Green number plates?

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
RobN

Green number plates?

Post by RobN » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:27 pm

I read back in June that the government had approved the use of special green number plates for BEVs from 1st September onward. A green stripe will go on the left hand side (where you often find the country flag or EU flag and GB). Autocar have now covered this too https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/1045 ... ber-plates. The idea is not only to promote the concept of BEVs by making them standout but also it may be used to identify vehicles for discounts or concessions.

I'm thinking of ordering some for my I-Pace, but a preliminary search of online reg-plate companies failed to find any offering these new plates. Out of interest, is anyone else on the forum, in the UK, considering getting these and do you know anywhere that can supply them?

Best, Rob

green-plates.jpg

SE MY20 Corris Grey, 20” wheels, oyster leather 10 way seats, panoramic roof, black trim + privacy glass + 7kWh Podpoint & ICE XK8 Conv 1996 (Jag owner/enthusiast since 1994 :D )

Thincat

Re: Green number plates?

Post by Thincat » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:37 pm

I was also planning to get some for my I-Pace, perhaps we can jointly make it worth a supplier giving us a discount?
It occured to me that the easiest thing to do would be to apply a self adhesive vinyl green number plate on top of the old number plate, rather than have to unscrew the existing ones and screw on the new ones (presumably having to make holes in the right place.
Cesium Blue HSE no sunroof, air suspension, HUD. Changed 20in wheels to 18in :D .

scm

Post by scm » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:45 pm

Making holes in the right place is easy if you use the old plate as a temp-plate (see what I did there?).

Coggeshallman

Post by Coggeshallman » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:17 am

I have the same idea having just seen it in Auto Express, I would have thought the logical move would be to ask your dealer after all I assume they will be fitting them to all EVs they register after 1st September.
Corris Grey, Oyster Interior, Panoramic Roof, Front Fogs, Ambient Lighting.

RobN

Post by RobN » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:12 am

Thanks for replies, in truth I'm not too worried about changing physical plates as I've done this many times to transfer my personal reg. to pervious Jags. It's very straightforward and as SCM said you just use the old one as a template (nice pun SCM!).

A sticker might work but will probably wear badly over the winter and not look good on such a nicely designed car, also the letter spacing may not be right to look balanced if you just put a green sticker on the side..

I'll have a chat to a couple of number plate makers and the dealer and see what's available. Thanks Thincat the idea of a bulk buy discount is good thought, if enough members wanted to have new plates. I'll see what can be negotiated once I've found the supply route...

Best, Rob
SE MY20 Corris Grey, 20” wheels, oyster leather 10 way seats, panoramic roof, black trim + privacy glass + 7kWh Podpoint & ICE XK8 Conv 1996 (Jag owner/enthusiast since 1994 :D )

Quakered

Post by Quakered » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:10 pm

Just a bit of virtue signalling? I can't see any other reason to adopt it. I know their was talk about allowing cars with the green flash to use bus lanes and maybe free parking. If this was introduced then great although I suspect if you used the bus lane and got stuck behind a bus at stop, no one would let you out!
SE Firenze Red, Oyster leather, glass roof, HUD, Air Suspension, delivered 6/19

Johnsoncp

Post by Johnsoncp » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:48 pm

I'm getting new plates fitted on Thursday and I just contacted my Jaguar main dealer to ask if they will have the green flash. No one there had any idea they existed so I will be getting the standard plates.