Howto update offline navigation charts?

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Garryjw

Re: Howto update offline navigation charts?

Post by Garryjw » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:40 am

And

Might help
My company car is a MY19 Firenze Red I-Pace HSE with Black Trim, HUD, Cold Weather Pack and Fog Lights.
Watch my i-Pace adventures on the iPaceOwner YouTube channel https://YouTube.com/iPaceOwner

endoman

Post by endoman » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:04 pm

The speed limiter is useful, and you can also press the plus button to set it at a little over the speed limit to offset the error in the speedo. eg setting at 33 in a 30, it also moves to 43, 63, 73 etc automatically.

You do need to keep your eye on it though, locally it thinks a 70 mph dual carriageway is a 30 as it reads the sign on the off ramp, and sometimes puts in a random 20 when I know it's 30 so I tend to use it mainly in unfamiliar areas with potential for lots of cameras.
Santorini Black SE, MY18, Ebony / Mars Red performance seats, Pano, Air and Adaptive. Black trim, 20 Inch 6007 wheels, H264/280, S20B_20.30.2-578440, 19.2.
Ohme home charger, https://share.octopus.energy/funny-prawn-126

Terry60

Post by Terry60 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:27 am

ChrisMc wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:17 pm
CaptainJAG wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:28 pm
The USB Stick has to be formatted to FAT32 by factory... if you do this with „normal“ tools e.g. on Apple Mac OS the car will not accept the Stick ... quite anoying stuff 🙄
There is a program or App for Windows and Mac OS to download the map data. This will copy it direct onto the Stick.
It also takes 5 Minutes or so until the car will check the stick and ask to start the update... you have to be patient 😎
On the other hand, if you buy a 128Gb Sandisk there is no buggering about to do with formatting anything, it works straight out of the box. ;)
I don't know how Chris, this is the latest release of Downloader and it's still insistent on FAT32, though I can't remember if that "Format Now" button was there on previous releases. Perhaps this version is clever enough to do the formatting successfully without needing the intervention of 3rd party freeware.

maps.JPG

Ex A3 e-tron (138mpg over 4 years)
Now in Black HSE (every tech option, no bling) MY20 VIN 829.. IC S20B1_20.30.2 Tele 16.2 Maps 111.157
Awaiting PV, Powerwall, Zappi.
Looking forward to free motoring. (barring the cost of all the kit !)

Jeggo

Post by Jeggo » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:58 am

Hello,

advice from my side: Only start an update, when you do not need the navigation system after this!

I had this scenario several times with MacOS X:
- Download new map data on USB stick (takes up to 2h even on a fast system).
- Map download program displays "success".
- Started update in car.
- Old map data is erased.
- Failure of installation of new map data.
- Result: Unusable navigation system without any map data.

As mentioned, I had this scenario several times in the past. What seems to help, is to manually erase (not format) the stick before you download new map data. And this is not caused by the used USB stick, as it happened with different types and it work several times without any problems. It is not very reliable and every map update takes roughly 2-3h.
What was also mentioned several times before: Why do I need maps of Russia, when I live and travel in central Europe?

CU Jens

ChrisMc

Post by ChrisMc » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:21 am

Terry60 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:27 am
ChrisMc wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:17 pm
CaptainJAG wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:28 pm
The USB Stick has to be formatted to FAT32 by factory... if you do this with „normal“ tools e.g. on Apple Mac OS the car will not accept the Stick ... quite anoying stuff 🙄
There is a program or App for Windows and Mac OS to download the map data. This will copy it direct onto the Stick.
It also takes 5 Minutes or so until the car will check the stick and ask to start the update... you have to be patient 😎
On the other hand, if you buy a 128Gb Sandisk there is no buggering about to do with formatting anything, it works straight out of the box. ;)
I don't know how Chris, this is the latest release of Downloader and it's still insistent on FAT32, though I can't remember if that "Format Now" button was there on previous releases. Perhaps this version is clever enough to do the formatting successfully without needing the intervention of 3rd party freeware.
Hi Terry - I updated my maps end of last week, used my Sandisk 128Gb stick again and no formatting required. Actually, I have never seen that screen before, is it something new, only in the last few days or are you using a different site to me?

BTW my update was 33Gb, not 29.5 ? very odd.

My screen below, I downloaded a new version of map updater before downloading the updates and didn't have those formatting instructions, I use this site https://www.jaguar.here.com/index.php then go to Maps and Services

Capture.JPG

MY20 - I Pace HSE EV400 Black, full black pack, Mars Red Windsor leather sports seats, gloss black 20” wheels etc
InControlTouch Pro: S20A_20.16.5-536345 Telematics: Was 14.2 Now 16.2 - H228, H264, H270

RobN

Post by RobN » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:20 am

Hi Terry,

Like ChrisMc I've not seen the format option when loading a new map. This maybe because the USB stick I use is already correctly formatted.

I've seen quite a few folk struggle with this topic (both on Mac and PC) of getting a stick correctly formatted. I played around with it for a while then realised the quickest way was to simply buy a good quality pre-formatted stick. I use Sandisk 64Gb FAT32 USB 3.0 stick (don't go for 3.1 it can be problematic) and it works flawlessly. You can get one from Amazon and for £16 save yourself a lot of hassle.

I hope that helps.

Best, Rob
SE MY20 Corris Grey, 20” wheels, oyster leather 10 way seats, panoramic roof, black trim + privacy glass + 7kWh Podpoint & ICE XK8 Conv 1996 (Jag owner/enthusiast since 1994 :D )

wilco

Post by wilco » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:42 am

RobN wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:20 am
Hi Terry,

Like ChrisMc I've not seen the format option when loading a new map. This maybe because the USB stick I use is already correctly formatted.

I've seen quite a few folk struggle with this topic (both on Mac and PC) of getting a stick correctly formatted. I played around with it for a while then realised the quickest way was to simply buy a good quality pre-formatted stick. I use Sandisk 64Gb FAT32 USB 3.0 stick (don't go for 3.1 it can be problematic) and it works flawlessly. You can get one from Amazon and for £16 save yourself a lot of hassle.

I hope that helps.

Best, Rob
Be careful with this. I have ordered a 64Gb 3,0 stick from a number of suppliers, Amazon included & they all sent a 3.1 stick. None of them worked & I returned them.
S, Borasco Grey, 18" wheels, oyster leather, gesture tailgate. Software S20A_20.16.5-536345 & 17.2, H228

ChrisMc

Post by ChrisMc » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:27 am

This is a bit odd, this is what I ordered October last year and have used it ever since with no problems it states 3.1 in the title line but lower down in the description states USB 3.0, the long description then states USB 3.1, ......... I have checked the actual USB stick and it doesn't state anything on that. But at least it works flawlessly without formatting.
MY20 - I Pace HSE EV400 Black, full black pack, Mars Red Windsor leather sports seats, gloss black 20” wheels etc
InControlTouch Pro: S20A_20.16.5-536345 Telematics: Was 14.2 Now 16.2 - H228, H264, H270

Terry60

Post by Terry60 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:28 pm

I don't have a problem. I use an old 64Gb Lexar USB3.0 stick which I reformatted FAT32 for Maps some time ago (at the insistence of the website), using a freeware utility after the MS format chugged on for an age, only to announce at the very end of all that wasted time that it didn't support FAT32 > 32Gb.
The freeware did the job in seconds and many, many updates have proceded flawlessly using that stick all year.
The latest version of the downloader program (@Chris - yes that's the same website) was sprung on me minutes before my previous post.
I didn't need the latest update (already done) but I entered the site just to get a screenshot of that "FAT32 only" message for the reply to Chris and when I clicked on the download (with no intention of following through), it just popped up with a message that a later release was available, so I updated before taking that screenshot and was surprised to see the auto-format offer.
I have no need to use the format facility, but I imagine they must have put it there because of the problems with using native Windows format.
My "Maps" stick wasn't plugged in when I took that screenshot, but here's one with it present.
As you can see, it still offers to format any non-FAT32 stick with enough capacity to take the download.

mapsu.JPG

Ex A3 e-tron (138mpg over 4 years)
Now in Black HSE (every tech option, no bling) MY20 VIN 829.. IC S20B1_20.30.2 Tele 16.2 Maps 111.157
Awaiting PV, Powerwall, Zappi.
Looking forward to free motoring. (barring the cost of all the kit !)

ChrisMc

Post by ChrisMc » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:36 pm

Terry60 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:28 pm
I don't have a problem. I use an old 64Gb Lexar USB3.0 stick which I reformatted FAT32 for Maps some time ago (at the insistence of the website), using a freeware utility after the MS format chugged on for an age, only to announce at the very end of all that wasted time that it didn't support FAT32 > 32Gb.
The freeware did the job in seconds and many, many updates have proceded flawlessly using that stick all year.
The latest version of the downloader program (@Chris - yes that's the same website) was sprung on me minutes before my previous post.
I didn't need the latest update (already done) but I entered the site just to get a screenshot of that "FAT32 only" message for the reply to Chris and when I clicked on the download (with no intention of following through), it just popped up with a message that a later release was available, so I updated before taking that screenshot and was surprised to see the auto-format offer.
I have no need to use the format facility, but I imagine they must have put it there because of the problems with using native Windows format.
My "Maps" stick wasn't plugged in when I took that screenshot, but here's one with it present.
As you can see, it still offers to format any non-FAT32 stick with enough capacity to take the download.
Terry

I updated my map downloader just prior to downloading the update last week and never saw any format options. Also, my update download for the maps was 33Gb, not 29.5 like yours. Can't understand why they should be different?