Rapid chargers test run: unexpected result

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
fa147

Re: Rapid chargers test run: unexpected result

Post by fa147 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:37 pm

scm wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:30 am
I reckon wherever the port is situated someone will find it inconvenient.
I don't mean to come across as a Tesla fan boy, but as the saying goes, "you've got to give the devil his due".

Tesla have located the charge point of all of their cars at the back of the car and as close to the end as possible. I think that is a far better way of doing it than at the front or the front side of the car.

My reasons (and they could all be wrong):
1- The car is parked with the front of the car away from the charging station.
2- Most cars look their best at the front, so why have an ugly bottom showing. Have you seen how nice it is when you drive up to a Supercharger locations and there's a fleet of Tesla all facing outwards?
3- Reversing into a space is easier that driving into it as nearly all cars have reversing camera, but not all cars have front cameras and proximity sensors.
4- The rear of most cars are (broadly speaking) boxed shaped and you don't have to place the charging cable across the body work. Whereas you might have to put the charging cable across the bonnet to reach the charge ports if they are at the front.
I-Pace MY20 HSE, Corris Grey, Ebony/Ebony Interior, 20” Grey & Diamond Turned, Panoramic Roof
IMC: S20B 20.27.3-568398 | Telematics: 16.2 | Map 08.030.0110.0153
Home Charging: Zappi 2.0

scm

Post by scm » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:40 pm

fa147 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:37 pm
2- Most cars look their best at the front, so why have an ugly bottom showing.
Ah, you've explained Jaguar's dilemma - the I-Pace doesn't have a bad angle and certainly not an ugly one. ;)

EV i fi

Post by EV i fi » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:53 pm

fa147 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:37 pm
scm wrote:
I don't mean to come across as a Tesla fan boy, but as the saying goes, "you've got to give the devil his due".

Tesla have located the charge point of all of their cars at the back of the car and as close to the end as possible. I think that is a far better way of doing it than at the front or the front side of the car.

My reasons (and they could all be wrong):
1- The car is parked with the front of the car away from the charging station.
2- Most cars look their best at the front, so why have an ugly bottom showing. Have you seen how nice it is when you drive up to a Supercharger locations and there's a fleet of Tesla all facing outwards?
3- Reversing into a space is easier that driving into it as nearly all cars have reversing camera, but not all cars have front cameras and proximity sensors.
4- The rear of most cars are (broadly speaking) boxed shaped and you don't have to place the charging cable across the body work. Whereas you might have to put the charging cable across the bonnet to reach the charge ports if they are at the front.
I think I'd be happy with the charge socket either right at the front or right at the back. Of the two, I'd probably prefer the front, so I can get to the boot easily.

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:01 pm

scm wrote:
fa147 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:24 am
To be fair, I’m not sure the charge port on the I-Pace is best placed for the purposes of it being an EV.
Agreed. I’ve heard Leaf owners complain about a front charge port at charger where you park side on and the charger is in the centre of the bay. Unfortunately there are so many parking bay/charger layouts that there is no perfect position for a charge port. Have to say, I’ve found that the Jag port works at every charger I’ve used. Wish I could say the same for the chargers themselves! :lol:

Daon7800

Post by Daon7800 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:30 pm

Almost like the charging port positioning and the design of chargers should be an international standard for all to comply with. Most ICE are rear panels, albeit a mix of left or right hand side, but I do seem to remember a big Jag or Daimler had the filling cap on top of the rear wing.
Youlong White HSE MY20.
Info: S20B_20.27.3-568398 VCS: 18.2 BECS: BP-AAE-BC-AC-BE

scm

Post by scm » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:09 pm

Daon7800 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:30 pm
Almost like the charging port positioning and the design of chargers should be an international standard for all to comply with. Most ICE are rear panels, albeit a mix of left or right hand side, but I do seem to remember a big Jag or Daimler had the filling cap on top of the rear wing.
Well, ICE fillers are positioned conveniently for the fuel tank position, whereas cables to the battery can be (and are!) run from anywhere!