Battery degraded to 80%

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Jaganon

Re: Battery degraded to 80%

Post by Jaganon » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:34 am

I-Tray- sorry I missed your earlier post and what a coincidence we’re both in the hands of Harwoods Croydon.
As an interim update, my car went in last Monday and was declared fixed Thursday afternoon. After asking what had been done to fix it, and not getting any coherent answer I lost the will and picked the car up Friday. Testing it myself after discharging, charging to 100% it still has around 63 kWh.

I’m getting an Android device this week to keep track on Wattcat (I can’t keep asking a friend for screen shots). Thank you Ardved and Sammy D.

I’ll try and have a proper conversation with the technician next week Running through the spreadsheet and Wattcat.So far the approach has been as before: Pathfinder- faults-run software- computer fixed.

Will keep you updated and good luck with your situation.
I Pace FE MY19 delivered 30.10.18: Santorini Black, Oyster, 22” Carbon

SammyD

Post by SammyD » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:48 am

Jaganon wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:34 am
I-Tray- sorry I missed your earlier post and what a coincidence we’re both in the hands of Harwoods Croydon.
As an interim update, my car went in last Monday and was declared fixed Thursday afternoon. After asking what had been done to fix it, and not getting any coherent answer I lost the will and picked the car up Friday. Testing it myself after discharging, charging to 100% it still has around 63 kWh.

I’m getting an Android device this week to keep track on Wattcat (I can’t keep asking a friend for screen shots). Thank you Ardved and Sammy D.

I’ll try and have a proper conversation with the technician next week Running through the spreadsheet and Wattcat.So far the approach has been as before: Pathfinder- faults-run software- computer fixed.

Will keep you updated and good luck with your situation.
Don't forget to send exactly the same information to Jaguar and express your dissatisfaction with your dealer especially with the explanation you received from the service department. I made sure that the I-Pace trained tech and I sat down for over half an hour and went through the figures. He could not fault my reasoning and data.
The IOS App also shows your battery capacity and I can vouch that they are within 100w (0.1kW) of each other when fully charged. 63kWh is getting close to the magic 70% level. I suspect that there are a few cells that need replacing. The Dealer will only to the cell capacity tests when JLR asks them to do it. By making sure that JLR are on the case, filtering of information as it is passed around (we all do it in that we only tell what we think is relevant) won't happen.
For many dealers replacing cells is something that they really don't want to do. It involves some very expensive service tools. My dealer was able to borrow them from another branch. Harwoods should be in the same situation. They need to find out what branch has them and make sure that they have them.

Finally, if and when the dealer gets the new cells, it is not simply put them in and away you go. There is a pre-conditioning process that the new cells have to go through before they can be used. That in itself can take two days (ie a weekend). Failing to do that means that their life will be greatly reduced.
When that is done, is only takes 3-4 hours to get battery installed and the car working again.
I suspect that many dealers are not used to working with a bunch of owners as clued up technically as the I-Pace lot are.
Driving "Hirundo Rustica" since 15th Mar 2019. Lovely Jubbly :D :D
S20C since 11th Dec 2020 Maps : whatever is current/can be bothered to download

Jaganon

Post by Jaganon » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:50 am

Now that’s great information- thank you again SammyD.
Yes, I’ll ask to meet with Barry and run through the spreadsheet. I do wonder whether it and my emailed explanation got through to him.

Would you pass Me the address you used at JLR please and I’ll contact them as you suggest.

So 9 weeks thus far at Harwwods since November 2018. The I-pace is so similar to my old Alfa’s 33, 75 and 156- can’t stop smiling when driving them, but eventually you go and buy a car that just works. And that’s what my S Type and XF Sportbrake did. Maybe I’ve found a fusion- AlfaJag or JagRomeo?

Thanks again

ELray

Post by ELray » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:57 am

SammyD wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:48 am
I suspect that many dealers are not used to working with a bunch of owners as clued up technically as the I-Pace lot are.
The "good" old days of scamming clueless customers are over. Welcome to tomorrow!
🇳🇴 Norway
💥I-Pace S Edition
💥Build date: 1 Feb 2019 | Delivered: 15 March 2019
⚙️H264: 06.01.20
⚙️H280: 02.07.20
⚙️Telematics-OTA: 19.2 (22.10.20)
⚙️InControl-OTA: S20C_20.43.1-618886 (07.11.20)
⚙️BECS: BP-AAE-BC-AC-BE
⚙️Maps: 08.030.0107.0158 (08.05.20)

Maxwell_400

Post by Maxwell_400 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:18 pm

SammyD wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:48 am

The IOS App also shows your battery capacity and I can vouch that they are within 100w (0.1kW) of each other when fully charged. 63kWh is getting close to the magic 70% level.
It is not about this level, 70% is degradation. This is clearly one ore more faulty cells which are replaced under warranty. If one single cell goes totally bad the car will drop to 75% capacity which is about 62kW.
I-Pace SE++, MY20, 18" summer & winter, no panoroof, towbar, spare wheel, 20C, TCU 19.2, BECS: BP-AAE-BC-AC-BE

Jaganon

Post by Jaganon » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:39 pm

That’s interesting, thanks Maxwell. Perhaps a cell has gone wobbly as that percentage tied up with my Individual stats from the home charger. However Wattcat indicated only 56.3 kWh at 100% this morning, a whopping 33% down. That seems reasonable given I’m getting around 30 miles per 20% charge at present in 23c temp.

15CB119D-9BEA-4C42-A397-DECD9E47824C.jpeg

6FDE5B75-46B5-46CD-AA2F-A51AA021A486.jpeg

Maxwell_400

Post by Maxwell_400 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:43 am

You might have a problem with self balancing of the cells as well. A dealer said that to do thorough self balancing you need to;

- Drive the car to SOC 10% or lower
- Connect the car to a granny charger, charge power should be about 2kW
- Let the car be unlocked with the hazard lights on, this is to prevent the car from shutting down.
(If the car shuts down the self balancing works in a different mode)
- Charge the car to 100%, should take more than 40 hours
- Reset GOM and read out range and estimated energy.
Last edited by Maxwell_400 on Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
I-Pace SE++, MY20, 18" summer & winter, no panoroof, towbar, spare wheel, 20C, TCU 19.2, BECS: BP-AAE-BC-AC-BE

Jaganon

Post by Jaganon » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:57 am

Thanks Maxwell- I’ll let the dealer and JLR ponder that process themselves. It does introduce the idea of balancing within the cells as a potential issue.
Letter off to JLR and Harwoods later today and we’ll see how they react.

i-Tray

Post by i-Tray » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:10 pm

UPDATE: Originally I estimated the battery had dropped to 80% but several months of careful tracking, Wattcat readings, and some spreadsheet calculations, all point to a capacity of only 50-59kWh; so more like 60-70%. But it has also turned up a second problem of charge loss. I am constantly losing charge, always finishing with less than I've consumed. The loss is erratic too, usually small amounts, but occasionally it's like 20kWh has just switched off (but never comes back).

JAGUAR: I've spoken directly to Jaguar, who have been excellent. They've liaised with the dealership to ensure they're ready with right equipment, etc.

NEXT STEPS: I'm booked in again next week for the all important capacity tests and today I emailed off my spreadsheet and numerous photos to back-up my spreadsheet data. As instructed by the dealership too, I have completed 2 slow-charge cycles going from a low charge (2% one time) to 100% and leaving it plugged-in for supposed cell-balancing. Now I just need the dealership to confirm all my observations and fix her up on warranty.
We will see....
First Edition, Photon red, 22" wheels.

Jaganon

Post by Jaganon » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:11 am

I hope it all goes well for you I-Tray. If you’re using Harwoods Croydon I think yours will be their third replacement. It reads like you’ve done good homework on your numbers.

Picked mine up last Friday after 5 weeks to replace a faulty cell as SammyD suggested.
Went for a good run yesterday and energy levels are now in a typical range. 100 miles leaving 50% charge, after mainly 70mph driving on cruise. Now fully charged with MyPace showing 82.35kWh and Konnect charger registered 48kWh to recharge the 50%. So all seems well.

Must say the I-Pace is so much easier and pleasurable to drive than the F-Pace loaner. I do hope it goes well for you and enjoy the car when it returns.