Rapid chargers test run: unexpected result

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
EV i fi

Rapid chargers test run: unexpected result

Post by EV i fi » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:03 pm

Since getting an iPace last week, my first EV, I have been charging with the Granny cable as my Podpoint doesn't work (see other thread: engineer coming tomorrow).

This has been OK to top-up so far as my most common commute is about 40miles a day.

However, I have a longer trip starting early this Saturday (5am) and since it is inflexible on timing I though I'd use spare time today for a tour of various DC rapid chargers I'm likely to use.

I was already aware of the flakiness of Ecotricity CCS charging, perhaps more so with the iPace, so I planned preferential use of Polar/BP Chargemaster and Shell.

I had registered the relevant apps, noting that the BP Chargemaster app migrated my account from Polar (Instant and Plus), for which I have registered as a "free" 3 month trial. I have no RFID cards (in the post still) but the apps claimed to negate these...

I tried three Polar/BP Chargemaster chargers, including a new-looking 150KwH near Newport, S Wales (not that the iPace can charge at that rate)

ZapMap suggested all were working but none of the three (CCS) worked with the app and the helpline could not fix remotely. The helpline did get Type2 charge going on my 3rd charger but at a lowly 2%/hr.

This is the screen the BP Chargemaster app always got stuck on:

I logged these issues on ZapMap and shall have to retry with RFID card until they sort the apps.

The Shell charger was simplicity itself: contactless debit card worked, so I didn't try the app. The station was a bit cramped- will only charge one vehicle at a time at that site. Good rate of charge, considering I was starting at 75% just to test if it worked.

The surprise was that the easiest and fastest charges were courtesy of much-maligned Ecotricity/Electric Highway!
As a newbie, I've taken on board the message that they are unreliable. Granted, ZapMap had CCS as working at all 3 locations that I tried, but I was taking that with a pinch of salt.

Newbie observations:

-BP/Polar needs RFID card/fob despite new app that is meant to do away with this clutter
-Ecotricity worked today, at different sites, without any glitches
-Shell contact-less debit card worked well
-Newest 150kWH BP charger design was by a moron: v short cable so car has to be tight up against machine, blocking the small illegible screen (and cable hangs across awkwardly, so you have to lean round it to see if things are working, or walk round, away from plug.) The photo doesn't show the concrete step/plinth that is behind the post, adding to the obstacles blocking access to the display and controls. Why not put them on the side? I presume the short, stiff cable is because of the higher current for 150kWH rates.

Negatives aside, I spent over 6hrs driving around and never felt short of somewhere to charge (though I enviously eyed the banks of functioning Tesla Supercharger at Sarn!) even without Polar/BP (there were lots of options but I gave up after 3, assuming that the same problem would occur with each.)

Hopefully the need for apps and RFID cards will become a thing of the past.

Delta5

Re: Rapid chargers test run: unexpected result

Post by Delta5 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:59 am

Agreed, the new 150kw Chargemasters are not great the cable only just reaches an IPace, contactless is 40p a kw and charge rate was about 30 kw/hr. On the plus side it did work and passed the time with a fellow IPace owner charging on the next unit.
IPace SE Caesium Blue, Ivory interior, Air suspension, 18in wheels, Drivers pack, 360. arrived 16th July, very nice.

fa147

Post by fa147 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:24 am

Delta5 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:59 am
Agreed, the new 150kw Chargemasters are not great the cable only just reaches an IPace, contactless is 40p a kw and charge rate was about 30 kw/hr. On the plus side it did work and passed the time with a fellow IPace owner charging on the next unit.
To be fair, I’m not sure the charge port on the I-Pace is best placed for the purposes of it being an EV.

It feels as though it was designed by an ICE engineer looking at a petrol station layout rather than current electric charging locations and layouts.
I-Pace MY20 HSE, Corris Grey, Ebony/Ebony Interior, 20” Grey & Diamond Turned, Panoramic Roof
IMC: S20B1_20.30.2-578440 | Telematics: 16.2 | Map 08.030.0110.0153
Home Charging: Zappi 2.0

EV i fi

Post by EV i fi » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:16 am

The other important finding was that the basic "S" spec seats were very comfortable, though that's obviously a personal matter.

Johnsoncp

Post by Johnsoncp » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:10 am

Thanks for the information. I've had my SE for a week, used 29% of the battery and not charged it yet. I will try the 13amp mains socket charge soon. I am actually really nervous about even attempting a journey where I have to charge away from home. So much so that should I have to do a longer journey, I'll probably take my petrol car. What a shame that Jaguar can't reach an agreement to use Tesla chargers.

SammyD

Post by SammyD » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:30 am

Johnsoncp wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:10 am
Thanks for the information. I've had my SE for a week, used 29% of the battery and not charged it yet. I will try the 13amp mains socket charge soon. I am actually really nervous about even attempting a journey where I have to charge away from home. So much so that should I have to do a longer journey, I'll probably take my petrol car. What a shame that Jaguar can't reach an agreement to use Tesla chargers.
Says the owner with TWO Ionity sites in his county (Milton Keynes and Beconsfield). :lol: :lol:
Ok, so the latter isn't finished yet but there are lots of us here who go out on trips in the Jag and really not worry about getting a charge. As long as you give it some thought and have a plan 'B' you will be fine.

Go out for short trips with more than enough battery to get home. Then try some different chargers. The easiest seem to be Instavolt and Shell Recharge as they take contactless (no app required). That will give you confidence to go further.

As for using Tesla Chargers? That is as likely as the tooth fairy coming tonight.
Driving "Hirundo Rustica" since 15th Mar 2019. Lovely Jubbly :D :D
S20A_20.07.5-507626 Maps : whatever is current.

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:35 am

SammyD wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:30 am
The easiest seem to be Instavolt and Shell Recharge as they take contactless (no app required). That will give you confidence to go further.
Engenie too. They also take contactless, don’t charge extra for the privilege, and only take a pre-auth of £5. And they’re reliable, with a minimum of two chargers per site.

Johnsoncp

Post by Johnsoncp » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:12 am

The Milton Keynes charger is a 45 mile return journey and the Beaconsfield services are a 40 mile return journey. Nice for a drive but not very practical really. I will try some 'test' charges when I don't need to, to see how I get on. That's good advice. I hope in the future that these companies will all get their act together and let you just turn up, charge and pay in the same way I buy petrol rather than having all this app controlled stuff. I am completely happy with using apps but how ridiculous. In this time when the govenment is trying to encourage electric cars it's this type of thing that puts off potential buyers.

As an aside, one of our neighbours said I could just use their charger in their drive. She said it isn't locked. Theoretically, can you just pull into anyone's drive and charge your car?

SammyD

Post by SammyD » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:20 am

Johnsoncp wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:12 am
The Milton Keynes charger is a 45 mile return journey and the Beaconsfield services are a 40 mile return journey. Nice for a drive but not very practical really. I will try some 'test' charges when I don't need to, to see how I get on. That's good advice. I hope in the future that these companies will all get their act together and let you just turn up, charge and pay in the same way I buy petrol rather than having all this app controlled stuff. I am completely happy with using apps but how ridiculous. In this time when the govenment is trying to encourage electric cars it's this type of thing that puts off potential buyers.

As an aside, one of our neighbours said I could just use their charger in their drive. She said it isn't locked. Theoretically, can you just pull into anyone's drive and charge your car?
I'm generally parked in the way of my charger but if I'm going out for the day, I lock it. The Pod-Point Charger I had installed in 2016 came with an external lock so no, no one can just turn up and steal my leccy. If anyone knocks on my door and is down to their last kWh then I'll happily let them charge enough to get home.
Driving "Hirundo Rustica" since 15th Mar 2019. Lovely Jubbly :D :D
S20A_20.07.5-507626 Maps : whatever is current.

scm

Post by scm » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:30 am

fa147 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:24 am
To be fair, I’m not sure the charge port on the I-Pace is best placed for the purposes of it being an EV.
I reckon wherever the port is situated someone will find it inconvenient.