Pivi Pro - upgrade?

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
fa147

Re: Pivi Pro - upgrade?

Post by fa147 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:11 pm

Yeah, we should come back to the topic at hand....

To me the Pivi Pro does look like it's just a change to the UI, but then again I say that from a total stand-point of ignorance. Nonetheless, I can't see it doing any more than the Touch Pro does now... but maybe that is a limitation of the car and its ability to interact with software.
I-Pace MY20 HSE, Corris Grey, Ebony/Ebony Interior, 20” Grey & Diamond Turned, Panoramic Roof
IMC: S20A_20.16.5-536345 | Telematics: 16.2 | Map 08.030.0109.0155
Home Charging: Zappi 2.0

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:18 pm

From the demos I have seen, it doesn’t look too ground breaking in all honesty. I actually like the TPD software, I just think it should have had a faster processor all along. Having said that, with recent updates I find the boot speed now very acceptable and the lag to be much better and really not an issue any more. I also think the home screen customisation on TPD is much more flexible and personal than the Pivi one.

Plus points for Pivi: obviously that faster processor is a plus. The new 360 camera looks awesome (not specifically Pivi but the two go hand in hand with MY21). Updates will be available for much longer (software updates I mean, maps should continue to be updated as normal). And one thing I really like is that with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, the Jaguar shortcut buttons are visible all the time giving rapid access to things like cameras (that’s one of my bug bears with CarPlay on the TPD).

A good upgrade but TPD is still perfectly adequate and I really like the TPD home pages. I’d love that 360 camera though.

fa147

Post by fa147 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:16 pm

Abu Dhabi Dude wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:18 pm
From the demos I have seen, it doesn’t look too ground breaking in all honesty. I actually like the TPD software, I just think it should have had a faster processor all along. Having said that, with recent updates I find the boot speed now very acceptable and the lag to be much better and really not an issue any more. I also think the home screen customisation on TPD is much more flexible and personal than the Pivi one.

Plus points for Pivi: obviously that faster processor is a plus. The new 360 camera looks awesome (not specifically Pivi but the two go hand in hand with MY21). Updates will be available for much longer (software updates I mean, maps should continue to be updated as normal). And one thing I really like is that with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, the Jaguar shortcut buttons are visible all the time giving rapid access to things like cameras (that’s one of my bug bears with CarPlay on the TPD).

A good upgrade but TPD is still perfectly adequate and I really like the TPD home pages. I’d love that 360 camera though.
I'm in agreement.

Yes the Pivi Pro doesn't seem revolutionary, just evolutionary and as you say, if the TPD had a faster processor, they may have not needed to go to Pivi. Although, I do think with the XJ going electric, the TPD was/is reaching its capabilities and they may have needed a refresh.

Have you seen the 360 camera, is it the "under the hood" system that the Evoque/Defender also have or is it just 360 but with better stitching of images?

With regard to maps, if they continue to use Here.com and it is still not geared up for EVs, it's going to be frustrating.
I-Pace MY20 HSE, Corris Grey, Ebony/Ebony Interior, 20” Grey & Diamond Turned, Panoramic Roof
IMC: S20A_20.16.5-536345 | Telematics: 16.2 | Map 08.030.0109.0155
Home Charging: Zappi 2.0

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:06 pm

fa147 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:16 pm

I'm in agreement.

Yes the Pivi Pro doesn't seem revolutionary, just evolutionary and as you say, if the TPD had a faster processor, they may have not needed to go to Pivi. Although, I do think with the XJ going electric, the TPD was/is reaching its capabilities and they may have needed a refresh.

Have you seen the 360 camera, is it the "under the hood" system that the Evoque/Defender also have or is it just 360 but with better stitching of images?

With regard to maps, if they continue to use Here.com and it is still not geared up for EVs, it's going to be frustrating.
I didn’t get too much time to get in-depth but I didn’t see the “invisible car” thing that’s in the Land Rover system. All I could see was the new 3D “third person” view from outside the car. It’s magical. It’s like a PS4 game where your car is in the middle of the screen and you can just swing the view around by dragging your finger on the screen. It’s a really clever system and the stitching of cameras seemed really accurate, unlike the previous system. It reminded me a lot of the Audi system, if you have ever seen that in action. The “invisible car” view may be in there but I didn’t spot it.