I-Pace test drive

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
uhhu

Re: I-Pace test drive

Post by uhhu » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:48 am

Thanks for all the replies. I do understand that my experience is based on my local area, which may be due to lack of use, and if used more, issues would be reported more often and quicker, thus better service. I would also be getting a 22kw charger installed meaning I would never really need to use my local area.
However, if my local area is as bad as it is, I worry about other semi-rural areas that I may need to go to for work. Knowing that there are maps like that posted above, and that planning is key, goes some way to allaying my fears of being stranded.

The car itself was nice to drive. I had the SE model, missing the likes of the head up display and some other nice-to-haves, but I was reasonably happy with it.
Motorway driving was excellent, cruise control on, and off we go. The responsiveness of the cars acceleration is excellent for overtaking, pulling out at corners and roundabouts. Whilst the automatic braking when releasing the accelerator peddle took a bit of getting used to, it ended up being something I liked. Rather than braking into corners, I could just take my foot off the accelerator through the bend, then back on. A far nicer experience than normal.
For a £70k car, it doesn't feel as luxurious as say, a Range Rover Sport which would fit into the same price bracket for the PHEV.

I've got the Audi e-tron next.

Thincat

Post by Thincat » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:15 am

Don't forget to tell us how the e-ton compare with the i-Pace!
Cesium Blue HSE no sunroof, air suspension, HUD. Changed 20in wheels to 18in :D .

wilco

Post by wilco » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:39 am

hereu wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:53 pm
uhhu wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:14 pm
Thanks for that. Interestingly, there is nothing along the M74 until you get to Gretna. I suppose the back up needs to be Dumfries if in that area?
I live in the Dumfries area.

There are a couple of pairs of Instavolt chargers within 2 miles of each other on the Dumfries bypass that works perfectly well with a swipe of a credit card.

Bannatyne's and Costa Coffee.
In my experience Instavolt are very reliable, if I were to choose one provider then it would be Instavolt. They always seem to work & are very easy to use with a contactless payment. They don't have the numbers on the ground yet though.
Polar are pretty good, not as reliable but make up for this by sheer numbers, not sure that there are that many in Scotland yet. Again most are now working with contactless payment.

Driving an EV does take a bit of planning but the situation is improving all the time.

Oh yeah, the Ipace is an awesome drive.
S, Borasco Grey, 18" wheels, oyster leather, gesture tailgate. Software S20A_20.16.5-536345 & 17.2, H228

Volkswarren

Post by Volkswarren » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:02 pm

The new polar chargers are fine, it the older ones that cause issues.
HSE, Caesium Blue, 22" 5056 Alloys, Oyster Leather, Active Air Suspension, Cold Pack, Black Pack, Privacy glass and Pano roof. Podpoint Homecharger. Telematics: 19.2 | InControl: S20B1_20.30.2-578440. https://share.octopus.energy/sunny-moth-32

sunnyjoe

Post by sunnyjoe » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:00 pm

uhhu wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:48 am
I would also be getting a 22kw charger installed meaning I would never really need to use my local area.
That sounds like a 30A three phase AC charger.

The present model (MY2020?) can only charge maximum 30A single phase = 7kW

The next iteration (MY2021?) will have a three phase AC on board charger which can charge at 11kW
Caesium blue SE, air suspension, adaptive dynamics, driver pack
Home charger: Ohme on Octopus Agile

uhhu

Post by uhhu » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:36 am

Thincat wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:15 am
Handing back the Audi E-Tron today after having it for the weekend. The car arrived late and so I couldn't use it for what I had planned and therefore did not get to test the chargers local to me. However, I had it long enough to drive around the country roads near me and use it for the day-to-day use it would have if I owned it.

On the I-Pace, the controls are on either side of the steering wheel, they are symmetrical and very easy to use (this may be due to me having a RR and an RR Sport previously). Setting cruise control was a doddle and playing with the media was dead easy.
On the e-Tron, it was old fashioned almost. Three separate stalks doing different things, plus buttons on the steering wheel. It was a bit like the old Porsche 997/987 models, a stalk for wipers/indicating, wipers, cruise control. On the steering wheel there was a scrolling wheel, view button, select, and then a page tab on one side, and then phone on the other. It was all black plastic meaning it was difficult to know what was to do what without looking down. Once I got the hang of cruise control, it was fine as I didn't need to use much else. The rear wiper was a real pain, couldn't get it to stop or slow frequency of wipes, so it kept wiping dry (obviously driver error).
On the I-pace, the centre console is 2 touch screens with dials for changing temperature controls, which makes it easy to put the temperature up and down, on and off. The media screen at the top is intuitive. Again, is this because I know the system?
On the e-Tron, everything is touchscreen, but with a button behind it. A bit like the Blackberry touch (came out the same time as the iPhone 3). This is better than a normal touch screen but takes time to get used to.

Based on just this, the I-Pace is a better fit.

The I-Pace is much faster, and drives like a car rather than an SUV. The e-Tron is a bigger car, and therefore feels like an SUV when driven. Given I will be using this as a family car, I prefer the SUV. I prefer the size, and prefer the drive. For example, automatic braking when you lift off the accelerator - a bit of a pain and I had to change my driving style within the I-Pace, whereas within the e-Tron, this isn't an issue.
The car interior of the e-Tron feels more luxurious, and there is more space in the back of the car for passengers of the e-Tron than the I-Pace, again preferred.
I also like that it looks like an Audi, rather than a head turner. I've never based a buying decision on how a car looks from the outside, given I spend my time inside, but the Audi is a nicer looking car to me, and more understated.

The major disadvantage of the e-Tron is the price. Everything is an added extra. JLR have made it easy, they offer three variants and you know what you get with each. Whereas the e-Tron, needs add on plus add on to get the car with the right tech. I would rather have less choice. Three variants would be fine.

Overall, I prefer the e-Tron, but could easily could get an I-Pace if the pricing for the e-Tron doesn't work for me.

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:50 am

uhhu wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:36 am
Thincat wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:15 am
Handing back the Audi E-Tron today after having it for the weekend. The car arrived late and so I couldn't use it for what I had planned and therefore did not get to test the chargers local to me. However, I had it long enough to drive around the country roads near me and use it for the day-to-day use it would have if I owned it.

On the I-Pace, the controls are on either side of the steering wheel, they are symmetrical and very easy to use (this may be due to me having a RR and an RR Sport previously). Setting cruise control was a doddle and playing with the media was dead easy.
On the e-Tron, it was old fashioned almost. Three separate stalks doing different things, plus buttons on the steering wheel. It was a bit like the old Porsche 997/987 models, a stalk for wipers/indicating, wipers, cruise control. On the steering wheel there was a scrolling wheel, view button, select, and then a page tab on one side, and then phone on the other. It was all black plastic meaning it was difficult to know what was to do what without looking down. Once I got the hang of cruise control, it was fine as I didn't need to use much else. The rear wiper was a real pain, couldn't get it to stop or slow frequency of wipes, so it kept wiping dry (obviously driver error).
On the I-pace, the centre console is 2 touch screens with dials for changing temperature controls, which makes it easy to put the temperature up and down, on and off. The media screen at the top is intuitive. Again, is this because I know the system?
On the e-Tron, everything is touchscreen, but with a button behind it. A bit like the Blackberry touch (came out the same time as the iPhone 3). This is better than a normal touch screen but takes time to get used to.

Based on just this, the I-Pace is a better fit.

The I-Pace is much faster, and drives like a car rather than an SUV. The e-Tron is a bigger car, and therefore feels like an SUV when driven. Given I will be using this as a family car, I prefer the SUV. I prefer the size, and prefer the drive. For example, automatic braking when you lift off the accelerator - a bit of a pain and I had to change my driving style within the I-Pace, whereas within the e-Tron, this isn't an issue.
The car interior of the e-Tron feels more luxurious, and there is more space in the back of the car for passengers of the e-Tron than the I-Pace, again preferred.
I also like that it looks like an Audi, rather than a head turner. I've never based a buying decision on how a car looks from the outside, given I spend my time inside, but the Audi is a nicer looking car to me, and more understated.

The major disadvantage of the e-Tron is the price. Everything is an added extra. JLR have made it easy, they offer three variants and you know what you get with each. Whereas the e-Tron, needs add on plus add on to get the car with the right tech. I would rather have less choice. Three variants would be fine.

Overall, I prefer the e-Tron, but could easily could get an I-Pace if the pricing for the e-Tron doesn't work for me.
With respect to the braking, it sounds like the I-pace you drove was set in high regen mode. You can change this to low, which would cause it to drive the way you prefer (no single pedal driving). However, I truly think one you get used to it you will end up preferring single pedal driving. Most end up preferring it, but even if you are not one of those, you can leave it in low regen mode.