Should it come with a data SIM?

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Cuflee

Should it come with a data SIM?

Post by Cuflee » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:22 pm

Hi All,

I bough a 2018 model I-Pace from the official Jaguar Dealer last week. It has InControl services untill 11/10/2028 and under Pro services it states the services will be provided by a SIM card.

Now my question is, should the car be delivered with a DATA SIM for this period? The dealer told me to go and buy a data SIM myself to fully utilize these services. It will cost about 5 euro a month, but that will almost be 500 euros until 11/10/2028.

As I mentioned to the dealer I've seen people and the services page mention a "predelivered" data SIM, they answered that for cars dating 2020 and above they have a dealer solution (free service) with a card for a period of 3 years after purchase, but my car is older so that does not work and I would have to purchase the SIM myself.

Are they right? Or do all people buying (older) I-Paces have a data-sim freely included for the periode the InControl services are valid? Cause if that is the case I will complain some more :-).

Thanks for taking the time to read and perhaps comment on this.

endoman

Re: Should it come with a data SIM?

Post by endoman » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:33 pm

I bought a used car. It had a data SIM included, but I took it out within 5 minutes of ownership and replaced with a pre paid SIM . 24 GB for £45.00

Don't know if this will work in Netherlands, or you can get something similar.
Santorini Black SE, MY18, Ebony / Mars Red performance seats, Pano, Air and Adaptive. Black trim, 20 Inch 6007 wheels, H264/280, S20B_20.30.2-578440, 19.2.
Ohme home charger, https://share.octopus.energy/funny-prawn-126

Cuflee

Post by Cuflee » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:39 pm

Hi, yes, I did purchase a 1GB SIM from vodafone and it works (needed to be activated on a normal cellphone first, was a bit hard trying to find one still accepting micro-sim). But the data will expire every month. So this will cost me 5 euros a month. And if it should have been delivered with a data sim already untill 2018, why not use the integrated SIM? Saves me a beer every month. Don't think you can google or watch netflix on the car itself, so it's for the route and control services only. Everyone in my family has a data SIM in their phone, so WIFI sharing will not soon be used.

Volkswarren

Post by Volkswarren » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:25 pm

Best to ditch it anyway, 500mb only lasted me a day last time i plugged it in.

I do stream spottily and use the navigation though.
HSE, Caesium Blue, 22" 5056 Alloys, Oyster Leather, Active Air Suspension, Cold Pack, Black Pack, Privacy glass and Pano roof. Podpoint Homecharger. Telematics: 19.2 | InControl: S20B1_20.30.2-578440. https://share.octopus.energy/sunny-moth-32

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:11 pm

I installed a Three 12GB Data card at the beginning of February and have done a couple of software updates, navigation and Spotify - all in Europe but mainly Ireland. Bought from Amazon - quite a bit cheaper than Three retail - currently £29.99. Arrived 2 daya after ordering. No issues although the I-Pace did switch it off once, via the settings, and it took me a few days to figure out what had happened!

If you're in Europe, don't get the 24GB card as you'll only get 12GB roaming. 12GB is 12GB roaming too.

If your home/office wifi extends out to your parking spot, you can do updates etc with that too.

Over 7 ½ months I used a fraction over 7 ½ GB and still have 5.4 GB left. Checking data used/remaining on the Three website is straightforward.

Overall, approx £30/annum (€35) is a data charge I can live with!

HTH.
I-Pace HSE, Silicon Silver, Fog Lights, Active Suspension with Adaptive Dynamics. Garage Door Opener (HomeLink) Pan Roof
Previous: TVR Chimera, Audi A8, BMW i3, BMW i8

Jeggo

Post by Jeggo » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:06 am

Hello,

before you buy a SIM card or sign a contract, try to test the SIM card in the I-Pace.
Not all cards are working!
So either try to get a test sample or ask someone who has the desired SIM card.

Here in Germany I got an Ubigi SIM card with my 2019 model. This card only allows 3G.
This is very important, as the 3G network is migrated to 4G. So in a lot of places you have
no network at all.

For the new MY 2021 Jaguar seems to supply a 4G card. So at least, they learned a little...

CU

Jens

Cuflee

Post by Cuflee » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:33 am

Thanks all. I thought they were supposed to deliver a SIM with the pro services, but it seems this is only a service and you have to provide your own SIM. The vodafone option within the Netherlands seems best for this and works (5 euro a month for 1GB). I thought I'd go without the online services as I have downloaded the latest offline maps and have all my music on USB, but I need the online functions with the alarm / tracking functions for the insurance company.

I did also have issues getting the SIM to work, seems I had to activate it on a regular cellphone first, after that everything was fine.

HSE

Post by HSE » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:21 am

I believe that the car communicates data for the Jaguar Remote app, anti-theft tracking, and JLR-Assist calls, through an internal SIM, NOT the one installed in the accessible slot in the center-console. Supply of removable SIMs for the center-console, with levels of free data, is territory-specific.