Octopus Energy - cheap overnight charging

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
e-racer

Re: Octopus Energy - cheap overnight charging

Post by e-racer » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:01 pm

Has anyone else had a bad experience with Octopus customer service? I can't believe how poor they have been considering all the 5 star reviews.

I switched to them in March and had the smart meter upgraded in July but still haven't been able to transfer over to the Go tariff. The in-house display shows the meter is working but they say they can't access it. Emails take weeks for a reply and it's always the same that the meter team will be in touch - we are 4 months in now.

I think I'm going to have to switch to EDF as the standard tariff isn't cheap.

sunnyjoe

Post by sunnyjoe » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:54 pm

e-racer wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:01 pm
Has anyone else had a bad experience with Octopus customer service? I can't believe how poor they have been considering all the 5 star reviews.

I switched to them in March and had the smart meter upgraded in July but still haven't been able to transfer over to the Go tariff. The in-house display shows the meter is working but they say they can't access it. Emails take weeks for a reply and it's always the same that the meter team will be in touch - we are 4 months in now.

I understand they respond more quickly to
twitter
facebook messenger
email smart@octopus.energy (I understand this is best)
Caesium blue SE, air suspension, adaptive dynamics, driver pack
Home charger: Ohme on Octopus Agile

bimjim

Post by bimjim » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:12 pm

e-racer wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:01 pm

I had ten weeks of chasing them, trying to find out why the switch to their Go tariff kept failing, but they never gave a satisfactory answer as to why. In the end I emailed the CEO and the issue was resolved in a couple of days. Good luck!
MY20 I-Pace HSE
MY19 I-Pace S - Gone

endoman

Post by endoman » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:00 pm

I've had quick and satisfactory responses from smart@octopus.energy
Santorini Black SE, MY18, Ebony / Mars Red performance seats, Pano, Air and Adaptive. Black trim, 20 Inch 5070 wheels, H264/280, S20C1_20.48.3-635557 19.2.
Ohme home charger, https://share.octopus.energy/funny-prawn-126

Delta5

Post by Delta5 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:40 pm

My changeover went entirely smoothly started on Octopus Go, they checked my existing smart meter and changed to Agile in about 6 weeks, information on bills and energy use very easy to access online. If they can’t read your smart meter Agile is not possible
IPace SE Caesium Blue, Ivory interior, Air suspension, 18in wheels, Drivers pack, 360. arrived 16th July, very nice.

Pjm1973

Post by Pjm1973 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:08 pm

My daytime use meant that it would be more expensive than my charging savings.
However sse now have a tariff that is pretty much the same as my daytime but gives 8000 miles a year free off peak charging
May be worth a look .

russyj

Post by russyj » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:30 pm

Octopus watch predicting 2.64p and 2230 tomorrow night, lowest for a while, could be dropping close to zero

Iflysolo

Post by Iflysolo » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:29 am

Hi Everyone

I’m on octopus too.

IMO they have aN even better tarried than Go. It’s called Agike. The prices track the half hourly electricity costs and quite regularly dip below the 5p that Go is set at. Sometimes even goes negative! Which means they pay you to use it.

If you subscribe to this tariff and get an Ohme smart charger which works with it, you can set a control that charges your car anytime when the rate drops below 5p and that could be anytime during the day, so just leave the car plugged in.

I’ve not seen the rate go much past 8p / 10p even during the day so can also make use of the cheaper periods for dishwashers etc and which you can monitor via apps such as Octopus Watchdog.

Yes, the tariff can go up to over 25/30p during early evening, so if you cook on electric that’s worth considering, but overall the average seems to run below 12p or so even taking into account the evening peak charges. Which is still considerably cheaper than my old Scottish Power tariff which was 18.6 day and 8.7 night!

I think it is a winner and I set my car to top up to 75% when ever below 5p and it just keeps it there.

SEPS

Post by SEPS » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:10 am

re SSE now have a tariff that is pretty much the same as my daytime but gives 8000 miles a year free off peak charging

Anyone know the unit costs for electricity and gas for this tariff?

51mes

Post by 51mes » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:59 am

My first 3 agile months with a little bit of time shifting - washer/dryer and charging, even with an electric oven have given me a blended average rate of 8.75p per Kw/h vs 14.07 for their standard rate.

Last nights car charge cost under a pound for 55kw/h, would have been less but the api is playing up, and didn't stop charging when asked.
MY20 (Nov19) I-pace SE |AIR|Pan Roof|Light Oyster 10 way Heated Seats I Caesium Blue| 18" 5055 wheels
Infotainment 20C + Telematics 19.2 + H264 + H280| Podpoint 7Kw+ ohme cable for Octopus Agile charging.https://share.octopus.energy/sky-ape-579