Apple Car Play Wireless Connection Adapter

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Post Reply
&roid
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:07 pm
Location: Manchester, England

Re: Apple Car Play Wireless Connection Adapter

Post by &roid » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:39 pm

A little update on my experience...

As mentioned up thread, using Apple maps instead of google makes a massive difference to the gps. It’s clearly passing the cars signal through. I’m much happier now, Apple maps is great so I’d be content to use this most days.

I’ve upgraded the firmware to the latest version, nice easy process, took just a few minutes. Unfortunately, it’s done nothing to help connectivity problems. When it works it’s great and just takes a few seconds, but about half the time the Bluetooth connection to the car2play just won’t hook up. Even resetting the unit doesn’t seem to help, the only way to fix it is to forget the Jaguar B866 connection in my phones Bluetooth list and start again.

Very disappointed so far :(
MY20 Borasco Grey HSE, black 20” wheels, contrast roof, delivered January 2020

NigelC
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:06 am
Location: Cornwall

Re: Apple Car Play Wireless Connection Adapter

Post by NigelC » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:29 pm

&roid wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:39 pm
A little update on my experience...

As mentioned up thread, using Apple maps instead of google makes a massive difference to the gps. It’s clearly passing the cars signal through. I’m much happier now, Apple maps is great so I’d be content to use this most days.

I’ve upgraded the firmware to the latest version, nice easy process, took just a few minutes. Unfortunately, it’s done nothing to help connectivity problems. When it works it’s great and just takes a few seconds, but about half the time the Bluetooth connection to the car2play just won’t hook up. Even resetting the unit doesn’t seem to help, the only way to fix it is to forget the Jaguar B866 connection in my phones Bluetooth list and start again.

Very disappointed so far :(
Same for me. I've been using the Car2Play unit over the last few days (prior to that I shoved it in a drawer in disgust) and I've found that when starting the car the car2play seems to connect to the infotainment system but that it doesn't see the Bluetooth link to the iPhone (IoS 14.3).

What I've been doing is unlocking my phone and opening the Bluetooth setting and manually connecting to the JagBxx. Once the connection is made it works fine. Unfortunately I don't know enough about Bluetooth, but I have other devices that seem to automatically connect to my phone without any issues whatsoever.

One thing that is quite interesting is once the Bluetooth connection is made and the Car2Play unit is working, the Bluetooth reading on my phone for JagBxx shows "not connected".

I still haven't been able to upgrade the firmware, as plugging the iPhone into the Car2Play unit (with the unit plugged into the car or inside the house into a usb power adapter) still doesn't do anything at all.

If anyone knows how to do a factory reset on these Car2Play units, or how to install the latest firmware, I'd be grateful if they would let me know.

Kind regards,
Nigel
MY 20 SE Corris Grey
Delivered 09/19
H264, H270, 20C

&roid
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:07 pm
Location: Manchester, England

Re: Apple Car Play Wireless Connection Adapter

Post by &roid » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:04 am

Interesting that it doesn’t show as connected when it’s working, I’ll check mine today. I think I’ve only ever looked when it’s not working and assumed that the Bluetooth was the problem as it wasn’t showing as connected.

I managed to update the firmware whilst connected wirelessly. The next time you get a good connection in the car just go to the IP address in your phones browser. It brings up a really basic website that says there’s an update available. A few minutes later and it was updated. Shame it didn’t fix the problems!
MY20 Borasco Grey HSE, black 20” wheels, contrast roof, delivered January 2020

NigelC
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:06 am
Location: Cornwall

Re: Apple Car Play Wireless Connection Adapter

Post by NigelC » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:23 pm

&roid wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:04 am
Interesting that it doesn’t show as connected when it’s working, I’ll check mine today. I think I’ve only ever looked when it’s not working and assumed that the Bluetooth was the problem as it wasn’t showing as connected.

I managed to update the firmware whilst connected wirelessly. The next time you get a good connection in the car just go to the IP address in your phones browser. It brings up a really basic website that says there’s an update available. A few minutes later and it was updated. Shame it didn’t fix the problems!
Thanks, will try logging into the IP address next time I'm out and about.

Just so that we are comparing like with like, when I'm in the car, my iPhone has Bluetooth on (obviously) and also a connection to Three, the phone and data service provider.

The iPace settings in the car are set to Data On, but Hotspot Off.

As mentioned before, I've had no luck whatsoever in updating when connecting the unit to my phone with a USB cable, but will give it a go wirelessly.

I sent an email to carplay2air, asking for the procedure to return the unit but never got a reply. A couple of days later I got a message from them asking me if I would like to post a review of the unit. I promptly submitted an honest review - it seemed rude not to!

Kind regards,
Nigel
MY 20 SE Corris Grey
Delivered 09/19
H264, H270, 20C

User avatar
ianipace
Posts: 324
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:11 pm
Location: Cardiff, UK

Re: Apple Car Play Wireless Connection Adapter

Post by ianipace » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:41 pm

Hi Nigel

I've just come in from the car and before I got out opened Safari on the iPhone and entered 192.168.50.2 in the Url bar. The result was a very basic web page with the option to update.
Even though I have found the dongle to 100% reliable in connecting, I bit the bullet and I went with it and lo and behold the device started the update procedure!
I looked at the LEDs on the dongle and the red and blue started to flash alternately which they did when I used the update on a USB stick loaded from golar3 download.
The message accompanying this was it would take some time! After a few minutes it announced 'update' complete'.
I then saw the Bluetooth bit of JJAGxxx etc. with ian's iPhone and Car Play was restored on the car's screen.
It was reliable before so I'll wait and see if it is as reliable now!

I wonder how many phones you have connected to the car, i.e. are there some legacy phones that could be deleted?
Bluetooth is very picky about the number of connections. So delete the ones on the car that are not used any more, similarly delete any unused ones on the iPhone. Start with a clean sheet.

My annoyance is that Waze takes the radio (DAB and FM) off and invokes the phones audio even though I don't want voice prompts and it is set off on the phone! The other apps don't do that!! Bloody Google who own Waze needs a kick! I bet Android Auto doesn't do that!

Stay safe

Ian
MY2019 SE in Caesium Blue. Panoramic roof and Gloss Black 18" wheels. Ohme Smart charger.

NigelC
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:06 am
Location: Cornwall

Re: Apple Car Play Wireless Connection Adapter

Post by NigelC » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:27 pm

ianipace wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:41 pm
Hi Nigel

I've just come in from the car and before I got out opened Safari on the iPhone and entered 192.168.50.2 in the Url bar. The result was a very basic web page with the option to update.
Even though I have found the dongle to 100% reliable in connecting, I bit the bullet and I went with it and lo and behold the device started the update procedure!
I looked at the LEDs on the dongle and the red and blue started to flash alternately which they did when I used the update on a USB stick loaded from golar3 download.
The message accompanying this was it would take some time! After a few minutes it announced 'update' complete'.
I then saw the Bluetooth bit of JJAGxxx etc. with ian's iPhone and Car Play was restored on the car's screen.
It was reliable before so I'll wait and see if it is as reliable now!

I wonder how many phones you have connected to the car, i.e. are there some legacy phones that could be deleted?
Bluetooth is very picky about the number of connections. So delete the ones on the car that are not used any more, similarly delete any unused ones on the iPhone. Start with a clean sheet.

My annoyance is that Waze takes the radio (DAB and FM) off and invokes the phones audio even though I don't want voice prompts and it is set off on the phone! The other apps don't do that!! Bloody Google who own Waze needs a kick! I bet Android Auto doesn't do that!

Stay safe

Ian
Hi Ian,

Just tried this. Went for a short walk with our dog this morning and drove a couple of miles or so to a local wood. On starting the car I had to fiddle around with the Bluetooth on the iPhone in order to get the CPlay2Air to connect wirelessly. Once connected it worked fine during our short drive. After our walk (approx 1 hour) we got back into the car and lo and behold the CPlay2Air started to play where we had left off.

When I got home I tried what you suggested and before getting out of the car (and whilst the CPlay2Air was still playing) I keyed the IP address for the CPlay 2Air and got a revolving circle, then a message saying that the firmware was up to date.

Image

The latest Firmware I have is 2020.11.10.2137

I'm going to try just letting the CPlay2Air unit do it's thing and see if it will start connecting to my phone and see how it goes.

My wife didn't have her phone with her this morning, and I've deleted the Bluetooth connection between my phone and the Jag's infotainment system, so the only Bluetooth connection concerning the car is the one for the CPlay2Air.

I'm hoping that this unit will now become a bit more stable.

Thanks again for your help.

Kind regards,
Nigel

IMG_1857.png

MY 20 SE Corris Grey
Delivered 09/19
H264, H270, 20C

User avatar
ianipace
Posts: 324
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:11 pm
Location: Cardiff, UK

Re: Apple Car Play Wireless Connection Adapter

Post by ianipace » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:51 am

Hi Nigel

Interesting.
I have to say mine has been 99% reliable. Yes sometimes it takes a bit of time to show the connecting screen, but it usually connects quite speedily. The times it has taken a bit more time are when I get in the car and immediately reverse out of a parking slot, then it does seem to take longer. Is the infotainment confused because I have instigated the rear camera? Maybe, using the camera twice in manoeuvring, and thus syncing up with the dongle is put on the back burner, I don't know.
We know the processor is at the limit on the MY20 cars, better in the MY21 with PiviPro.

In all honesty I can say I am very happy with the device, given these occasional glitches.
The Apple CarPlay screens are nice and colourful!
The one thing that does pi** me off is the way Waze grabs the audio and takes away the DAB radio that was playing! That is a Waze thing, even though it is set for no audio!
I first tried it to check the accuracy of the I-Pace speedo. At 50mph on the I-Pace speedo in an average speed section of the M27 the GPS speed was 47 mph, so at 54 mph I was really doing a legal 50mph!
The discrepancy is worse at 70mph, True 70mph is 75-76 on the speedo.
I have never understood why manufacturers have failed to link the Sat Nav GPS to the speedo, correcting it a bit like the MSF signal does on your radio frequency clock.

Stay safe

Ian
MY2019 SE in Caesium Blue. Panoramic roof and Gloss Black 18" wheels. Ohme Smart charger.

Abu Dhabi Dude
Posts: 1128
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:34 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Apple Car Play Wireless Connection Adapter

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:39 pm

NigelC wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:27 pm

Hi Ian,

Just tried this. Went for a short walk with our dog this morning and drove a couple of miles or so to a local wood. On starting the car I had to fiddle around with the Bluetooth on the iPhone in order to get the CPlay2Air to connect wirelessly. Once connected it worked fine during our short drive. After our walk (approx 1 hour) we got back into the car and lo and behold the CPlay2Air started to play where we had left off.

When I got home I tried what you suggested and before getting out of the car (and whilst the CPlay2Air was still playing) I keyed the IP address for the CPlay 2Air and got a revolving circle, then a message saying that the firmware was up to date.

Image

The latest Firmware I have is 2020.11.10.2137

I'm going to try just letting the CPlay2Air unit do it's thing and see if it will start connecting to my phone and see how it goes.

My wife didn't have her phone with her this morning, and I've deleted the Bluetooth connection between my phone and the Jag's infotainment system, so the only Bluetooth connection concerning the car is the one for the CPlay2Air.

I'm hoping that this unit will now become a bit more stable.

Thanks again for your help.

Kind regards,
Nigel
This may be unconnected but is it possible that you are connecting to the car’s Bluetooth as well as the CPlay2Air? I wonder if it’s some conflict between the phone decision which one it should pair with. Maybe disable the car Bluetooth profile on your phone and see if that helps? Unless it’s not set up to pair with the car, in which case disregard!

User avatar
ianipace
Posts: 324
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:11 pm
Location: Cardiff, UK

Re: Apple Car Play Wireless Connection Adapter

Post by ianipace » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:13 pm

My adapter has no problem linking to the car via the iPhone.
In an effort to try and sort this out I've just frozen my nuts off in the garage seeing exactly what happens when the phone is in the car and the ignition is switched on.

Initial status before turn ign ON.jpg

This the iPhone Bluetooth screen just before IGN turned on.

1st connected.jpg

The following sequence shows the car's Bluetooth connected.

All connected.jpg

Then all connected.
And the the Jaguar screen hasn't yet booted up!

Jaguar screen not up yet.jpg

The screen I really wanted to show comes after this - the dongle logging on so to speak was too quick to take a photo!

iPhone Bluetooth shows not connected.jpg

So what is giving the Apple carplay screen on the car?

Shot Apple Car Play.jpg

Wifi Screen on iPhone shows JAG98.jpg

I then saw the Wifi setting on the phone has this.

With Wifi on phone turned off you get this message.jpg

And if I turn the Wifi off I get this.

Trying to see what's going on with Bluetooth on the car I saw this.

Bluetooth appears not functional.jpg

So it would appear the Bluetooth connects the phone and car as normal, then the Bluetooth part of the dongle does its thing which would appear to initiate the Wifi part.

After handshaking the Bluetooth is turned off and the connection is via the wifi to the phone.
If any of trhis is helpful let me know as on my car and my iPhone it WORKS!

By the way mine is an iPhone 11 on iOS 14.3 and the car is on S20C and 19.2

Stay safe

Ian

Jaguar screen.jpg

MY2019 SE in Caesium Blue. Panoramic roof and Gloss Black 18" wheels. Ohme Smart charger.

User avatar
ianipace
Posts: 324
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:11 pm
Location: Cardiff, UK

Re: Apple Car Play Wireless Connection Adapter

Post by ianipace » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:41 pm

Three more photos to maybe help those who are not having total success with their CPlay2Air dongle.

I managed to get one shot of the screen as it went through its boot up sequence. There is a screen just before this, and when I manage to capture it I'll post it!!

2nd screen showing secondary screen.jpg

Next shot shows that the dongle Wifi is seen by the car.

Wifi on car showing JAGUAR93.jpg

Lastly, have you made sure in the Car Play options on the car Connectivity - Apple users.
Make sure this is set up correctly.

Apply CarPLay options in car.jpg

I hope this all helps, as when it works it is rather good, Apple Car Play with all its advantages, Google Maps and/or Waze to help you on your way.

Stay safe

Ian
MY2019 SE in Caesium Blue. Panoramic roof and Gloss Black 18" wheels. Ohme Smart charger.

Post Reply