Gap Insurance

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
craftyali

Gap Insurance

Post by craftyali » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:18 pm

Hi, we had GAP insurance with ALA when we bought our Maserati Ghibli. Now we have replaced that with the I Pace and going to transfer the policy over. It is more expensive to get the Vehicle Replacement cover now - about £150 more. Do we really need Vehicle Replacement cover? The Back to Invoice cover is more than £300 less.

Thoughts?

TIA, Ali x
MY2018 SE, Caesium Blue. Bought on 28th August 2020 from Swansea.

Fluff

Re: Gap Insurance

Post by Fluff » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:37 pm

Personally I follow the 'self-insure' route, so I have never taken Gap insurance, if one day I drive out of the forecourt, and my car gets written off, I will take all the money I saved over the years, and pay the gap myself.

Same for wheel insurance, minor damage insurance, tyre insurance, etc.

same for the paintwork treatment, much cheaper to pay a local detailer to do it, than give £300 to the salesman, and £200 to the guy that does it.
I-Pace SE 2019[Everything BLACK] Santorini,Pano, 20' BLACK,winter pack, adap cruise.

nipri

Post by nipri » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:28 pm

I never had GAP insurance until my I Pace. Some my friends car were stolen & one's who had GAP were obviously happy but especially one who didn't had to take a hit of almost £15000 for his Mercedes.
My GAP is with ALA & if you use code MSE25 will give 25% off the price!
In 2018 I bought not only back to invoice but also tyre insurance which has come very handy so far.
FE Photon Red 20" Wheels, Light Oyster since 09/18.
My new Love! ;)

Quakered

Post by Quakered » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:37 pm

I am also in the "self insure" group and also avoid the raft of "insurance" products that have arisen over the years. So no pet insurance, no extended warranty of household goods and, for the first few years, no house content insurance on the basis that we had nothing worth stealing! Also avoided PHI and medical cover. Definitely see the need for house and content, motor and travel but the rest benefit the supplier more than me and can think of many more deserving charities than insurance companies!

Life is tad more interesting if you take a few risks and your bank balance will be far healthier so when you retire you can afford to buy your car rather than rent it and therefore have no "gap" to cover!
SE Firenze Red, Oyster leather, glass roof, HUD, Air Suspension, delivered 6/19

electric beagle

Post by electric beagle » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:28 pm

Won't most good motor insurance policies offer new for old in the first year for write off?

The Gap thereafter gets a lot more questionable
Delivery October 2020 21 HSE, Portofino Blue, Oyster interior, Wireless Charger, Cupholder Covers, Active Air Suspension, Adaptive Dynamics, Clear Sight rear view mirror, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Upgraded Cabin Lighting, Aluminium trim

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Post by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:24 pm

Hi.

Just to let you know that we offer a 12 month product called Total Loss Protection. Whilst it's not exactly the same as your traditional GAP insurance we feel for some customers it can make a cost effective alternative.

Please feel free to take a look if you wish.

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/extras/total-loss/

Regards,

Dan.