperature dependant, in a Canadian winter below 200miles, slower charging too.

#7 ·
Fluff said:
A quick perusal seems to say the epa includes more highway miles, while wltp focuses on city use. I'm drawn to the epa figure as for me it's close to what I achieve, and my usage is mostly highway.

But for me, interesting that the 2 vehicles are so close in performance, even the charge port is in the same place.
Be aware that the Ford Mach E GT has a 98kW battery versus I-pace 90kW - so if they get similar range the I-pace is more efficient which is VERY surprising as the I-pace is one of the least efficient BEV on the highway.

For those focused on 0-60 time, range, charging speed & efficiency choose a Tesla
For those focused on build quality, good handling and great driver car choose an I-pace or if you can afford it a Taycan. Not sure where the Mach-E stands in terms of handling characteristics vs the I-pace.

#8 ·
Gtquan said:
Not a lot alternatives to the Ipace. I was looking for an awd electric in a small package that had a traditional interior - don't like the giant screens everyone is putting in that stick out from the dashboard. Even the Ipace is bigger than I needed. Electric mustang is a bit bigger. Polestar 2 comes close. I'd like to see smaller sportier e-tron. Etron-GT looks great but likely beyond my budget - also still quite large.
Isn't the eTron GT just the Porsche Taycan in a dowdy frock?

Have to say I would have considered the Mustang had it been available when I ordered mine, however after driving a few new Mustangs as rentals in the US, build quality may leave much to be desired. I don't have any serious concerns about the build quality of the Jag only the quality of the software.

As for the iPace acceleration being enough, there is no such thing as too fast acceleration but there are plenty of people who don't fancy a Tesla because the build quality appears to be crap and the interiors distinctly horrid.

#9 ·
I had not really paid much attention to the Taycan because I wanted an SUV, following comments I looked at the build configurator, undoubtedly it looks a top rate EV but at a price. Add the options that most would want and £100k is easy to reach, the options cost is eye watering, everything is extra, including folding mirrors, driving assist, 22kw charger and many other basic choices.

#10 ·
Fluff said:

Yes, agree. Both I Pace and Mach e have been closely matched in terms of exterior dimensions, charge port location like you mentioned etc. Ian Callum's brother is the Vice President for Design at Ford so may be that's another way of looking at similarities.....may be brothers being very competitive against each other 😁. However, Ford has a much larger boot and a massive frunk too so it's gonna be much more practical than Jag. In terms of range we don't know what would be the real life figures.... Driving dynamics - they may be closely matched here too....time will tell how it's gonna perform Vs Jag. I think in terms of pricing and features availability in the UK, Mach E might offer better value for money, but not too sure.

#11 ·
greencard20 said:
Fluff said:

Yes, agree. Both I Pace and Mach e have been closely matched in terms of exterior dimensions, charge port location like you mentioned etc. Ian Callum's brother is the Vice President for Design at Ford so may be that's another way of looking at similarities.....may be brothers being very competitive against each other 😁. However, Ford has a much larger boot and a massive frunk too so it's gonna be much more practical than Jag. In terms of range we don't know what would be the real life figures.... Driving dynamics - they may be closely matched here too....time will tell how it's gonna perform Vs Jag. I think in terms of pricing and features availability in the UK, Mach E might offer better value for money, but not too sure.
The boot on the Mach-e is only 402 litre. Thats more like a Golf. But it has 100 litre frunk.
Its not allowed for any roof load either. So I wouldn't say it's a very practical car. Towing capacity is the same useless 750 kilos as the I-Pace.

#14 ·
FENorway said:
greencard20 said:
Fluff said:

The boot on the Mach-e is only 402 litre. Thats more like a Golf. But it has 100 litre frunk.
Its not allowed for any roof load either. So I wouldn't say it's a very practical car. Towing capacity is the same useless 750 kilos as the I-Pace.
Don't just go by numbers published by the manufacturers. It is down to what you can fit under the parcel shelf or without the parcel shelf, with/without row 2 seats folded, or space under the floor. In Mach E, it looks like there are 2 levels for the boot floor so you have the flexibility to keep taller items if you wish. So, overall, I'd say trunk + frunk usable space is better than I Pace. Not sure if Mach E has reclining/sliding row 2 seats. If it does, then as a customer you have that flexibility too ie more row 2 space or more boot space........

#15 ·
Jabberwock said:
Not sure if it is relevant, but if you look at the US specified range of the I Pace it lower than our nominal 292 figure. I stand to be corrected, but believe this is because the US figure needs to be corrected for battery degeneration with age.
They're just different test cycles. Nothing to do with battery degradation. You'll also find ICE cars get different mpg figures in the American market because of the different test (combined with the different gallon size of course).

#19 ·
mclarenpaul said:
Don't forget Ford is part of IONITY which is useful if you do a quite a bit of long range driving.
Not entirely sure what the obsession is with Ionity here, BP now has more 150Kw chargers than Ionity right now and is growing availability at a far faster rate. BP also charge Polar members only 27p per Kwh which whilst not quite as cheap as the old plugsurfing deal, isn't bad

#21 ·
"Interesting comment at the end. Ipace going out of production soon..............."

Yesterday a friend of mine said the same, being replaced by a Evoque EV according to him.

Just maybe a new platform for a midsize Evoque / EPace / Discovery sport / IPace is in the pipeline, anyone else any knowledge.

#22 ·
Just adding to the rumours..... I-pace is (still) manufactured at Magna in Austria... if JAGUAR want to change their manufacturing foot print, EU manufacturing could be out? New models gives another chance to move manufacturing???
Personally I would seriously look at the new BMW iX apart from the front grill I think it could be a winner if the specs materialise.

#23 ·
If Jaguar are going ahead with new electric production at Castle Bromwich why wouldn't they move the iPace line there too it would seem to make a great deal of sense and would assume there would be a good deal of part/platform commonality

#24 ·
More likely the new landrover EV will then become the next platform for the next I-Pace, and hence come to UK manufacturing in due course.

I-Pace was a 'one-off' the rest of the range is related to each other.

Its all about 'platforms' now.

Of course if volumes allowed, they would try to get to 2 sites, UK and EU, just to keep everyone happy.

#25 ·
JLR are already building the Defender and Discovery on Slovakia, because there are no import duty, it doesn't matter much to car manufacturers other than more attention to paperwork. Components are sourced globally so it doesn't really matter where the factory is.

#26 ·
Oh No! First I'd heard about production stopping. Looks like I will have to keep my ipace for alot longer than I expected. There doesn't seem anything in the pipeline to replace it with. IX3 is 2wd only, MachE has no air suspension with off-road ride height setting, etron and eqc are inferior in almost every way. Anyone heard of any rumours of a electric Macan,? That could be an option, but prob many years away..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.