I-Pace Test Drives

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
johnd

Re: I-Pace Test Drives

Post by johnd » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:50 pm

POR991 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:31 am
I’m also not convinced about the infrastructure here in the UK and the ability of our electricity generation capacity to be able to cope in the future.
The UK infrastructure is definitely a concern, albeit hopefully a temporary one that might be considerably improved in 2-3 years' time. For CCS rapid charging specifically, it's a mess right now with a combination of limited numbers of chargers, different and at least partially incompatible charge-point owners, what seems to be significant unreliability/unavailability and too many sites with just one or two stalls. It really needs government intervention to make things more reliable and more easily interoperable but that doesn't appear to be happening.

Electricity generation capacity is close to a non-issue AFAICS. All the studies that have been conducted seem to suggest that with smart charging there are no obstacles that cannot easily be planned for and resolved over the next 15-20 years when EV penetration will really ramp up.
That aside I was hoping the car was going to work but it doesn’t for me and getting back into my Macan this morning I realised just how significantly better this car is in in terms of driving ergonomics.
It's interesting to read some understanding of the dilemma I'm facing myself in trying to decide whether to swap my Macan SD for an I-Pace. I remain really torn in trying to make a decision. There's no doubt that a Macan does spoil you in many ways and does indeed set the bar high, but all our circumstances and preferences are different of course. Personally, I'm wanting to change to another premium/performance smaller 4WD SUV in the next 6 months (or sooner) and it probably won't be to another Macan (SD no longer made and petrols' consumption is likely too high for me, much though I'd prefer to buy another Porsche).

My dilemma is: if not I-Pace then what else? Not too much else on the market that appeals. Might go with a 2019 Q3 45 TFSI as a stop-gap until the next RSQ3 appears. Or if a Tiguan R (not R-Line) were to appear then that could be another option. All that said, maybe I'll confirm an I-Pace order in the next week or two. First world problems of course!

Billy Bunter

Post by Billy Bunter » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:38 pm

POR991 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:31 am
......... I’m also not convinced about the infrastructure here in the UK and the ability of our electricity generation capacity to be able to cope in the future................
I’m in NL and am reasonably happy with the infrastructure here and the prospects.

As an exercise I’ve been sizing up trips home to the UK to see how easy/ difficult it would be. I’m also not convinced it would work (for me) if I lived in UK..... too few fast chargers, too many broken fast chargers, no obvious deep commitment at UK government level to make it happen, etc etc.

I hope there is some solid infrastructure development & quite understand your current position (it probably reflects the fact that the UK is about 5 years behind....)

YMMV
SE, Firenze Red, Black Pack & Black 20” wheels, Air Suspention, HUD, Adaptive Cruise & Steering etc, DAB+

POR991

Post by POR991 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:57 pm

Having seen the latest news today about Toshiba pulling out of the Nuclear Power Station project in Cumbria, the government insisting that new power stations can only go ahead with private investment and the UK's existing electricity generation infrastructure almost on the limit I do wonder how it's going to cope with the demand that electric vehicles will put on the system. I posted how I had test driven the iPace and abandoned the drive after 1 day. However, I did persever and complete the drive so over 3 days (finishing today) I drove it 200 miles. As I have no charge point at home I had to rely on the domestic 13A 2.4kW "brick" but that was unusable as it kept tripping my RCD so yesterday I tried to use a CYC charger on PAYG, what a disaster, the 50kW CCS did not function and the Type 2 although 43kW, could only charge at the 7kW rate of the on Board charger in the iPace. But even that wasn't easy as it just would not work until the end of a 35 minute phone call with CYC's help line who got it going for me. I let it charge for an hour but this only increased my remaining range by about 20 miles.

From my test drive I reckon the car is useable for about 170 miles with a 40 mile reserve on top of that so it would suit most of my journeys with an overnight charge at home on a 7kW charger. However, that assumes the house incoming electricity supply can have a 100A main fuse which if it cannot is a deal breaker as a 3.6kW charger would take far too long.

The iPace itself is very good, I persevered with the differences versus my Macan and was impressed however there are some aspects I think need improving:
- The Jag's LED lights are not as good as the Macan's Adaptive LED lights when they switch to full beam.
- The parking sensors and 360 camera system could be improved, Macan had a software update which then allowed its Surround View (360) camera to be selected from the Favourite button on it's steering wheel, I'm sure Jaguar could do this with iPace
- The parking sensors don't activate until uncomfortably close to an obstacle compared to my Macan's sensors.
- The brake pedal feels very soft on the initial pedal push however I am used to Ceramic Brakes on my Macan
- It would be nice to have more control over the chassis settings rather than just the Dynamic on/off setting, With my Macan I have 3 settings for the Active Suspension Management - Normal, Sport and Sport Plus and I can also lower the car by 10mm from it's "Comfort " height as well as raise by 40mm.
- The infotainment system is quite slow to respond to settings changes and starting navigation seems to take a very long time once the destination has been selected.

In summary I think the iPace is excellent which is a complete contrast to my initial thoughts, however, I do have a nagging worry that's it's not quite fully developed and was brought early to market to gain market share before Audi, Mercedes etc. enter. My other concern is the UK's charging infrastructure. Tesla seem to have got this sorted compared to the mismatch of chargers operated by many different private companies, the contrast at Cribbs Causeway shopping centre near Bristol, was obvious with 6 Tesla bays, and a big sign that could be seen a long way off, in contrast the CYC charger was a dull grey box with just 2 bays and only one charger, no signage and it looked in bad condition.

I'm checking with the DNO whether or not my house electricity incoming supply cable is rated to be protected by a 100A main fuse which decides if I can then have a 7kW charge point installed. If the result of the survey is positive then I just have to decide if I like the iPace enough to make the change now (delivery May 2019) or delay for another year and review again.

Billy Bunter

Post by Billy Bunter » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:49 am

POR991 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:57 pm
- It would be nice to have more control over the chassis settings rather than just the Dynamic on/off setting, With my Macan I have 3 settings for the Active Suspension Management - Normal, Sport and Sport Plus and I can also lower the car by 10mm from it's "Comfort " height as well as raise by 40mm.
I don’t have my car yet, but believe that’s already possible with the “Configurable Dynamics” function that is part of the “Adaptive Dynamics” option. This provides the presets for ride/engine/steering and the driver can make some changes to these defaults.

The “Air Suspension” option lowers the car above a certain speed, and allows the car to be raised for (example) passenger entry/exit etc. There’s a button on the centre console.

Possibly the car you drove didn’t have this, or it was lost in a menu somewhere ?

DISCLAIMER: the above is from what I remember when placing my order and don’t have my car yet - very happy to be corrected by anyone who already has their car with these options fitted.
SE, Firenze Red, Black Pack & Black 20” wheels, Air Suspention, HUD, Adaptive Cruise & Steering etc, DAB+

I-Pacer

Post by I-Pacer » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:14 pm

@Billy Bunter

When I ordered my I-Pace I also thought I can set the car to any driving height at any time with the air suspension like in a Macan.
Unfortunately this is not the case.
You can only lower the car for easy entry when standing still but it will go back to its "normal" driving height after reaching a certain speed.
And it will lower itself when driving higher speeds to optimize power consumption.

As a sporty driver I would like to lower the car when ever I want to reduce body roll and achieve higher cornering speeds.

Maybe some aftermarket solution will bring this option in the future.
For the Macan you can have an aftermarket solution which allows to lower the car beyond the factory settings.

FENorway

Post by FENorway » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:01 pm

I-Pacer wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:14 pm

Maybe some aftermarket solution will bring this option in the future.
Or a JLR OTA update? Why not.. An eastern egg 🥚

I-Pacer

Post by I-Pacer » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:22 pm

Yes... something like a track mode would be great... with super low suspension, ESP completely disabled and more power on the rear axle :twisted:

Billy Bunter

Post by Billy Bunter » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:30 pm

^^^
yes the above is what I remembered (I wasn’t very clear - but no user-selectable driving height)
- standing still, button to raise height for entry/exit
- autonomous lowering for aerodynamics
- no user selectable ride height whilst driving

These are not related to the configurable dynamics function, which allows setting of different ride/motor/steering feel

Joshuableu

Post by Joshuableu » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:38 pm

Billy Bunter wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:49 am
POR991 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:57 pm
-

The “Air Suspension” option lowers the car above a certain speed, and allows the car to be raised for (example) passenger entry/exit etc. There’s a button on the centre console.

There was a communication to USA dealers on October 15:
Quoting: " High speed self lowering function ONLY available on vehicles equipped with Adaptive Dynamics."

This is not what I believed to be be true when ordering but this is the way it is functioning in real life.
HSE, Corris /Lt Oyst; USA spec (Pano roof, Air susp & Priv Glass all STD); Perf Seats; Blk Ext Pack; HUD; Fog lmps; ADsR; Adap Dyn; Suede SW; Suede Headliner; Config Amb lighting; Cabin Ion; 4 Zn climate; cooled GB; Ext Leather; 22" #5069 wheels

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”