Difference between remote climate app and preconditioning

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
fuseman

Difference between remote climate app and preconditioning

Post by fuseman » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:40 pm

I hope someone can advise on this point: -

Sitting in the I-Pace it is possible to pre-condition the vehicle for set times in the future - I presume this involves warming the batteries to optimal temperature.,

However the Jaguar remote app doesn't appear to have this option although you can set the climate in the vehicle to achieve a certain temperature remotely.

My question is - are these doing the same thing or are they different? I would imagine the remote app ought to be able to pre-condition the battery but I can't see that it explicitly does.

Any thoughts?
2020 HSE Corris Grey

russyj

Re: Difference between remote climate app and preconditioning

Post by russyj » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:08 pm

I can’t help but have also wondered this! It also appears that when I use the climate button on the app it turns off the preconditioning schedule and I have to go in and turn it back on.

RobN

Post by RobN » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:43 pm

I believe they actually result in the same outcome and have used both in different circumstances to the same effect - cabin is heated/cooled to predefined temperature & HV battery is brought to optimum temperature too. Judging by the reduction in SOC on each occasion being around the same I’ve concluded they’re the same.

I hope that helps.
SE MY20 Corris Grey, 20” wheels, oyster leather 10 way seats, panoramic roof, black trim + privacy glass + 7kWh Podpoint & ICE XK8 Conv 1996 (Jag owner/enthusiast since 1994 :D )

Maxwell_400

Post by Maxwell_400 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:40 am

RobN wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:43 pm
I believe they actually result in the same outcome and have used both in different circumstances to the same effect - cabin is heated/cooled to predefined temperature & HV battery is brought to optimum temperature too. Judging by the reduction in SOC on each occasion being around the same I’ve concluded they’re the same.

I hope that helps.
It depends if it is plugged in or not, from the manual;
"
Vehicle preconditioning provides cabin comfort before entering the vehicle and prepares it for the next departure time. It also preconditions the high voltage battery to its optimum operating temperature when the vehicle is connected to an external charging station.

If the vehicle is left plugged in, battery temperature is maintained within the operating range using energy from the electricity supply. Where a departure time is also set, battery temperature is managed to give optimal performance at the specified departure time.
"
I-Pace SE++, MY20, 18" summer & winter, no panoroof, towbar, spare wheel, 20C, TCU 19.2, BECS: BP-AAE-BC-AC-BE

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:56 pm

They both do similar things, but a set departure timer works better as the car will actually start to warm the batteries (if plugged in and charging) very slowly several hours before departure. If using the app to start the climate you will only receive a maximum of thirty minutes of battery warming.