Wireless charging - the car, not the phone

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Captain.Plummet

Wireless charging - the car, not the phone

Post by Captain.Plummet » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:25 pm

Twenty five I Pace's going to Norway to demonstrate wireless charging whilst waiting on taxi ranks. The technology for this has been working at Gaydon for a while but only up to 7KW. They are claiming 50KW here but I'm not sure how they are going to cool such a system.

https://media.jaguar.com/en-gb/news/202 ... rging-rank

Fluff

Re: Wireless charging - the car, not the phone

Post by Fluff » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:20 pm

Seems they have a 200kw working on a bus, the taxi system is 1/4 of this.

No mention of cooling.

https://momentumdynamics.com/thetech/

Delta5

Post by Delta5 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:41 pm

What efficiency has been achieved in practice, just how much heat needs to be moved, probably not too significant at 7kw But at 50kw would be.
IPace SE Caesium Blue, Ivory interior promised for May or June or July or ———-

Captain.Plummet

Post by Captain.Plummet » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:15 pm

Apparently all I Paces have mounting lugs under the floor pan for wireless charging coils. The receiver is about 300mm square and the transmitter had multiple coils to allow it to align electronically with the receiver. Obviously the vehicle has to be stationery which has no advantage over cable connections for private cars but for taxi ranks and bus stands it could be very useful.

ianipace

Post by ianipace » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:00 am

I think that the system adopted is based on the BMW one.
It is only an extension of the technology used to levitate trains and provide friction free propulsion.
Wireless phone charging - easy!

Basically it is a very large induction hob.
When you think how efficient an induction hob is, a single 2.4Kw plate doesn't generate very much heat, a small fan is used to cool the electronics but all the energy goes into heating the pan contents.
Wireless charging is just basically one induction hob on top of another, the one on top generates electricity for the battery!
Therefore 7Kw wouldn't be a real challenge.
50Kw and up on the other hand is a bit harder.
This press release promoted Oslo, but the system is in use in Nottingham already but not with the I-Pace!

Stay safe

Ian
MY2019 SE in Caesium Blue. Panoramic roof and 20" wheels. Ohme Smart charger.

Ingenioren

Post by Ingenioren » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:03 am

Interesting !

Live close to Oslo but have not seen anything about this in the local papers. Will post if I see anything. There is a lot of Tesla Taxi's but have not seen any Jaguar I-pace Taxi yet .

scm

Post by scm » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:15 pm

Captain.Plummet wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:15 pm
... the vehicle has to be stationery which has no advantage over cable connections for private cars ....
I'd say driving onto a charge point in the rain and not have to faff about with a wet cable is a massive advantage. ;)

Captain.Plummet

Post by Captain.Plummet » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:52 pm

scm wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:15 pm
Captain.Plummet wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:15 pm
... the vehicle has to be stationery which has no advantage over cable connections for private cars ....
I'd say driving onto a charge point in the rain and not have to faff about with a wet cable is a massive advantage. ;)
The point is that private vehicles often charge in a variety of locations whereas taxis and buses tend to have standing sites where wireless infrastructure is practical. We’ll see how the technology develops. If it was achievable and financially viable then Tesla would have it everywhere by now.

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:53 pm

scm wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:15 pm

Knowing most charging companies they’ll still make you get out your car to swipe an RFID card! :lol:

ianipace

Post by ianipace » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:06 pm

Maybe by the time it hits these shores as a usable reality the charging network might have caught up with the Tesla model and recognise the car when plugged in, or in the case of wireless charging, when parked over the charge point.
We are all conversant with Powerline adapters at home aren't we, well since the control signals are sent like this on a CCS charge point to the car, I see no reason that vehicle recognition couldn't be achieved with wireless charging. Tesla, as usual, is ahead of the game.
As a point of interest, if you pop over to France and drive down a pretty departmental road next to a power cable, and tune your radio to the low medium wave frequencies or R4 long wave, you will hear the data that is transmitted along power cables.

Mains power isn't just a nice 50 hertz sine wave!
Mind you those hefty transformers dropping that high voltage down to a domestic level, do a good job of cleaning it up!

Stay safe

Ian
MY2019 SE in Caesium Blue. Panoramic roof and 20" wheels. Ohme Smart charger.