Wish: Gearshift

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
timbray

Wish: Gearshift

Post by timbray » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:41 pm

My cat's is in the shop - aircon stopped working - so they gave me an LR Discovery, which frankly isn't much of a vehicle when you're used to an I-Pace.

Except for, I was doing some maneuvering to pick up stuff at a loading bay and my goodness, I really liked having the gearshift. Just a little thing, but so much more intuitive than those stupid plastic/metal buttons on the I-Pace. I've had mine since January 2019 and I still have to glance down to hit P and R. After about 15 minutes with the Discovery I didn't have to look any more.

The stupid buttons are a real design failure.

Note that Audi took it too far the other way, the E-Tron shifter is a great big slabby thing, I just want a nice little lightweight lever I can flip back and forth without looking.
S, Caesium Blue, 20" Gloss Black, red Windsor leather, see https://www.tbray.org/ongoing/What/The% ... r%20Diary/

Quakered

Re: Wish: Gearshift

Post by Quakered » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:55 pm

Personally I am delighted Jaguar had the wit to arrange the buttons logically rather than continue the nonsense on automatic gearboxes on ICE cars where you need to push the stick forward to go backwards and backwards to go forward. It doesn’t happen in aircraft, ships or trains - just cars! I think VW and Mercedes continue this illogically on their BEVs....
SE Firenze Red, Oyster leather, glass roof, HUD, Air Suspension, delivered 6/19

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:11 am

Quakered wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:55 pm
Personally I am delighted Jaguar had the wit to arrange the buttons logically rather than continue the nonsense on automatic gearboxes on ICE cars where you need to push the stick forward to go backwards and backwards to go forward. It doesn’t happen in aircraft, ships or trains - just cars! I think VW and Mercedes continue this illogically on their BEVs....
I’ve always felt the same way. Whenever anyone moans about the button placement, I always think “I press the front button to go forwards and the rear button to go backwards”. Seems logical to me.

Koala

Post by Koala » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:04 am

Quakered wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:55 pm
I couldn't agree more!
2019 I-Pace S, Firenze Red, Light Oyster Interieur, Acitve Air suspension, 18" Diamond turned Wheels.
Infotainment-Software: S20A_20.16.5-536345| Telematics: 17.2 | 40.000 KM of happy I-Pace driving since March 14th, 2019

syncd

Post by syncd » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:39 pm

The PRND arrangement is due to this US regultaion: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/571.102

Which refers to "steering column mounted transmission lever", so car makers might had some latitude with levers not on steering columns, but choose not to change the order.

I agree that the order on the i-pace is much more sensible, and i prefer buttons to gear levers that just get in the way, though i see timbray's point regarding levers being sometimes easier to use without looking.

Billy Bunter

Post by Billy Bunter » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:41 pm

it’s a safety feature to stop the stick being accidentally knocked forward into Drive.
SE, Firenze Red, Black Pack & Black 20” wheels, Air Suspention, HUD, ACC, DAB+

fa147

Post by fa147 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:57 pm

Billy Bunter wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:41 pm
it’s a safety feature to stop the stick being accidentally knocked forward into Drive.
Well I guess accidentally knocking it into reverse when your at the edge of a cliff because you wanted to sit on the edge of the boot and watch the sea didn’t concern those in the US at the time??? ;)
I-Pace MY20 HSE, Corris Grey, Ebony/Ebony Interior, 20” Grey & Diamond Turned, Panoramic Roof
IMC: S20A_20.16.5-536345 | Telematics: 16.2 | Map 08.030.0109.0155
Home Charging: Zappi 2.0