I-Pace range

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
DougTheMac

Re: I-Pace range

Post by DougTheMac » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:01 pm

Yes, definitely quicker on a long trip to drive pretty fast eg 80mph and charge for a little longer. “Hypermiling” is slow. The only exception to this rule is if there is a significant overhead on a charge stop (time to get connected and charging and/or a diversion from your route). If a bit of hypermiling means you can get away with not having to stop at all, it may be worth it. But driving at 60mph is soooo boring.

And thanks, scm, for pointing out my point. I quite agree with Chewy et al, that driving gently will use less energy. My (theoretical) point was re the relative losses of the two scenarios for the same average (stopped to stopped) speed. When the present gale ceases, I may have a go at the real experiment.

However, I certainly achieved my other objective of bumping this thread!
HSE Silicon Silver Pano Air+AD Oyster ordered 23/9/18 for delivery 1 March 19

Normark

Post by Normark » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:27 pm

Some good news about fast charging:
https://insideevs.com/jaguar-i-pace-can ... er-update/

Chewy

Post by Chewy » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:52 pm

From being the most talked about threads, I-Pace Range has slipped down the table.

This is good. Are owners now more accepting of the fact that the range achieved by the I-Pace is not the problem it was put out be?

When we have Bjorn doing a real world drive comparing the I-Pace with the Tesla Model Eggs and the ETron where the difference in range between all 3 is no more than 10%, have we realised the I-Pace is not the thirsty beast it was made out to be?
Last edited by Chewy on Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caesium Blue S. 250mi range on 18” wheels in the Winter. Hoping for 300 miles range when it warms up.

bazzaqpc

Post by bazzaqpc » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:32 pm

Hi Chewy, you are quit correct about range.
Last Sunday in my quest to find a replacement I Pace, I drove to a dealer 31.7 miles away from where I live.
I set off with a full charge and a range of 241 miles, as this is a loan I Pace, I don’t treat it as my property, meaning I drive it with caution and treat it with kid gloves (no thrashing it).
When I arrived at Jaguar I asked if I could plug it in to their charger for 20 minutes as I wanted to pop over to Cambridge and felt range would be tight.
The car charged for 25 minutes and added 10 kWh.
I left Jaguar, but decided to return home and watch the footie on the magic rectangle.
As the car was going back on Monday, I charged the car up ready for them to take it away.
When I checked on Monday morning the charger had added 9.7 kWh overnight and the car was 100% again and the range had changed to 261 miles.
Therefore I drove 63.4 mile and used 19.7 kWh that equals 3.218274 miles per kWh, if we assume we have 83.7 usable kWh than that gave me a range of 269.369 miles and if you work on 90 kWh then that’s 289.6446 miles, also its worth saying 50.6 miles was on the motorway doing 70 MPH.
What more could you want.
I Pace FE - Santorini Black

Chewy

Post by Chewy » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:38 pm

bazzaqpc wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:32 pm
Hi Chewy, you are quit correct about range.
Last Sunday in my quest to find a replacement I Pace, I drove to a dealer 31.7 miles away from where I live.
I set off with a full charge and a range of 241 miles, as this is a loan I Pace, I don’t treat it as my property, meaning I drive it with caution and treat it with kid gloves (no thrashing it).
When I arrived at Jaguar I asked if I could plug it in to their charger for 20 minutes as I wanted to pop over to Cambridge and felt range would be tight.
The car charged for 25 minutes and added 10 kWh.
I left Jaguar, but decided to return home and watch the footie on the magic rectangle.
As the car was going back on Monday, I charged the car up ready for them to take it away.
When I checked on Monday morning the charger had added 9.7 kWh overnight and the car was 100% again and the range had changed to 261 miles.
Therefore I drove 63.4 mile and used 19.7 kWh that equals 3.218274 miles per kWh, if we assume we have 83.7 usable kWh than that gave me a range of 269.369 miles and if you work on 90 kWh then that’s 289.6446 miles, also its worth saying 50.6 miles was on the motorway doing 70 MPH.
What more could you want.
And how many ICE car owners drop in on a local dealer and ask them to top their car up with petrol/diesel while they pop into town and do a bit of shopping? Then when they get home refill their tank from the fuel pump they have installed at their house?

There are so many benefits to owning a car powered by electric :-)
Caesium Blue S. 250mi range on 18” wheels in the Winter. Hoping for 300 miles range when it warms up.

scm

Post by scm » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:52 pm

Chewy wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:38 pm
And how many ICE car owners drop in on a local dealer and ask them to top their car up with petrol/diesel while they pop into town and do a bit of shopping? Then when they get home refill their tank from the fuel pump they have installed at their house?
No need, they can fully charge the car in 5 minutes. ;)

Chewy

Post by Chewy » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:02 pm

scm wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:52 pm
Chewy wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:38 pm
No need, they can fully charge the car in 5 minutes. ;)
And with such cheap fuel that is so good for the environment, towns and children :-)

Oh, and it NEVER takes 5 minutes.

scm

Post by scm » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:17 pm

Chewy wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:02 pm
Oh, and it NEVER takes 5 minutes.
I can do it in 5. I know how to time it. ;)

Goshdarnit

Post by Goshdarnit » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:29 pm

I can fully charge my car in 10 seconds. That’s how long it takes to plug it in.
I-Pace First Edition, Corris Grey, Oyster interior, 22” diamond cut alloys with carbon inserts.

sciencegeek

Post by sciencegeek » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:11 am

Goshdarnit wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:29 pm
I can fully charge my car in 10 seconds. That’s how long it takes to plug it in.
Haha, that's too funny. Isn't it great to plug in and be done with it? I so do not miss the "where's the nearest gas (uh excuse me, "petrol") station with a reasonable price". I also don't miss stepping into oil puddles and inhaling fossil fumes, or the non-working credit card reader.

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”