Home Charger tips

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Crazymind

Home Charger tips

Post by Crazymind » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:46 pm

Hi folks. Tomorrow pod point will Install my home charger. Any suggestion or tip to choose the right position? It will go in my garage. What are the common mistakes when installing the charger?
Any regret?

fa147

Re: Home Charger tips

Post by fa147 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:21 pm

Have you ordered tethered or untethered?

I would suggest a central location if you want to install at the back of the garage, that way you cover most bases as far as different cars and their charging locations/side.
I-Pace MY20 HSE, Corris Grey, Ebony/Ebony Interior, 20” Grey & Diamond Turned, Panoramic Roof
IMC: S20B1_20.30.2-578440 | Telematics: 16.2 | Map 08.030.0110.0153
Home Charging: Zappi 2.0

Crazymind

Post by Crazymind » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:28 pm

Thethered unit. It should be 4.5 mt iof cable.
My idea is to install it on the long side of the wall half way so I can charge the car inside or outside ( I’ll have my 1975 volvo soon back in the garage and the double garage can’t really take both cars...)

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:09 pm

Crazymind wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:46 pm
Hi folks. Tomorrow pod point will Install my home charger. Any suggestion or tip to choose the right position? It will go in my garage. What are the common mistakes when installing the charger?
Any regret?
Just be aware that your installer may insist that the charger must be positioned in such a way that the cable cannot reach outside the garage. Mine did this, as otherwise he would have us to install a ground spike (high cost and large disruption due to our garden and paths). So the charger had to go at the back of the garage but the cable still reaches the charge port no problem. However, it meant that actually getting to the charger while the car is plugged in was impossible. Luckily my charger has no controls on it at all (everything controlled by an app) but if I needed to physically press anything on the charger it would not be possible. Some chargers now have built in earth protection which avoids the need for a ground spike, but not all do. Check this if it would make a difference in your circumstances.

Crazymind

Post by Crazymind » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:13 pm

I have heard this before. They can’t let the cable to go out... find this bizzarre. I have no use for the charger to be far away... if my classic car is in the garage I would need the cable to charge my car outside... I don’t really see any safety hazard... what is unsafe about that?

Davereddevil

Post by Davereddevil » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:20 pm

My Podpoint is also being installed tomorrow but had the 7.5m tethered. I did to make sure i had enough cable length in case we change one of the other cars to electric. I assume i can choose to have it installed inside or outside but guess I’ll find out in the morning.

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:53 pm

Crazymind wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:13 pm
I have heard this before. They can’t let the cable to go out... find this bizzarre. I have no use for the charger to be far away... if my classic car is in the garage I would need the cable to charge my car outside... I don’t really see any safety hazard... what is unsafe about that?
You’re perfectly able to do that, but it either has to be either a charger with built-in ground protection or you have to have an Earth spike fitted. This can be expensive as it requires a cable run to an area of soft ground where the spike can be placed, and the cabling then has to be channeled through any paths or slabs. It can be done, but there is a cost and a certain degree of disruption with some amount of excavation and/or ground work required.

It’s something to do with the building regs for protection of circuits which are exposed to weather. I’m no electrician so I don’t know the regulation numbers etc, but I believe it’s not something the installers have any say over.

Crazymind

Post by Crazymind » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:06 pm

I see your point but this pod point charger is weatherproof, only the end of the cable will Be outside... who knows :)

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:43 pm

Crazymind wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:06 pm
I see your point but this pod point charger is weatherproof, only the end of the cable will Be outside... who knows :)
Yeah it’s just something worth checking in advance to make sure you can get it set up in the way you want.

MikeSL1

Post by MikeSL1 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:33 pm

I think the earth rod is needed as the property supply is PME which means the Neutral & Earth come in on the same conductor and if it goes down you not only lose the Neutral but the Earth also, so by having an earth rod you still have a separate earth
I am sceptical because if you lose the neutral the contactor cuts out and the cable from the outlet to the car are electrically disconnected