Is electronic air suspension wroth it?

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Abu Dhabi Dude

Re: Is electronic air suspension wroth it?

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:38 pm

fa147 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:24 pm
I test drove a 22" with air suspension and enjoyed the ride, I then purchased stock 20" without suspension and every now and then feel more of the road/pot holes than I prefer to...

Now I can only assume it must be the air suspension that made the 22" drive a more wafty experience and if I could re-buy the car, I would probably go for air suspension. Not sure how much of a range hit it produces given the extra weight.
The extra weight isn’t that high (relative to the overall vehicle weight), and you do get the added benefit of the air suspension automatically lowering at high speeds, giving slightly better aerodynamics on motorways.

fa147

Post by fa147 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:55 pm

Abu Dhabi Dude wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:38 pm
The extra weight isn’t that high (relative to the overall vehicle weight), and you do get the added benefit of the air suspension automatically lowering at high speeds, giving slightly better aerodynamics on motorways.
Then it’s a no brainier... well, there is the matter of the cost...
I-Pace MY20 HSE, Corris Grey, Ebony/Ebony Interior, 20” Grey & Diamond Turned, Panoramic Roof
IMC: S20B 20.27.3-568398 | Telematics: 16.2 | Map 08.030.0110.0153
Home Charging: Zappi 2.0

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:14 pm

fa147 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:55 pm
Then it’s a no brainier... well, there is the matter of the cost...
:lol: Yes, that’s where the real decision lies!

TheDeuce

Post by TheDeuce » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:09 pm

fa147 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:24 pm
I test drove a 22" with air suspension and enjoyed the ride, I then purchased stock 20" without suspension and every now and then feel more of the road/pot holes than I prefer to...

Now I can only assume it must be the air suspension that made the 22" drive a more wafty experience and if I could re-buy the car, I would probably go for air suspension. Not sure how much of a range hit it produces given the extra weight.
The smoothness probably negates the extra weight actually. I'm thinking anything that jolts you up and down has to be in conflict with the car moving forwards as easily as possible. Overall... I bet you'd never notice it at the plug.

I work for various automotive brands and as a rule I would say opt for whatever tyre/suspension setup the demonstrator vehicles have. The press that review the cars don't have any say on the spec, so the manufacturers can in theory spec the cars however they wish, but they do also have to be wary of the 'price as tested' part of the review, so can't add every option. Therefore.. If they have added optional trick suspension, it's probably because they're well aware it makes a real (and quite possibly much needed) difference to the ride quality. Generally with the smallest rim size you get much more tyre wall which in it's own way can make a huge difference. Most with the 18" rims seem pretty happy. But again, most press cars probably weren't sent out with such small rims as bigger rims look better in photos!