Timed Charging Anxiety

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
electric beagle

Re: Timed Charging Anxiety

Post by electric beagle » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:16 am

51mes wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:52 am
I'm on agile - so the offpeak times vary, I had started work on a set of scripts for the raspberry PI to manage charging based on a trigger price but the flaky jag software has caused me to abandon that project (not before buying a second PI as it started so well - thanks Jaguar).

As I mentioned in the Octopus Energy thread I've just bought the Ohme charge using the octopus/ohme collaboration discount pricing (199 not 399) it plugs into the podpoint type2 and puts an Octopus Agile (amongst others) integrated charge controller in line. Orering and delivery were easy I put in the request Sunday, my order was confirmed with the discount Monday morning - Work got in the way so I didnt get to pay until Monday night but and I got the charger Wednesday morning.

I set the maximum KW/H price plug the charger in and away it goes and will turn on and off when the price drops below my limit. It's getting it's first run out tonight set to 1.5p/KW/h, giving me 2 hours of charge for an Ohme estimated 46 miles for 14 pence (it logs into the jaguar API and pulls data from the car)..

One thing Al Go isnt 0.5p / Kwh at cheap rate ( as per your update) - it's 5p (as in your original post)... I looked at the wifi relay thing but as my podpoint junction box links to my meter both outside I really didn't feel comfortable going that way (it's also against part-p regs doing it yourself unless you are qualified). I would have needed to complete the work I was doing for agile charge management - but against the api for the switch...

Hopefully after biting the financial bullet this will be the final charging solution ...
As someone considering moving to Octopus Agile, the Ohme charging cable looks like a neat solution.

Is there an adaptor (assume it would be female to female) to allow this to work with a tethered home charger?
MY21HSE, Portofino Blue, Oyster interior, Wireless Charger, Cupholder Covers, Active Air Suspension, Adaptive Dynamics, Clear Sight rear view mirror, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Upgraded Cabin Lighting, Aluminium trim, Andersen EV Charger

russyj

Post by russyj » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:59 pm

electric beagle wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:16 am
51mes wrote:
I'm on agile - so the offpeak times vary, I had started work on a set of scripts for the raspberry PI to manage charging based on a trigger price but the flaky jag software has caused me to abandon that project (not before buying a second PI as it started so well - thanks Jaguar).

As I mentioned in the Octopus Energy thread I've just bought the Ohme charge using the octopus/ohme collaboration discount pricing (199 not 399) it plugs into the podpoint type2 and puts an Octopus Agile (amongst others) integrated charge controller in line. Orering and delivery were easy I put in the request Sunday, my order was confirmed with the discount Monday morning - Work got in the way so I didnt get to pay until Monday night but and I got the charger Wednesday morning.

I set the maximum KW/H price plug the charger in and away it goes and will turn on and off when the price drops below my limit. It's getting it's first run out tonight set to 1.5p/KW/h, giving me 2 hours of charge for an Ohme estimated 46 miles for 14 pence (it logs into the jaguar API and pulls data from the car)..

One thing Al Go isnt 0.5p / Kwh at cheap rate ( as per your update) - it's 5p (as in your original post)... I looked at the wifi relay thing but as my podpoint junction box links to my meter both outside I really didn't feel comfortable going that way (it's also against part-p regs doing it yourself unless you are qualified). I would have needed to complete the work I was doing for agile charge management - but against the api for the switch...

Hopefully after biting the financial bullet this will be the final charging solution ...
As someone considering moving to Octopus Agile, the Ohme charging cable looks like a neat solution.

Is there an adaptor (assume it would be female to female) to allow this to work with a tethered home charger?
I’ve been wondering this, I think all cables have a male and female so you could in theory daisy chain them, don’t know if this works or is safe?

51mes

Post by 51mes » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:25 pm

electric beagle wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:16 am
51mes wrote:

It worked perfectly - I woke up this morning - 72% charge - 47 miles added - cost ~£0.13 for 14Kw/h. All reported in the Ohme app.

As for what in the old RS232 days we used to call a gender bender ;-) I have no idea such a thing might be allowed - I went untethered for a number of reasons - needed a longer cable on occasion than 5M - I have 2 parking spots one is just under 5M run the other needs a longer cable. (I now have a 10M one and couldn't find an extension when I looked last year) and didn't want the cable curled up by the front door - more accurately SWMBO wouldn't allow it. This was the icing on the cake for that decision ;-)

S.
MY20 (Nov19) I-pace SE |AIR|Pan Roof|Light Oyster 10 way Heated Seats I Caesium Blue| 18" 5055 wheels
Infotainment 20C + Telematics 19.2 + H264 + H280| Podpoint 7Kw+ ohme cable for Octopus Agile charging.https://share.octopus.energy/sky-ape-579

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:15 am

russyj wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:59 pm

I’ve been wondering this, I think all cables have a male and female so you could in theory daisy chain them, don’t know if this works or is safe?
Unfortunately it doesn’t work with most cables. I believe the pins on the male end are too short for the holes on the female end deliberately to prevent people doing this. There may be the odd cable where this is not the case, but it is not advertised so would involve a very expensive trial and error process! I only say “might” as it’s theoretically possible, but I’ve never heard of anyone doing this successfully.

Hart Murmur

Post by Hart Murmur » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:19 pm

Al's Ipace wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:20 am
Al's Ipace wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:46 pm
Hi Hart Murmur.
I have the same issue. The Car timed charge/precondition did work well. Now it just always goes into charger however it's set as soon as the cable is plugged in.

I have bought a ZMAi-90.

I am awaiting my new Electric Tails to move the Pod Point installed consumer unit and then add the ZMAi-90. This should then allow me to charge from 0.30am to 4.30am at my 5p Octopus tariff.
Will update once installed. I believe there are other forum members who have this setup.
Update........
Have now installed and it's working a treat. I can set the 0.30am to 04.30am Octopus Go tariff at 0.5p. I can even charge over a couple of days if needed. The app that goes with the ZMAI-90 takes a few minutes to set up but works well. Just plug the Ipace up and set up via phone indoors.
Thanks for this. I may check it out.

Hart Murmur

Post by Hart Murmur » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:40 am

Thanks for all the helpful advice from forum users.

I may possibly have worked out the reason why the Remote app wouldn’t allow me to pause the charging. I had set a departure time for 0820 so I presume at 0500 the car has started the precondition process and will be drawing power from the charger. I was able to pause the charge overnight with a departure time set of 1230.

However I now have the MyPace app, so will see if this works better.