Is there a off-switch saving more energy?

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Cuflee

Is there a off-switch saving more energy?

Post by Cuflee » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:21 am

Hi All,

I'm a bit amazed how much energy the car is consuming being idle (think it would be about 150W). I've had it parked 2 days in a row and it consumed 2 percent battery power a day (no, the lights were not on). Seems as if the car is wasting a full battery charge every ~1.5 month by either some functions (alarm, icontrol, ?) or simply the battery not holding on to the energy.

If you know you will not be using the car for a while (parked while on vacation for some weeks or simply not driving for a couple of days), would there be some kind of off-switch or deep-sleep-mode?

I know where the car is parked, so it will not need to update anything to iControl etc.. I could even live with the alarm being disabled if I park it within my garage box and I'm OK with a longer boot-sequence if I need it again after powering it down.

They say EV's are great for the environment, but if I fill my diesel car everything would still be full after some months where with the I-Pace it's simply gone.

Maxwell_400

Re: Is there a off-switch saving more energy?

Post by Maxwell_400 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:00 am

Diesel will also go bad eventually. My car does not use any power when it is idle, search the forums for "vampire" drain.
I-Pace SE++, MY20, 18" summer & winter, no panoroof, towbar, spare wheel, H264, H280, TCU 18.2, BECM: BP-AAE-BC-AC-BE

Cuflee

Post by Cuflee » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:03 am

Thanks, I will. I discussed this with my brother yesterday, he is driving a Tesla and is having the exact same issue only worse. His dealer told him the car would use 150W when idle and even about 250 when he is activating his sentry/guardian mode. I'll look into the vampire drain. Good to know that this should not happen, so hopefully it can be fixed.

ChrisMc

Post by ChrisMc » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:13 am

Cuflee wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:21 am
Hi All,

I'm a bit amazed how much energy the car is consuming being idle (think it would be about 150W). I've had it parked 2 days in a row and it consumed 2 percent battery power a day (no, the lights were not on). Seems as if the car is wasting a full battery charge every ~1.5 month by either some functions (alarm, icontrol, ?) or simply the battery not holding on to the energy.

If you know you will not be using the car for a while (parked while on vacation for some weeks or simply not driving for a couple of days), would there be some kind of off-switch or deep-sleep-mode?

I know where the car is parked, so it will not need to update anything to iControl etc.. I could even live with the alarm being disabled if I park it within my garage box and I'm OK with a longer boot-sequence if I need it again after powering it down.

They say EV's are great for the environment, but if I fill my diesel car everything would still be full after some months where with the I-Pace it's simply gone.
I've left mine for weeks on end a number of times and not lost even 1%, something doesn't sound right with yours. Teslas are well known for having a phantom battery drain, but the I Pace is very good in that department and doesn't usually loose anything over a few weeks, certainly not 2% a day! Search the forum there are lots of posts about this and ADD did a video on it.
MY20 - I Pace HSE EV400 Black, full black pack, Mars Red Windsor leather sports seats, gloss black 20” wheels etc
InControlTouch Pro: S20A_20.16.5-536345 Telematics: Was 14.2 Now 16.2 - H228, H264, H270

Cuflee

Post by Cuflee » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:23 am

Tnx, I'm going to switch dealer. They keep telling me with everything it is just they way it is, while indeed this does not seem right for the I-Pace. I'm away for this weekend again so I'll be sure to monitor the idle car consumption again then. If it keeps draining about 2% a day I'll have it checked elsewhere.

HSE

Post by HSE » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:32 am

If the outside temperature is falling you may get a range prediction reduction, interpreted as a loss of % charge. As others, I have seen very little evidence of phantom drain with time occurring with my I-Pace. I don't think there is any way to turn off the car completely.

MvM

Post by MvM » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:04 am

Cuflee wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:21 am
Hi All,

Your car's behaviour is certainly NOT normal!
I have left my car (in Rotterdam) parked for 4-5 days in a row without losing a single % of energy. GOM Range would be exactly the same, even with the alarm on. Vampire drain in my view is something that belongs to Tesla's with all kinds of systems running the background.

The only thing that I can think of is that if the temperature has dropped significantly during those two days. Only then could the charge and range suddenly become less.

(On the flip side, if the temp goes up, your range could increase. I came home on Monday with 93 km range at 23%. Temperature was around 16 degrees.
I went for a drive yesterday evening with a temperature of around 28 degrees and my range had jumped to 99 km at 24%. My trip was 44 km and I ended up with still 63 km of range).

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:55 am

Here’s the video that was mentioned earlier, showing what you should be expecting.

JAGiAM

Post by JAGiAM » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:21 am

I haven't noticed any Phantom Drain so far - but I'm a bit puzzled at observing a 1.0 - 2.0 % drop whenever I sit in the car for an hour or two with it Switched OFF but with the Radio/DAB on/or while attempting to understand the various car menu functions. Also it's the first I've heard that the car shuts down after 4 days and how does the InControl (or WattCat) App manage to work for 4 days when mine fail to connect within an hour after locking up.
I-Pace MY20 HSE, Corris Grey, Oyster Leather Interior, 18” 5055 rims, Panoramic Roof, Active Air Suspension, AdSR etc..

HSE

Post by HSE » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:10 pm

The sleep function is one to become familiar with before taking a winter holiday - being able to get the car climate-conditioning itself before you return to collect it from the airport car-park is one of life's luxuries, not to be missed. To make sure this is available you have to programme a wake-up day before you return, and do that before the car goes into sleep mode. Of course, if you forget, the car will still unlock and wake-up in response to the key command, but it won't be as welcoming :-)