I-Pace range

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Thincat
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:20 pm
Location: Leicestershire, UK

Re: I-Pace range

Post by Thincat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:41 am

Interesting comparison of I-Pace, E-Tron and Model X by Bjorn:
Cesium Blue HSE without sunroof and dark glass ordered 2nd March, delivered 11 December.


sciencegeek
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:14 pm
Location: California

Re: I-Pace range

Post by sciencegeek » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:36 am

Chewy wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:34 am
This is the range the GOM said I should get when it was fully charged on my home charger before setting off on a long journey...
....
This would suggest to me that the GOM has learned how I drive and the the range and usage indicators are very linear and accurate in the figures they report within the car, at least when driving longer distances.
Yes, I totally agree. The SoC vs GoM is very good. Sorry, my complaint wasn't 100% clear. Here is the relevant thread on the US forum:

https://www.i-paceforum.com/forum/546-2 ... wrong.html

Long story short, the kWh/100mi figures are incorrectly calculated and it shows most dramatically on 'journeys' that involve a mix of fast and slow. One should not look at that figure and extrapolate range from it, like "Oh I just did 100 miles on the freeway and my consumption is only 40kWh/100mi, so I have >200 miles range." <- Not true.


SammyD
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:44 pm
Location: N.E Hampshire, UK

Re: I-Pace range

Post by SammyD » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:29 am

sciencegeek wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:36 am

Long story short, the kWh/100mi figures are incorrectly calculated and it shows most dramatically on 'journeys' that involve a mix of fast and slow. One should not look at that figure and extrapolate range from it, like "Oh I just did 100 miles on the freeway and my consumption is only 40kWh/100mi, so I have >200 miles range." <- Not true.
Cruising along a motorway in a ICE car and driving it in the city will also give very different fuel consumption rates. I'm not expecting anything different from my I-Pace. Speed and acceleration is also a factor in ICE fuel consumption.
I'll use all the instrumentation as a guide apart from the Battery percentage until I get really familiar with it. Nothing different from seeing how far you can go on a tank of petrol after the gauge says empty is it eh? (don't try this at home folks :) )
Driving "Hirundo Rustica" since 15th Mar 2019. Lovely Jubbly :D :D


FENorway
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:06 am
Location: Norge

Re: I-Pace range

Post by FENorway » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:36 am

I really dont agree on that one.
Many have driven long Journeys(or a lot of short ones) and calculated total consumption from the trip computer. I'm referring to test where you use a lot og the total SoC. At least 80%. When you hold the kwh consumed up against remaining SoC this math says a total battery capacity of 81-82kwh. We also know from test where they drive until empty that about 10 km range is still there at SoC=0%. That means about 2kwh more that within the SoC range.

If you have maths that proves another result please share.
FE Corris grey light oyster/light oyster Performance 22" 5069 & 18" 1022 18C and 14.2


Chewy
Posts: 958
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:46 pm
Location: UK

Re: I-Pace range

Post by Chewy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:25 am

Sorry, repeated post so removed.
Last edited by Chewy on Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caesium Blue S. 250mi range on 18” wheels in the Winter. Hoping for 300 miles range when it warms up. S19A-07, 15.2


Chewy
Posts: 958
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:46 pm
Location: UK

Re: I-Pace range

Post by Chewy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:26 am

FENorway wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:36 am
I really dont agree on that one.
Many have driven long Journeys(or a lot of short ones) and calculated total consumption from the trip computer. I'm referring to test where you use a lot og the total SoC. At least 80%. When you hold the kwh consumed up against remaining SoC this math says a total battery capacity of 81-82kwh. We also know from test where they drive until empty that about 10 km range is still there at SoC=0%. That means about 2kwh more that within the SoC range.

If you have maths that proves another result please share.
On the 182 miles trip that I did, with the GOM estimating my range as 273 miles, the car suggested I had averaged 30.5kW/100miles. This works out at a range of 269 miles based upon 82kWh of Battery Capacity in the 0% to 100% Indicated SoC. After all the driving I have done, I am confident with 82kWh figure. This would suggest the kWh/mile figure is indeed very accurate, <0.4% out.
Caesium Blue S. 250mi range on 18” wheels in the Winter. Hoping for 300 miles range when it warms up. S19A-07, 15.2


scm
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:11 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: I-Pace range

Post by scm » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:01 am

sciencegeek wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:44 pm
Sorry to burst your bubble but one of the worst things you can do for EV range is to accelerate fiercely because discharge efficiency from the battery suffers greatly.
The post was focused on reducing A to B journey times, not optimising battery usage, so no bubble to burst at all. And he did say it was tongue-in-cheek! ;)


Chewy
Posts: 958
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:46 pm
Location: UK

Re: I-Pace range

Post by Chewy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:08 am

scm wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:01 am

The post was focused on reducing A to B journey times, not optimising battery usage, so no bubble to burst at all. And he did say it was tongue-in-cheek! ;)
Yep, quickest method to get from A to B is to drive as fast as possible and accelerate as quickly as possible :-)
Caesium Blue S. 250mi range on 18” wheels in the Winter. Hoping for 300 miles range when it warms up. S19A-07, 15.2


Jelle v/d Meer
Posts: 800
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:43 pm
Location: Tilburg / Netherlands

Re: I-Pace range

Post by Jelle v/d Meer » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:10 am

Chewy wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:08 am
scm wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:01 am

The post was focused on reducing A to B journey times, not optimising battery usage, so no bubble to burst at all. And he did say it was tongue-in-cheek! ;)
Yep, quickest method to get from A to B is to drive as fast as possible and accelerate as quickly as possible :-)
Add to that to drive as fast as range allows and you are using my method for long distance driving. It is quicker to stop/charge more frequent but drive faster than stop/charge less but also drive slower.
Presuming HPC (>100kW+) are on route you are faster stopping every 150-200km driving 120-140km/h than every 300-350km driving 90-110km/h.

See below screenshot from my long trip calculator as example:

Capture.JPG

Last edited by Jelle v/d Meer on Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
I-pace S + HUD, Drive Pack, Light Oyster Sport Seats, Elec Tailgate, DAB+ & heated windshield I Ceasium Blue & 18" wheels


Chewy
Posts: 958
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:46 pm
Location: UK

Re: I-Pace range

Post by Chewy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:17 am

Jelle v/d Meer wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:10 am
Chewy wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:08 am
scm wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:01 am

The post was focused on reducing A to B journey times, not optimising battery usage, so no bubble to burst at all. And he did say it was tongue-in-cheek! ;)
Yep, quickest method to get from A to B is to drive as fast as possible and accelerate as quickly as possible :-)
Add to that to drive as fast as range allows and you are using my method for long distance driving. It is quicker to stop/charge more frequent but drive faster than stop/charge less but also drive slower.
Presuming HPC (>100kW+) are on route you are faster stopping every 150-200km driving 120-140km/h than every 300-350km driving 90-110km/h.
That makes good sense. Bjorn did some tests at some point with the I-Pace and worked out for long distance trips that included charging, the ideal travel speed was just over 80mph. This was even with 50kW chargers.
Caesium Blue S. 250mi range on 18” wheels in the Winter. Hoping for 300 miles range when it warms up. S19A-07, 15.2


Post Reply

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”