Calling All I-Pace Owners Who Live/Drive in Scotland

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
JimA

Calling All I-Pace Owners Who Live/Drive in Scotland

Post by JimA » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:58 pm

I confess I’m a newbie when it comes to posting things on line.
I’ve had my I-Pace for some 10 months now. I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who’s had or is having a similar issue with charging their I-Pace, namely, “rapid” chargers operated by Charge Place Scotland. Most of them don’t work.
To be precise: I have attempted to charge the car at 12 CPS units (what a fun afternoon that was for my wife!) but only 5 of them were successful, meaning a 60% failure rate. Each unit which failed was given 3 ‘goes’ to start charging. All non CPS units work fine - BP Polar+ & Instavolt for example but these don’t exist north of say Perth. Annoyingly CPS units which you need to pay for are also successful.
CPS operates about 90% of the charging units in Scotland so what that effectively means is that there are huge swathes of the country I’m seriously nervous about going to – or rather coming home from!

Can anyone throw any light?

ChrisMc

Re: Calling All I-Pace Owners Who Live/Drive in Scotland

Post by ChrisMc » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:03 pm

JimA wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:58 pm
I confess I’m a newbie when it comes to posting things on line.
I’ve had my I-Pace for some 10 months now. I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who’s had or is having a similar issue with charging their I-Pace, namely, “rapid” chargers operated by Charge Place Scotland. Most of them don’t work.
To be precise: I have attempted to charge the car at 12 CPS units (what a fun afternoon that was for my wife!) but only 5 of them were successful, meaning a 60% failure rate. Each unit which failed was given 3 ‘goes’ to start charging. All non CPS units work fine - BP Polar+ & Instavolt for example but these don’t exist north of say Perth. Annoyingly CPS units which you need to pay for are also successful.
CPS operates about 90% of the charging units in Scotland so what that effectively means is that there are huge swathes of the country I’m seriously nervous about going to – or rather coming home from!

Can anyone throw any light?

Probably best you watch ADD videos about them, he will no doubt be able to give you the best up to date info on CPS chargers
MY20 - I Pace HSE EV400 Black, full black pack, Mars Red Windsor leather sports seats, gloss black 20” wheels etc
InControlTouch Pro: S20A_20.16.5-536345 Telematics: Was 14.2 Now 16.2 - H228, H264, H270

JimA

Post by JimA » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:21 pm

Thanks Chris.
ADD? I've searched for him but it comes up blank.

scm

Post by scm » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:21 pm

JimA wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:21 pm
Thanks Chris.
ADD? I've searched for him but it comes up blank.
Try Abu Dhabi Dude ... ;)

Peter34698

Post by Peter34698 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:30 pm

Funny you should mention the chargers,having used the CPS chargers for about 3 months including a trip to Inverness without any issues,I tried to use my local unit in the village about 3 weeks ago and it would not charge moved over to an A/C charger and it worked perfectly.
To add insult a M3 rolled up and plugged into the DC charger and of course it worked perfectly.
I called my local dealer and explained the problem, booked it in for the following week.
The dealer had the car for 3 days explained it needed a battery module software update which resulted in it charging with DC.
I then tried a DC charge the following week and surprise no DC charge at my local charger.
Booked the car back in and they found no fault in the system. I will try to charge again with DC next week,all in all rather frustrating.
Will probably live with it until my 21 M/Y arrives in December,luckily it is a Pivotal lease

JimA

Post by JimA » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:56 pm

Ta Peter,
Yeah, the A/C chargers work but dead slow. I think the car will only take a 7kwh A/C rate. And yes, I've seen all kinds M3, MS, ETron, and an MG with no problems at all. Kind of embarrassing really - yet my dealer reckons the car has no fault at all! The update to the battery module probably improved range too.

SammyD

Post by SammyD » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:45 pm

ADD has created a list of chargers in Scotland that work with the I-Pace. A lot of the CPS chargers that don't are of the old (as in ancient) types and CPS are not really working that hard to update them.
It was good that CPS got a network up and running early but with technology advancing the way it is, network operators have to keep investing or you end up with the situation we have now or worse, like the Ecotricity network.
Driving "Hirundo Rustica" since 15th Mar 2019. Lovely Jubbly :D :D
S20C since 11th Dec 2020 Maps : whatever is current/can be bothered to download

Lordjonny

Post by Lordjonny » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:49 pm

See my post just now in Technical (shoulda looked here 1st)
I don’t buy the fact that its a CS issue to deal with as all other manufacturers seem to manage it no problem and if you make a high tech car that cant talk to old tech then who’s the dumbo?
Ive had the car a year now and after some initial issues/ new charging port etc, on the whole i like it but this is now a complete game changer

Jagmanmick

Post by Jagmanmick » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:20 pm

The majority of chargers above Inverness are the older eVolt chargers that have problems with the Ipace but there are newer eVolt chargers going in which I believe work better with the Ipace although I can't confirm that. I have been told that the chargers on the Orkneys work ok with the Ipace but they are a different manufacturer. From what I gather there is timing problem which is supposed to be sorted by a board change in the older chargers to get them to work better with the Ipace but who pays for it is the big question.
MY20 I-Pace SE in Firenze Red. Took delivery 25/04/19 :D
Infotainment Software: S20C1_20.48.3-635557
Vehicle Connectivity System: 19.2
Battery energy control system: BP-AAE-BC-AC-BE

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:24 pm

This has been well discussed on the forums in the past. Basically, avoid evolt Compacts where possible and stick to evolt Raptions. There are some gaps in coverage so this is not always possible but it is often possible to plan trips around evolt Raptions.

This is a 30 second summary of the following video!