I-Pace test drive

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
uhhu

I-Pace test drive

Post by uhhu » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:19 pm

Hi - new to forum and new to e- vehicles.

I have just completed a weekend test drive of a Jaguar I-Pace (HE). The car was dropped off on Thursday and picked up on Tuesday.
The person dropping the car off told me that the charging point at Hamilton Services didn't work, and so they drove to my local town hall which has a rapid charger - that didn't work either despite being on the phone to them for 30 mins. I charged the car overnight using the 3 pin plug at my house (24% to 100% would take 30 hours according to the dashboard display!).
I drove to the local Aldi store to use the fast charger there the next day, that didn't work either. I phoned the charging network company who thanked me for reporting this issue. I then drove to Glasgow City Centre where I charged up for 2 hours on a fast charge, then back home to use the 3 pin charger overnight on the Friday, and then again overnight on the Saturday. On the Sunday I dropped down to 40% through using the car. I went to the local Intu shopping centre to use the rapid charger - that didn't work and no one at charge network Scotland answered the phone to help me solve the problem, meaning I had to take it home to use the 3 pin charger again.

Between myself, and the drop off driver, we tried 5 charge points in Scotland, and 1 worked. Have I been incredibly unlucky, or is the charge network not there yet?
If I buy an e-vehicle I will have a charger installed at my home, meaning I wouldn't need to use the local charge points. But if I have to drive to a customer in North England or further north in Scotland, I would need to be sure chargers do work, otherwise I would be stuck.

What are peoples experiences?

Abu Dhabi Dude

Re: I-Pace test drive

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:51 pm

uhhu wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:19 pm
Hi - new to forum and new to e- vehicles.

I have just completed a weekend test drive of a Jaguar I-Pace (HE). The car was dropped off on Thursday and picked up on Tuesday.
The person dropping the car off told me that the charging point at Hamilton Services didn't work, and so they drove to my local town hall which has a rapid charger - that didn't work either despite being on the phone to them for 30 mins. I charged the car overnight using the 3 pin plug at my house (24% to 100% would take 30 hours according to the dashboard display!).
I drove to the local Aldi store to use the fast charger there the next day, that didn't work either. I phoned the charging network company who thanked me for reporting this issue. I then drove to Glasgow City Centre where I charged up for 2 hours on a fast charge, then back home to use the 3 pin charger overnight on the Friday, and then again overnight on the Saturday. On the Sunday I dropped down to 40% through using the car. I went to the local Intu shopping centre to use the rapid charger - that didn't work and no one at charge network Scotland answered the phone to help me solve the problem, meaning I had to take it home to use the 3 pin charger again.

Between myself, and the drop off driver, we tried 5 charge points in Scotland, and 1 worked. Have I been incredibly unlucky, or is the charge network not there yet?
If I buy an e-vehicle I will have a charger installed at my home, meaning I wouldn't need to use the local charge points. But if I have to drive to a customer in North England or further north in Scotland, I would need to be sure chargers do work, otherwise I would be stuck.

What are peoples experiences?
The video below will walk you through the whole ChargePlace Scotland and I-Pace issue. It’s entirely possible to drive around Scotland but you do need to know what chargers to avoid.

In addition, this thread contains a map of reliable chargers in Scotland (all networks, not just ChargePlace Scotland) - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3253

uhhu

Post by uhhu » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:14 pm

Thanks for that. Interestingly, there is nothing along the M74 until you get to Gretna. I suppose the back up needs to be Dumfries if in that area?

Are the charging points on that map you've linked to, always working? I was somewhat surprised that the Charge Your Car app was showing chargers as working, when they weren't, and there was no support available.

Is it common for a non-working charger to just need reported and it will be rebooted? I have just check the ZapMap App and it's showing that the chargers which didn't work on Friday, have had someone use them yesterday.

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:38 pm

ZapMap isn’t great for serviceability checks. Some companies give them live data, but with someone then if somebody can’t charge and reports it at checking, it stays as unserviceable in the app until someone else checks in and says it’s working. On some chargers that can take a month. And sometimes it’s not even faulty. It might be an iPace or an etron driver who couldn’t charge just because it wouldn’t work with his car.

No chargers are 100% reliable in terms of serviceability but I have to say that in my experience CPS are pretty good on that front. The Swarco business manager (who are responsible for the charger maintenance) is extremely active and gets things done quickly. The biggest issue is the number of those Compact chargers that they have.

hereu

Post by hereu » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:53 pm

uhhu wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:14 pm
Thanks for that. Interestingly, there is nothing along the M74 until you get to Gretna. I suppose the back up needs to be Dumfries if in that area?
I live in the Dumfries area.

There are a couple of pairs of Instavolt chargers within 2 miles of each other on the Dumfries bypass that works perfectly well with a swipe of a credit card.

Bannatyne's and Costa Coffee.
Blue, cream, pana, gesture etc 20" HSE

RobN

Post by RobN » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:11 pm

Hi Uhhu,

The forum members in Scotland are much better qualified than I to comment on the public chargers available, but I would add that if you buy an I-Pace you absolutely should get a fast home charger (e.g. Pod-Point or similar). This means you have a 7kWh charger on hand to top up the car overnight and then it’s only on long journeys (230+ miles) you need to do a bit of planning and use public chargers. Life then becomes much easier.

I hope you like the car, it’s a great drive!

Best, Rob
SE MY20 Corris Grey, 20” wheels, oyster leather 10 way seats, panoramic roof, black trim + privacy glass + 7kWh Podpoint & ICE XK8 Conv 1996 (Jag owner/enthusiast since 1994 :D )

MvM

Post by MvM » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:51 pm

Wow, that is some disappointing experience to read.

So far, in almost 10 months of ownership and 22K km, I have had only ONE instance where a charger didn't work immediately. A single phone call to the number listed on the charge point itself solved that problem in about 5-10 minutes. They reset the charging point and after that no more problem.

Are there too many different CP operators in the UK that things don't work so often, is it a general lack of interest or is it simply they don't care.

Setting up a charging point in the end costs money and quite a bit too I imagine. You would expect a company to do its job in making sure that investment is recuperated as quickly as possible.

Crazymind

Post by Crazymind » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:00 pm

Hi, here from Glasgow!
Just ove a month into ownership and 1000 miles.
I have charged the car once at home, 40 miles topup, 960 miles charged using public (free to use) chargers.
So far I have noticed a pattern: If I have more than 190 miles range left, the chargers tend to fail charging. Same charger failing the day before worked a treat the day after. I am using always the same 4/5 chargers. I go to Aldi East Kilbride, 7 kWh charger. Good for 30 miles refill while buying groceries.
So far experience positive. Sometimes they don’t work, never mind.

endoman

Post by endoman » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:36 pm

Crazymind wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:00 pm
Hi, here from Glasgow!
Just ove a month into ownership and 1000 miles.
I have charged the car once at home, 40 miles topup, 960 miles charged using public (free to use) chargers.
So far I have noticed a pattern: If I have more than 190 miles range left, the chargers tend to fail charging. Same charger failing the day before worked a treat the day after. I am using always the same 4/5 chargers. I go to Aldi East Kilbride, 7 kWh charger. Good for 30 miles refill while buying groceries.
So far experience positive. Sometimes they don’t work, never mind.
You must be a slow shopper! I plug mine in at Tesco 7kWh, and just about get enough in to cover the 8 mile return trip.
Santorini Black SE, MY18, Ebony / Mars Red performance seats, Pano, Air and Adaptive. Black trim, 20 Inch 5070 wheels, H264/280, S20B_20.30.2-578440, 19.2.
Ohme home charger, https://share.octopus.energy/funny-prawn-126

Crazymind

Post by Crazymind » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:52 pm

Yep, never less than 1 hour...