Is electronic air suspension wroth it?

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
J-Pace

Is electronic air suspension wroth it?

Post by J-Pace » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:24 pm

I'm considering buying an HSE with 20" that does not have Electronic Air Suspension because it's available now -as opposed to having to place a new order and wait for months. Does EAS improve comfort considerably or should I go ahead with the regular coil spring suspension?

Nbrownson

Re: Is electronic air suspension wroth it?

Post by Nbrownson » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:40 pm

It probably depends on how much and what sort of driving you and also the car you are coming from. I have only had my SE for a week on 20in wheels and normal suspension and I think it’s great. Nick
Corris Grey, EV400 SE MY20, HUD

RobN

Post by RobN » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:56 pm

Like Nick, I have an SE with standard suspension and 20” wheels and it drives very wellindeed. I’ve had a number of Jags with adaptive suspension (including a 5ltr V8 supercharged XFR) and whilst it was great, I’m not convinced the I-Pace needs it unless you go for the 22” wheels or are a very demanding driver. The low centre of gravity from the under floor battery pack really gives this car fantastic handling when pushed hard. I tested both before making my decision and 6 months on am happy that I didn’t.

I hope this helps.

Best, Rob
SE MY20 Corris Grey, 20” wheels, oyster leather 10 way seats, panoramic roof, black trim + privacy glass + 7kWh Podpoint & ICE XK8 Conv 1996 (Jag owner/enthusiast since 1994 :D )

J-Pace

Post by J-Pace » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:25 pm

RobN wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:56 pm
Like Nick, I have an SE with standard suspension and 20” wheels and it drives very wellindeed. I’ve had a number of Jags with adaptive suspension (including a 5ltr V8 supercharged XFR) and whilst it was great, I’m not convinced the I-Pace needs it unless you go for the 22” wheels or are a very demanding driver. The low centre of gravity from the under floor battery pack really gives this car fantastic handling when pushed hard. I tested both before making my decision and 6 months on am happy that I didn’t.

I hope this helps.

Best, Rob
Thanks so much for this Rob. Yes it's very helpful. I live in London and the roads are not great. Between the speed bumps and constant road repairs & construction, I thought the air suspension might help.

Best,

Alex

J-Pace

Post by J-Pace » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:30 pm

Nbrownson wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:40 pm
It probably depends on how much and what sort of driving you and also the car you are coming from. I have only had my SE for a week on 20in wheels and normal suspension and I think it’s great. Nick
Thank you Nick.
'm driving a BMW i3 which is a nice enough car for the city, but is as uncomfortable to drive over speed bumps as a tractor! Like I was telling Rob who also replied, I live in London which doesn't have the best roads, so I was hoping EAS would help with that.

Best,

Alex

LKM10

Post by LKM10 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:57 pm

The car I took for a test drive back in March had coil suspension, we hit a speed bump, maybe a bit too quickly and it did send a jolt through the car. On the rest of my drive it felt exactly the same as my car with air suspension. I must point out the car was also on 22's so maybe this had more of a detrimental effect.
You need to test both over the same route if possible and make your own mind up.

LKM10

Post by LKM10 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:19 pm

One other point to consider, how long do you intend to keep the car?
If long term air suspension has more potential to go wrong, linked with expensive repairs when compared to just maybe a broken spring or two to replace.
Just a thought.

J-Pace

Post by J-Pace » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:04 pm

LKM10 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:19 pm
One other point to consider, how long do you intend to keep the car?
If long term air suspension has more potential to go wrong, linked with expensive repairs when compared to just maybe a broken spring or two to replace.
Just a thought.
Thank you LKM10. 👍🏼
I've asked the dealer to try both cars. I'm planning on keeping the car for 2 years max.
Best.
A.

I-Pace

Post by I-Pace » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:13 pm

Air suspension is only worth it for 22’s. You also have more boot space with coil (saves the air suspension air compressor space under the floor). A journalist from Whatcar? earlier this year said that he prefers coil over air for the I-Pace.

RichT

Post by RichT » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:01 pm

There have been a few threads on this subject.
Ride quality is not much different between steel and air but air suspension allows other features -
- Raising ride height (useful because clearance isn't great for an SUV)
- Lowering ride height (never proven to actually happen at speed)
- Allows Adaptive Dynamics (active dampers) to be specified - this does make a noticeable difference to the car.
- No blank switch locations on dash!

So it's these features you need to decide whether you need.