Battery degraded to 80%

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
i-Tray

Battery degraded to 80%

Post by i-Tray » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:08 pm

In the last 4 months my battery appears to have degraded from 100% to now being 'fully charged' at 80%, giving me a 157 mile range. :shock: :cry:

I'm interested to hear if others have experienced anything similar and what you did, or what Jaguar / your dealership did to investigate or repair.

FROM 100% to 98%
I have a First Edition, it's done 7000 miles, on 22" wheels, I don't have a home charger so I mainly use 7kW public chargers, which means frequently charging to 100% overnight. I fast charge perhaps 1 in 4 charges. Historically the range never indicated much over 200 miles and more recently I noticed on some longer trips I was only getting 150-170 miles even when patiently keeping my speed down. The battery then dropped from 100% to only charging to a max of 98%. It was less than 18 months old.

FROM 98% to 92%
Then covid hit. The car was left close to fully charged and over 4 weeks I drove just 8 miles, then another 35 miles over the next 3 weeks. I know now that leaving it fully charged for long periods is not advised, but battery health was not the kind of health we were worrying about during lockdown. After this the battery would not charge beyond 96%, then over a further 4-6 weeks it dropped to 92%. At this point I took the car in for the h264 software update and asked them to check the battery. All clear, everything fine, I was told.

FROM 92% to 80%
Now, after my first full recharge (7kW overnight) since h264, the car indicates it's fully charged at 80% and shows a range of 157 miles.
A 20% degraded battery after 7000 miles seems like a serious problem.
Would you agree?
What advice would you offer (other than obviously taking it in for a serious battery health check)?
Thanks all.
First Edition, Photon red, 22" wheels.

dernotte

Re: Battery degraded to 80%

Post by dernotte » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:23 pm

ask your dealer to do a full individual cells check on the HV battery.

Volkswarren

Post by Volkswarren » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:35 pm

Wouldn't a degraded battery charge to 100% but only have 80% of the capacity?

Your battery is only charging to 80%?? I'd defiantly be going to the dealer with that.
HSE, Caesium Blue, 22" 5056 Alloys, Oyster Leather, Active Air Suspension, Cold Pack, Black Pack, Privacy glass and Pano roof. Podpoint Homecharger. Telematics: 16.2 | InControl: S20A_20.16.5-536345. https://share.octopus.energy/sunny-moth-32

Jelle v/d Meer

Post by Jelle v/d Meer » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:12 pm

My MY2019 has done 53,000km, have DC charged at 100kW+ charger around 90 times, have been near or below 0% SoC about a dozen times, I done my fair share of traffic light sprints, 200km/h stints and driven multiple laps on a race track so plenty of stuff that would degrade the battery faster however when fully charged WattCatt shows still above 84kWh loaded and GOM shows around 450km range.

Only bad thing for battery health that I am not guilty of is that It has never been fully charged for more than 36hrs or below 20% for more than 4hrs.
I-pace S + HUD + Drive Pack + Light Oyster Sport Seats + Tailgate I Ceasium Blue | 18" wheels
Infotainment 20B + Telematics 18.2 | ODO 56.718km | 2020 Efficiency 203watt/km

i-Tray

Post by i-Tray » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:59 pm

Volkswarren wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:35 pm
Wouldn't a degraded battery charge to 100% but only have 80% of the capacity?
Yeah, that's what I'd have assumed, but when it stopped at 98% then 92% and now 80% I wondered if that was intentional - to show battery health vs original state. I'm calling the dealer tomorrow but want to get as informed as possible before having that conversation.

i-Tray

Post by i-Tray » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:16 pm

dernotte wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:23 pm
ask your dealer to do a full individual cells check on the HV battery.
Thanks, @dernotte, will do.

sciencegeek

Post by sciencegeek » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:20 pm

Don't freak out yet. Drive it a bunch and charge it again. The I-Pace's battery management system does all sorts of calculations, some of which give weird results at the extremes. In your case, you didn't drive it much so the GoM thinks that you used a lot of energy for those few miles because the little bit of phantom drain was a large fraction of the energy you used. I can't explain the 80% bit but I'm sure that'll go away once you go through a couple cycles of driving/charging.

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:25 pm

:? This may sound odd, but after charging, did you look at the Remote app (or MyPace/WattCat)? If not, try this next time. Charge until it stops (let’s say 80%). Then check the app and see what it says for charging status. If it says “charging paused”, try either starting charging again using the app, or unlocking and then locking the car again (or even unplug and plug back in). Only if it says “fully charged” in the apps would it potentially indicate a battery problem. I have a sneaking suspicion though that something has pushed your car into a “pause charging” state. I’ve seen this happen on mine occasionally too. After restarting the charge, it should then continue to charge up as expected. I have no idea why the pause happens. It’s not every time, but I’ve had that same thing happen before.

i-Tray

Post by i-Tray » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:54 pm

sciencegeek wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:20 pm
In your case, you didn't drive it much so the GoM thinks that you used a lot of energy for those few miles because the little bit of phantom drain was a large fraction of the energy you used.
Thanks, that sounds logical. It's not called a Guess-o-Meter for no reason, I guess. Maybe I need to do a couple more cycles, and maybe the problem is not the battery degrading but the fact that it'll only charge to 80% now.

i-Tray

Post by i-Tray » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:07 pm

Abu Dhabi Dude wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:25 pm
:? This may sound odd, but after charging, did you look at the Remote app (or MyPace/WattCat)? If not, try this next time. Charge until it stops (let’s say 80%). Then check the app and see what it says for charging status. If it says “charging paused”, try either starting charging again using the app, or unlocking and then locking the car again (or even unplug and plug back in). Only if it says “fully charged” in the apps would it potentially indicate a battery problem. I have a sneaking suspicion though that something has pushed your car into a “pause charging” state. I’ve seen this happen on mine occasionally too. After restarting the charge, it should then continue to charge up as expected. I have no idea why the pause happens. It’s not every time, but I’ve had that same thing happen before.
Thanks. Yes, I checked the Remote app and it said 'fully charged' yet the green battery charge bar in the app showed only 80% of the bar filled. I have checked the bill from charge point and it shows the 'charge stop time' matches when I disconnected, so I don't think there was a problem with that. But on my next charge I will try what you've suggested to make sure there isn't something pausing the charge.