100kW charging: It’s a joke

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Grunt

Re: 100kW charging: It’s a joke

Post by Grunt » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:27 pm

CaptainJAG wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:07 pm
Interesting to see some Cars get 100kw starting at higher SoC.
Charging sessions from last year (before H264) might be irritating, there are newer BECS Software versions out and on the car.
You better do not get a new software if it still works on your car 😂

Nobody tried the hazard lights voodoo charging so far?
I got feedback from two german I-Pace owners trying it and confirming it 👍😁
I went to try this at Ionity, but the Ionity had cooling issues and only charged at 40kW.
The entire session was for free though, that was some compensation.

For the secret procedure to work, does the car need to remain unlocked?
Leaving the hazard lights on is not a big deal, but leaving the car unlocked is more disturbing...

Thanks!

CaptainJAG

Post by CaptainJAG » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:43 am

I have not tested if there is a difference in charging if the car is locked or not.
I would suggest, you keep it unlocked at the beginning of charging and lock it when it is at full charging speed.

But there should be no difference between unlocked and locked. 🧐

Delta5

Post by Delta5 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:19 pm

We had an excellent run today, started in the far NE charged up to 95% for free, thanks Northumbria CC, stopped at Markham Vale near Chesterfield. Plugged in to the Instavolt which began at 75kw and rising and went for a McDonalds coffee got back 35mins later, charge had gone from 15% to 80%. I’m not sure what the average charge rate was, just a big improvement, no trickery.
4 chargers on that site 2 Instavolt and 2 Engenie, just a few yards off the M1, lots of food outlets.
IPace SE Caesium Blue, Ivory interior, Air suspension, 18in wheels, Drivers pack, 360. arrived 16th July, very nice.

Mit

Post by Mit » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:28 pm

It must be a coincidence, but I tried the hazard lights thing (my girlfriend thought I was losing it). I started charging at 10 percent battery charge and it immediately start charging at 98Kw and increased to 102Kw in the minutes after that. Before this moment I never had a charge above 85Kw (with exception of the standard 2 minutes 100Kw following by the drop to 85Kw). The strang this is that the outside was temp was around 12 degrees, it was raining and we just started driving (I think 15 minutes or so). I couldn't believe it, but we charged 25Kw in 15 minutes....so could it be the hazard lights trick...?

CaptainJAG

Post by CaptainJAG » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:33 pm

:mrgreen:

Welcome to the „Hazard Light“ Club

It is a normal procedure, the first time you think it is coincidence, second time you „i cannot believe it, wtf... „ third time you smile and „Gotcha“ :lol: :lol:

Vandy2020

Post by Vandy2020 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:49 pm

Does anyone know how this "hazard light" trick was discovered? It seems unlikely that it was discovered randomly.

Do you get half the kwh benefit if you turn on the left indicator lights?
2019 HSE | Purchased May 2020 | Santorini Black | Ebony Interior | Air Suspension with Adaptive Dynamics | HUD |Cold Weather Package

CaptainJAG

Post by CaptainJAG » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:32 am

I discovered it by coincidence.
I found a quite interesting fact... everytime, the charging speed is throtteled to 80kw, the Outside Temperature went to 0 degrees Celsius. Even it was 30 degrees before.
This is shown on the Power Cruise Control App.
As there is a Service Letter for AC charging optimizing battery balancing when Hazard Lights are on, I tried it just for fun at DC charging... and here we go

If you turn on the windscreen cleaning, you get clean energy 😂

ghost

Post by ghost » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:11 am

I also tried this out some days ago and got some interesting results.
SOC was between 10 and 20% when I connected. Outside temperature was a bit more than 10 degree Celsius. Battery temp probably quite moderate.
Charging started at around 85 kW. Dropped to around 80 kW after a few minutes. After that started to climb back up until leveling out at around 95 kW where it stayed for some time. All in all a very positive experience. It seems that the charging curve will raise as a function of increased battery temperature. This makes sense, but I haven't seem much of this earlier. At least not above 80 kW.

Grunt

Post by Grunt » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:15 am

CaptainJAG wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:32 am
... there is a Service Letter for AC charging optimizing battery balancing when Hazard Lights are on...
Captain, could you elaborate that a bit? What is supposed to happen according to the service letter?

Vandy2020

Post by Vandy2020 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:12 am

Thanks for explaining the origin of this trick, Captain. I’m looking forward to trying it when I’m on my next road trip.

I have a feeling that one can recharge the car by manually opening and closing the rear hatch. I’ll test this today and let you all know the results.
2019 HSE | Purchased May 2020 | Santorini Black | Ebony Interior | Air Suspension with Adaptive Dynamics | HUD |Cold Weather Package