100kW charging: It’s a joke

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Jelle v/d Meer
Posts: 1364
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:43 pm
Location: Tilburg / Netherlands

Re: 100kW charging: It’s a joke

Post by Jelle v/d Meer » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:07 pm

Captain.Plummet wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:07 pm
By my calculations you need to leave with 100% charge and then need two further charges to cover 1000kM. Assuming you stop to charge at 10% capacity you should get 384 kM to the first charge point. Charging there to 80% will provide 300kM of range, but you will need more than 80% at the next charger to reach 1000kM. You therefore need 90% at the first charge point, which takes exactly the same time as a Model 3 for 340kM of range. The only time lost will be at the last charge stop where you would need to wait about twenty minutes longer than the Tesla.
For journeys of around 700kM there is no difference to Tesla and you’ll be way quicker than the Etron which would need four charges for the same trip. In every case you’ll have slower battery degradation.
New battery tech will bring shorter charge times, but for now we are all in pretty much the same boat. Manufacturers either charge fast to 60-70% and then go slower or charge less quickly for a start but maintain the charge rate for longer. Jaguar have chosen the latter and I agree with their policy.
Not sure which universe you live in or what you have been smoking but above is pure rubbish and false.
I-pace S + HUD + Drive Pack + Light Oyster Sport Seats + Tailgate I Ceasium Blue | 18" wheels
Infotainment 20B + Telematics 18.2 | ODO 60.300km | 2020 Efficiency 202watt/km @ avg 76km/h

Jelle v/d Meer
Posts: 1364
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:43 pm
Location: Tilburg / Netherlands

Re: 100kW charging: It’s a joke

Post by Jelle v/d Meer » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:13 pm

FENorway wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:32 pm
You never charge to 90% on a fast charger unless you have an Audi.
If you have a TM3 you charge to maybe 60%,because then it starts tapering.
What makes sense with an EV is to fast charge over an SOC level which gives high power. IMO over 80kw. When it goes below that you stop charging and driver the next station.
I agree it is not fast to fast charge to 90% but I have done it several times sometimes to be able to skip an extra stop and sometimes because I really had to. Certainly in winter if your destination or next charger is 250-275km you will need to charge to 90%.

Some of that is also because I rather be safe than sorry so want to have a safety buffer on top of the planned arrival with 10%. This is even more important after H280 as H280 reduced how far you can drive from 5% SoC to when the car stops.
I-pace S + HUD + Drive Pack + Light Oyster Sport Seats + Tailgate I Ceasium Blue | 18" wheels
Infotainment 20B + Telematics 18.2 | ODO 60.300km | 2020 Efficiency 202watt/km @ avg 76km/h

User avatar
Koala
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:40 pm
Location: Germany - Bavaria

Re: 100kW charging: It’s a joke

Post by Koala » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:26 pm

Jelle v/d Meer wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:13 pm


I agree it is not fast to fast charge to 90% but I have done it several times sometimes to be able to skip an extra stop and sometimes because I really had to. Certainly in winter if your destination or next charger is 250-275km you will need to charge to 90%.

Some of that is also because I rather be safe than sorry so want to have a safety buffer on top of the planned arrival with 10%. This is even more important after H280 as H280 reduced how far you can drive from 5% SoC to when the car stops.
Yes, that is the only realistic way doing it.... except maybe, you live in a country with speed limits below 100km/h.
EV400 S, MY2019, Firenze Red, Light Oyster Interieur, Acitve Air suspension, 18" Diamond turned Wheels.
Infotainment-Software: S20B1_20.30.2-578440| Telematics: 17.2 | 45.000 KM of happy I-Pace driving since March 14th, 2019

User avatar
Koala
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:40 pm
Location: Germany - Bavaria

Re: 100kW charging: It’s a joke

Post by Koala » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:44 pm

BTW: If you are desperate low in battery but have time to travel, just find a modern (two level) coach on the motorway (they drive 100km/h or so), get close behind in the slipstream, activate cruise control to the shortest distance: You'll get as low as 180Wh/Km or lower and may reach 400 km on a full charge ... it's super boring ... but possible.... You do not need to buy a JAG for this ;-)
EV400 S, MY2019, Firenze Red, Light Oyster Interieur, Acitve Air suspension, 18" Diamond turned Wheels.
Infotainment-Software: S20B1_20.30.2-578440| Telematics: 17.2 | 45.000 KM of happy I-Pace driving since March 14th, 2019

Abu Dhabi Dude
Posts: 917
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:34 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: 100kW charging: It’s a joke

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:50 pm

Tesla Bjorn did a video recently comparing 4 EVs’ charging speeds. He charged all 4 to 90% from roughly 10%. The iPace was slower than the model 3 to 90%. It wasn’t particularly close from what I remember. I love my car and would never buy a Tesla but I don’t think it serves anyone well to misrepresent the facts. The iPace is slower at charging in almost every real world situation than the Model 3. It makes up for this (in my opinion) in many other areas, but I don’t think it’s reasonable to state that the iPace charges to 90% as quickly as a model 3. Maybe on a 50 kw charger that’s true!

Captain.Plummet
Posts: 447
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:26 pm
Location: UK

Re: 100kW charging: It’s a joke

Post by Captain.Plummet » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:59 pm

Jelle v/d Meer wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:07 pm
Captain.Plummet wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:07 pm
By my calculations you need to leave with 100% charge and then need two further charges to cover 1000kM. Assuming you stop to charge at 10% capacity you should get 384 kM to the first charge point. Charging there to 80% will provide 300kM of range, but you will need more than 80% at the next charger to reach 1000kM. You therefore need 90% at the first charge point, which takes exactly the same time as a Model 3 for 340kM of range. The only time lost will be at the last charge stop where you would need to wait about twenty minutes longer than the Tesla.
For journeys of around 700kM there is no difference to Tesla and you’ll be way quicker than the Etron which would need four charges for the same trip. In every case you’ll have slower battery degradation.
New battery tech will bring shorter charge times, but for now we are all in pretty much the same boat. Manufacturers either charge fast to 60-70% and then go slower or charge less quickly for a start but maintain the charge rate for longer. Jaguar have chosen the latter and I agree with their policy.
Not sure which universe you live in or what you have been smoking but above is pure rubbish and false.
Good heavens. I thought you were a reasonable person but that reply was disgraceful. You do not deserve any more of a response than that.

Rbrandwijk
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:30 pm
Location: NETHERLANDS

Re: 100kW charging: It’s a joke

Post by Rbrandwijk » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:10 pm

Perhaps not the most decent way to say, but I can understand Jelle’s point. I just returned from a 5700km holiday trip and I understand his point. You will never drive 380km on one charge and than 300. My experience, after many long trips, is that you drive max 300km on a 100% charge in the summer, in the winter this is 250km max. The fastest way to clock 1000km is to charge your car from 5 to max 60/70%. In this range, the I pace is lacking charging speed.

Captain.Plummet
Posts: 447
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:26 pm
Location: UK

Re: 100kW charging: It’s a joke

Post by Captain.Plummet » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:11 pm

Abu Dhabi Dude wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:50 pm
Tesla Bjorn did a video recently comparing 4 EVs’ charging speeds. He charged all 4 to 90% from roughly 10%. The iPace was slower than the model 3 to 90%. It wasn’t particularly close from what I remember. I love my car and would never buy a Tesla but I don’t think it serves anyone well to misrepresent the facts. The iPace is slower at charging in almost every real world situation than the Model 3. It makes up for this (in my opinion) in many other areas, but I don’t think it’s reasonable to state that the iPace charges to 90% as quickly as a model 3. Maybe on a 50 kw charger that’s true!
I looked that up on YouTube and it seems to support my comments. If you charge to 90% the I Pace does pretty well charge time/range. I charged alongside an Etron at an IONITY charger earlier this week. The Etron spent 5 minutes less at the charger than I did but the driver said he expected no more than 170 miles from a full charge. That means no more than 150 miles range from en route chargers unless waiting for 90% plus levels of charge, which is longer than the I Pace takes and I get about 215 miles usable from 90% SOC.

6E8D6D2B-CE07-4F7D-87E8-988A308C34D5.png


kermit68
Posts: 396
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:06 pm
Location: Rome / Italy

Re: 100kW charging: It’s a joke

Post by kermit68 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:26 pm

If you compare e-tron with I-Pace it's a different story as e-tron charges quickly but then its higher consumption somehow matches the lower charging speed but better efficiency of the I-Pace.

But the Tesla M3, even without a supercharger V3 is another league compared to the I-Pace (and e-tron).
MY20 Yulong White SE, 20", air suspension, privacy glass, black pack and other fine stuffs

Rbrandwijk
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:30 pm
Location: NETHERLANDS

Re: 100kW charging: It’s a joke

Post by Rbrandwijk » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:38 pm

E tron charges from 10 to 80% in 25 minutes. The I Pace requires in reality more than 50 minutes (twice the time). The power consumption is approx 10% higher of the e tron. I do not see your point that the I Pace is faster as an e tron.

Post Reply