Octopus Energy - cheap overnight charging

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Tall Phil

Re: Octopus Energy - cheap overnight charging

Post by Tall Phil » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:30 pm

Delta5 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:28 pm
For most EV owners the cheapest would be Octopus Agile where low rate is 7 pm onwards rate varies from day to day but charging an EV will average 6 or 7p a KWH. An IPace is going to take 12hours to fully charge so you do need the longest period, peak rate is 4pm to 7pm if your household can avoid that period you will save a lot,
What is an Octopus Agile ballpark figure cost per kW during the peak period 4pm to 7pm?
First Edition, 01/2019

Mwright35

Post by Mwright35 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:53 pm

electric beagle wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:57 am
Isn't the unit rate very high for Octopus outside the off peak period? My standard unit rate is 12.9p (I don't have any off peak at the moment) but with Octopus peak it was something like 19p.

I won't be doing anything like enough charging at home to make that pay.
Ah my peak rate with Octopus is 13.5p and my current provider was 14.5p so it was a win win for me with the cheap overnight charging too. The gas rates with them were cheaper than my current supplier too!

Delta5

Post by Delta5 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:36 pm

Tall Phil wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:30 pm
Delta5 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:28 pm
For most EV owners the cheapest would be Octopus Agile where low rate is 7 pm onwards rate varies from day to day but charging an EV will average 6 or 7p a KWH. An IPace is going to take 12hours to fully charge so you do need the longest period, peak rate is 4pm to 7pm if your household can avoid that period you will save a lot,
What is an Octopus Agile ballpark figure cost per kW during the peak period 4pm to 7pm?
Today the peak rate from 4pm to 7pm ranges from 24 to 30p per KWH so you have to shift your heavy use outside those times, washing machine, tumble drier, cooking if you can. I’m retired it’s easy, if you have young kids coming home from school it will be harder.
IPace SE Caesium Blue, Ivory interior, Air suspension, 18in wheels, Drivers pack, 360. arrived 16th July, very nice.

Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:41 pm

And the price per kW for all hours outside those peak times are about 6 to 8p for any of the hours?
First Edition, 01/2019

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:53 pm

EDF energy all the way for me. The cheap rate at the weekend means I can charge my car during Saturday or Sunday without messing about with limited charging hours overnight during the week. It’s also handy because my oven etc. gets more use at the weekend as well.

You do get put on the ordinary electric car tariff to start with and after about four weeks you can change to the overnight tariff providing the signal is good enough for them to take readings.
MY20 HSE 22” wheels. Santorini Black.

Quakered

Post by Quakered » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:13 pm

Another vote for the EDF “Go Electric” Tarriff. We have PV and a Tesla Powerwall so we only imported less that 1,000KWHs PA from the grid before the EV arrived. This year has involved rather restricted driving and suspect our imports this year will be round 1,300 KWHs and maybe 1,800 to 2,000 once (if?) this plague ends. Since nearly all our imports are at night the Go tariff is ideal as it delivers us electricity at 8p/KWH for 58% of the week! The peak rate is over 20p/kwh but we use so little it is not an issue - also they dropped our Gas rate by 18% and as we use around 10,000 kWh of gas we should win hands down. Better still we installed our PV when Gordon Brown first introduced FiT payments and am please to report this will deliver over £2,000 this year, so overall EDF is paying us much more for our PV than they are charging us for gas and electricity!

The other advantage of EDF is they do not pay bribes so you don't have to end every post with a referral code in the hope of getting £50!
SE Firenze Red, Oyster leather, glass roof, HUD, Air Suspension, delivered 6/19

Delta5

Post by Delta5 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:38 pm

Quakered wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:13 pm
Another vote for the EDF “Go Electric” Tarriff. We have PV and a Tesla Powerwall so we only imported less that 1,000KWHs PA from the grid before the EV arrived. This year has involved rather restricted driving and suspect our imports this year will be round 1,300 KWHs and maybe 1,800 to 2,000 once (if?) this plague ends. Since nearly all our imports are at night the Go tariff is ideal as it delivers us electricity at 8p/KWH for 58% of the week! The peak rate is over 20p/kwh but we use so little it is not an issue - also they dropped our Gas rate by 18% and as we use around 10,000 kWh of gas we should win hands down. Better still we installed our PV when Gordon Brown first introduced FiT payments and am please to report this will deliver over £2,000 this year, so overall EDF is paying us much more for our PV than they are charging us for gas and electricity!

The other advantage of EDF is they do not pay bribes so you don't have to end every post with a referral code in the hope of getting £50!
Yes if you invested in PV and power wall you would import very little but that FIT scheme is no longer available in the UK, paying up front with no incentive does not seem to be popular
A PV plus Powerwall is going to cost £10,000 plus add to that any power you import
My Power costs £50 a month half of that charges the car, £600/yr so over 15 yrs to break even, energy prices may well rise over that time even so the benefit is very marginal if no subsidies are available
IPace SE Caesium Blue, Ivory interior, Air suspension, 18in wheels, Drivers pack, 360. arrived 16th July, very nice.

endoman

Post by endoman » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:58 pm

I'm on Agile, our average for 4 of us in the house with washing machine and dishwasher daily as well as home charging is a rate of 8.5p / kW/H for the last month. We just avoid 4-7 where possible, and charge via the Ohme when it's cheap overnight. Saving us a decent amount compared to their standard tarrif , and the comparison sites tell me I'm saving compared to using Octopus Go. It's not been a mega cheap month either for wholesale pricing.
Santorini Black SE, MY18, Ebony / Mars Red performance seats, Pano, Air and Adaptive. Black trim, 20 Inch 5070 wheels, H264/280, S20C1_20.48.3-635557 19.2.
Ohme home charger, https://share.octopus.energy/funny-prawn-126

sunnyjoe

Post by sunnyjoe » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:09 pm

Lots of useful stats here to help you decide about Octopus Agile (select your region)
https://www.energy-stats.uk/octopus-agi ... n-england/

Considering the chart of prices for the last 18 months, most EV users should be able to achieve an average price somewhere between "Average excluding 4pm to 7pm" and "minimum all day" prices.

Prices are high between 4pm to 7pm but most people choose to shift discretionary consumption (EV, washing machine, dishwasher etc.) out of that period while not allowing it to rule their lives (sitting in the dark waiting until 7pm to start cooking dinner).

There is an active Facebook group "Octopus Agile Chat"

To get the very best out of Octopus Agile I recommend the Ohme charger which exploits the variable prices to minimise charge costs
Caesium blue SE, air suspension, adaptive dynamics, driver pack
Home charger: Ohme on Octopus Agile

russyj

Post by russyj » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:18 am

I’ve just switched to Agile however it seems you need Ohme or Rolec + EV Energy to get the very best out of it, annoyingly I have a tethered Pod Point, if anyone knows of any smart way to charge (switch when price drops below X) that works with Pod Point I’d be grateful! Only way I can see is an Ohme 3pin but that’s not going to fully charge overnight!