Home Charger tips

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
fa147

Re: Home Charger tips

Post by fa147 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:27 am

Abu Dhabi Dude wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:43 pm
Yeah it’s just something worth checking in advance to make sure you can get it set up in the way you want.
My installer also said the same thing as I needed to install the charger outside and if I didn’t go for the Zaapi 2.0 (with an earth capability) I would have had to install earthing rod. Honestly, don’t let an earth rod get in the way of installing it in the best place, as an earthing rod is a one time headache, whereas making sure your charger is where you want will give you benefit a good 30-50 times a year, if not more.
I-Pace MY20 HSE, Corris Grey, Ebony/Ebony Interior, 20” Grey & Diamond Turned, Panoramic Roof
IMC: S20B1_20.30.2-578440 | Telematics: 16.2 | Map 08.030.0110.0153
Home Charging: Zappi 2.0

starlir

Post by starlir » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:00 am

I had BP Chargemaster to fit my charger. It was sited inside the garage but near to the door as I charge on the drive. The earth spike was straightforward, a 1 metre drill bit to drill a hole in the garage floor and then drive the spike in. The earth measurement has to reach a certain minimum value and I was told that on rare occasions that was a problem depending on the constituency of the ground, ie. shale causes an issue. The need for the spike for outside charging is apparently that certain faults in the charger could cause the car chassis to become live and as the vehicle may be touched by third parties then that represents a safety issue. I’ve also read elsewhere that some of the more recent chargers have designs that avoid the need for a spike for external charging.
I-Pace HSE Santorini Black, Panoramic Roof, Air Suspension, 22” 5066 Wheels
S20A_20.07.5-507626
Telematics 16.2

russyj

Post by russyj » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:04 am

Just to balance the experiences, I had a pod point fitted externally and no earth spike - house is only 2 years old though so may have a split neutral/earth as mentioned previously.

Makelapayton

Post by Makelapayton » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:34 am

Hi I had a pod point fitted back in April. Its mounted outside with no earth spike. My house was built in 1983. I had the 7.5 cable fitted which cost an extra £200, which I thought expensive for 3m of cable. I found out why. When unit comes it has standard 4.5 m cable, which they remove and then wire in 7.5m.

It’s now been installed for 3months and do not know if it works. Car coming tomorrow so looking forward to testing.

sunnyjoe

Post by sunnyjoe » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:41 am

I believe it is only the Zappi charger which includes built in protection against failure of the neutral conductor in properties with a PME (TN-C-S) electrical supply which is one of the most common types in UK. According to UK wiring rules, all other chargers, if used to charge outside, must have an earth rod to prevent danger in this situation.

Realistically, the same problem could occur if charging inside a garage too.
Caesium blue SE, air suspension, adaptive dynamics, driver pack
Home charger: Ohme on Octopus Agile

sunnyjoe

Post by sunnyjoe » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:45 am

I see that Pod point also includes protection against failure of the neutral conductor. Therefore no earth rod would be required.
https://pod-point.com/electric-car-news ... od-details
Caesium blue SE, air suspension, adaptive dynamics, driver pack
Home charger: Ohme on Octopus Agile

Crazymind

Post by Crazymind » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:47 am

I picked pod point because it was the cheapest and do not require earth rod. Inside or outside I think it doesn’t make any difference. I am correct?

Crazymind

Post by Crazymind » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:44 am

Electrician is here. First good news is he couldn t get hold of the 5mt cable and I get free 7.5mt.
This unexpected gift now change the original location of the charger. (I didn’t want to pay 200quid extra to fit it where is now going).
It’s going to the short side of the wall and it is long enough to charge the car in the driveway as well.
Bad news the cable running in the kitchen ceiling.
When my wife comes home will ask divorce😬

scm

Post by scm » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:34 am

Crazymind wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:44 am
When my wife comes home will ask divorce😬
Win win, then? :lol:

JJipace

Post by JJipace » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:41 am

starlir wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:00 am
I had BP Chargemaster to fit my charger. It was sited inside the garage but near to the door as I charge on the drive. .
My BP Chargemaster was fitted this year and I am moving house.

I rang them to ask for the three year warranty documentation to be sent over but they said it wasn't transferable, they also said that the whole back end (the app etc.) is not able to be used by any future owner of the house. Essentially they inherit a dumb charging point.

I think this is ridiculous.
No Ipace yet.