Timed Charging Anxiety

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Hart Murmur

Timed Charging Anxiety

Post by Hart Murmur » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:45 am

Having conquered Range Anxiety I now have a new problem. Since switching to Octopus Energy and being determined to make use of the cheap 4 hour night rate I am waking at 4a.m. to stop the charge as I do not have a time switch on my Pod Point charger. However last night I kept getting error messages even using different devices and the charging stubbornly refused to stop. So this a.m. I now have a fully charged car, sleep deprivation, and not saved a penny! Any thoughts on why the charging wouldn’t stop?

Delta5

Re: Timed Charging Anxiety

Post by Delta5 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:16 pm

Change to Octopus Agile you then have cheap rate from 7pm till 7am and occasionally they pay you to charge the car. For typical cheap rate has been 6-7p a KWh average for the whole day 9-10p a KWH, what’s not go like.
IPace SE Caesium Blue, Ivory interior, Air suspension, 18in wheels, Drivers pack, 360. arrived 16th July, very nice.

Al's Ipace

Post by Al's Ipace » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:46 pm

Hi Hart Murmur.
I have the same issue. The Car timed charge/precondition did work well. Now it just always goes into charger however it's set as soon as the cable is plugged in.

I have bought a ZMAi-90.

I am awaiting my new Electric Tails to move the Pod Point installed consumer unit and then add the ZMAi-90. This should then allow me to charge from 0.30am to 4.30am at my 5p Octopus tariff.
Will update once installed. I believe there are other forum members who have this setup.
December 2019 I-Pace S | Firenze Red | Ebony Luxtex & Gloss Black Interior | 18" Style 1022 Silver Sparkle Wheels | Privacy Glass, | Software: S20B 20.27.3-568398| Pod Point Home Charger | https://share.octopus.energy/pale-pony-197

Jagman I-Pace

Post by Jagman I-Pace » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:30 am

If you have an android phone use the Wattcat app. It allows you to charge a set % or to start and stop the charge on a timed basis.occaisionally it overruns but in the main it works fine.
Corris Grey First Edition Oct 2018

Hart Murmur

Post by Hart Murmur » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:12 pm

IPhone unfortunately but I think there is a similar version of WattCat but not sure if it’s readily available yet. Normally if I wake early I can pause the charge easily via the Remote App but I was just getting error messages.

RobN

Post by RobN » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:20 pm

If you’re an iPhone user get the MyPace app. It let’s you set the window for charging (e.g. midnight to 7am as I have on Octopus E7) and set a max charge (I use 80% unless going on long journey next day). MyPace is really robust & reliable I recommend it, but it’s not on the App Store so you have to get it from the author on who’s on this forum (search for MyPace viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3392)
SE MY20 Corris Grey, 20” wheels, oyster leather 10 way seats, panoramic roof, black trim + privacy glass + 7kWh Podpoint & ICE XK8 Conv 1996 (Jag owner/enthusiast since 1994 :D )

51mes

Post by 51mes » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:51 am

This is not a wattcat issue, something is screwed @ jaguar or the car, the pause charging api function is fubarred, even jaguar remote fails.

Last night I watched it pause (my meter usage dropped) then restart 30 seconds later with no intervention on my part, then start to error every further call I made.

I too have a podpoint and am on octopus agile, had been using ardevd's jlrpy library to control things successfully until recently..
MY20 (Nov19) I-pace SE |AIR|Pan Roof|Light Oyster 10 way Heated Seats I Caesium Blue| 18" 5055 wheels
Infotainment 20C + Telematics 19.2 + H264 + H280| Podpoint 7Kw+ ohme cable for Octopus Agile charging.https://share.octopus.energy/sky-ape-579

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:10 am

51mes wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:51 am
This is not a wattcat issue, something is screwed @ jaguar or the car, the pause charging api function is fubarred, even jaguar remote fails.

Last night I watched it pause (my meter usage dropped) then restart 30 seconds later with no intervention on my part, then start to error every further call I made.

I too have a podpoint and am on octopus agile, had been using ardevd's jlrpy library to control things successfully until recently..
I’m also finding that the pause charging API command is very flakey at the moment. I haven’t had the TCU update so I don’t think it’s down to a change in the car. I suspect it’s something on the server side.

Al's Ipace

Post by Al's Ipace » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:20 am

Al's Ipace wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:46 pm
Hi Hart Murmur.
I have the same issue. The Car timed charge/precondition did work well. Now it just always goes into charger however it's set as soon as the cable is plugged in.

I have bought a ZMAi-90.

I am awaiting my new Electric Tails to move the Pod Point installed consumer unit and then add the ZMAi-90. This should then allow me to charge from 0.30am to 4.30am at my 5p Octopus tariff.
Will update once installed. I believe there are other forum members who have this setup.
Update........
Have now installed and it's working a treat. I can set the 0.30am to 04.30am Octopus Go tariff at 0.5p. I can even charge over a couple of days if needed. The app that goes with the ZMAI-90 takes a few minutes to set up but works well. Just plug the Ipace up and set up via phone indoors.
December 2019 I-Pace S | Firenze Red | Ebony Luxtex & Gloss Black Interior | 18" Style 1022 Silver Sparkle Wheels | Privacy Glass, | Software: S20B 20.27.3-568398| Pod Point Home Charger | https://share.octopus.energy/pale-pony-197

51mes

Post by 51mes » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:52 am

I'm on agile - so the offpeak times vary, I had started work on a set of scripts for the raspberry PI to manage charging based on a trigger price but the flaky jag software has caused me to abandon that project (not before buying a second PI as it started so well - thanks Jaguar).

As I mentioned in the Octopus Energy thread I've just bought the Ohme charge using the octopus/ohme collaboration discount pricing (199 not 399) it plugs into the podpoint type2 and puts an Octopus Agile (amongst others) integrated charge controller in line. Orering and delivery were easy I put in the request Sunday, my order was confirmed with the discount Monday morning - Work got in the way so I didnt get to pay until Monday night but and I got the charger Wednesday morning.

I set the maximum KW/H price plug the charger in and away it goes and will turn on and off when the price drops below my limit. It's getting it's first run out tonight set to 1.5p/KW/h, giving me 2 hours of charge for an Ohme estimated 46 miles for 14 pence (it logs into the jaguar API and pulls data from the car)..

One thing Al Go isnt 0.5p / Kwh at cheap rate ( as per your update) - it's 5p (as in your original post)... I looked at the wifi relay thing but as my podpoint junction box links to my meter both outside I really didn't feel comfortable going that way (it's also against part-p regs doing it yourself unless you are qualified). I would have needed to complete the work I was doing for agile charge management - but against the api for the switch...

Hopefully after biting the financial bullet this will be the final charging solution ...
MY20 (Nov19) I-pace SE |AIR|Pan Roof|Light Oyster 10 way Heated Seats I Caesium Blue| 18" 5055 wheels
Infotainment 20C + Telematics 19.2 + H264 + H280| Podpoint 7Kw+ ohme cable for Octopus Agile charging.https://share.octopus.energy/sky-ape-579