Is electronic air suspension wroth it?

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
scm

Re: Is electronic air suspension wroth it?

Post by scm » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:54 pm

shadwellal wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:55 pm
FWIW, I've had my SE on standard suspension with 20" wheels for 15 months and love it. I can't think of a single occasion on which I've thought "I wish I had air suspension"
I suspect it might fall into the "completely unnecessary until you've experienced it" category, like so many little "luxuries" that have become standard equipment nowadays - who really needs auto lights and wipers, heated seats, etc .... ;)

neverhood

Post by neverhood » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:04 pm

I drove both and found it a no brainer if you like a swift drive - the wallow was less on Air, IMHO
MY20 SE in Fuji White - Air susp. w/ AD - Matrix LEDs Octopus referral code: https://share.octopus.energy/kiwi-swan-418

elbocko

Post by elbocko » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:21 pm

Difficult question to answer. I have Air Suspension on 18" wheels and love it. But since I don't own one with coil springs it is not possible to comment on whether one is better than the other or whether it is worth it.
El Bocko

E 2ERO, SE, Firenze Red, MY19, 18". Still loving it.
Infotainment - S20C_20.16.5-536345. It has gone backwards, now S20B_20.27.3-568398 @ 26/7/2020
Vehicle Connectivity 17.2,
Battery Energy Control Shh, it won't say. H264v3 completed.

ANBO

Post by ANBO » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:46 pm

I took it in recommendation because of the weight of the car and absolutely love it. Its very smooth and particularly works miracles on sharp bumps. It is also very stable in the corners. Lastly, because there is no coil spring it takes out a lot of noise as well.
🇨🇭 EV400 HSE (MY2020; MAR 2020); 20" wheels
⚙️ H264 ⚙️ TMs: 18.2 ⚙️ ICM: 20A
⚙️ BECS: BP-AAE-BC-AC-BE ⚙️ Maps: 06.2020

TheDeuce

Post by TheDeuce » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:49 pm

Air suspension with adaptive dampers seemed a no brainer to me when I spec'd the car. I had driven one with and one without air suspension (but neither had adaptive dampers) so I at least knew in advance that the ride quality was noticeably better with the air suspension. My car ended up with 22" wheels too, so it was more important than ever.

I did also spec the adaptive dampers in the end, because it's a heavy car and I like a sporty drive sometimes, I had to do whatever was needed to stop the big ol girl wallowing around corners!

In the end I'm very happy. Can push the car surprisingly hard down a b-road in dynamic mode and it will stay very flat and tight through the turns, it's also extremely comfortable in comfort mode. It's not as if anything will transform such a heavy SUV in to a sports car... But the end result of both options is a comfortable car that is unexpectedly good dynamically. So for me, it was really worth the extra £££

ELray

Post by ELray » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:10 pm

TheDeuce wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:49 pm
Air suspension with adaptive dampers seemed a no brainer to me when I spec'd the car. I had driven one with and one without air suspension (but neither had adaptive dampers) so I at least knew in advance that the ride quality was noticeably better with the air suspension. My car ended up with 22" wheels too, so it was more important than ever.

I did also spec the adaptive dampers in the end, because it's a heavy car and I like a sporty drive sometimes, I had to do whatever was needed to stop the big ol girl wallowing around corners!

In the end I'm very happy. Can push the car surprisingly hard down a b-road in dynamic mode and it will stay very flat and tight through the turns, it's also extremely comfortable in comfort mode. It's not as if anything will transform such a heavy SUV in to a sports car... But the end result of both options is a comfortable car that is unexpectedly good dynamically. So for me, it was really worth the extra £££
I’ve been driving an Audi etron with air suspension last 14 days due to 12V trouble with my car. I must say, my springs on my I-Pace is sooo much better. The Audi; now thats a car that can wallow!
🇳🇴 Norway
💥I-Pace S Edition X590 (19MY)
💥Build date: 1 Feb 2019 | Delivered: 15 March 2019
⚙️H264: 06.01.20
⚙️H280: 02.07.20
⚙️Telematics: 16.2
⚙️InControl(OTA:27.05.20): S20A_20.16.5-536345
⚙️BECS: Unknown
⚙️Maps(upd:08.05.20): 08.030.0107.0158

TheDeuce

Post by TheDeuce » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:14 am

ELray wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:10 pm
TheDeuce wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:49 pm

I’ve been driving an Audi etron with air suspension last 14 days due to 12V trouble with my car. I must say, my springs on my I-Pace is sooo much better. The Audi; now thats a car that can wallow!
The e-tron strikes me as very much a conventional 'supposedly sporty' SUV. And most SUV's are pretty miserable drivers cars - just too heavy and clumsy. We did actually look at the e-tron as an alternative ahead of ordering the i-pace, in fact.. we looked at just about every decent EV out there. The e-tron seemed the least interesting and most uninspiring of the lot - we didn't look at it for very long!

I'd go so far as to say the i-pace is conversely helped by it's weight due to where that weight is, is packed in between and beneath the axles centres, which has the effect of countering roll. It's still far from ideal for anything claiming sporting potential to have that much weight, anywhere.. but in terms of favorable centre of gravity the weight is at least in the perfect place!

wilco

Post by wilco » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:40 am

I tried air suspension but decided I was quite happy on 18 inch wheels & coil suspension. Would certainly have gone for A/S if I had larger wheels with low er profile tyres.
S, Borasco Grey, 18" wheels, oyster leather, gesture tailgate. Software S20A_20.16.5-536345 & 17.2, H228

TheDeuce

Post by TheDeuce » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:23 am

wilco wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:40 am
I tried air suspension but decided I was quite happy on 18 inch wheels & coil suspension. Would certainly have gone for A/S if I had larger wheels with low er profile tyres.
That's fair enough, and I'd imagine that with the extra rubber it'd be just fine - maybe even better in some ways than the very low profile larger tyres with air suspension.

Also the overall cost is a little misleading, it's not just the cost of air suspension - which itself is only really justifiable if you do have the bigger wheels, which is another cost. And even then the only way to really sort the car out is to also spec the adaptive damping. The true cost of going that route is over £5000 depending on wheel choice! I only ended up with the bigger wheels by default as HSE spec, and it was a modest increase in monthly payments to bump at to the 22" wheels and then add the air suspension and damping. Even then it was only because of an insanely low lease deal and the zero BIK that made any of it possible.

fa147

Post by fa147 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:24 pm

I test drove a 22" with air suspension and enjoyed the ride, I then purchased stock 20" without suspension and every now and then feel more of the road/pot holes than I prefer to...

Now I can only assume it must be the air suspension that made the 22" drive a more wafty experience and if I could re-buy the car, I would probably go for air suspension. Not sure how much of a range hit it produces given the extra weight.
I-Pace MY20 HSE, Corris Grey, Ebony/Ebony Interior, 20” Grey & Diamond Turned, Panoramic Roof
IMC: S20B 20.27.3-568398 | Telematics: 16.2 | Map 08.030.0110.0153
Home Charging: Zappi 2.0