Reduction in range with A/C on.

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
bradtipp

Re: Reduction in range with A/C on.

Post by bradtipp » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:28 pm

O.K. I tested this yesterday and with 242 miles on the range, turning on auto AC set to 72F (sorry in the US) dropped it to 235 at an ambient temp of about 78F.

ANBO

Post by ANBO » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:19 pm

syncd wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:34 pm
I haven't made accurate measurements, but my impression is that i loose about 10% of the range with the AC on (cooling to 22C with outside temp somewhere between 26C and 30C).

Never put it on LO, so can't comment, but i generally agree that the AC doesn't feel very powerful, at least compared to the ones i was used to in Audi/BMW/VW, and it is also much more loud when put on Auto than those. I always used ACs on their auto setting, just setting the temp, and that was enough for a comfortable environment. With the Jag, Auto always goes to max fan, which is uncomfortably loud, and manually setting the fan speed at 3, to keep the noise under control, doesn't set the temperature quite as well as others. IMO it's definitely a weaker point for JLR compared to the germans.
Also recording 10% this week with these temperatures, when the car has been outside baking in the sun and I forget that I have preconditioning. The airco is cold, but with the whole interior being hot, the radiation heat is noticeably wherever the airflow of the airco does not touch. Very happy in that sense with the cooled seats that come on the HSE, allowing 360° air flow.
🇨🇭 EV400 HSE (MY2020; MAR 2020); 20" wheels
⚙️ H264 06.01.20 ⚙️ TMs: 18.2 ⚙️ ICM: 19C
⚙️ BECS: BP-AAE-BC-AC-BE ⚙️ Maps: 06.2020

SPARKO

Post by SPARKO » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:15 pm

don't forget there are different settings in the climate menu which may make quite a difference to energy used by AC and noise produced. (I forget what they are called .) Also the system is quieter and uses less in eco than other power modes. If ambient temperature is over 27C I need to come out of eco to be comfortable.

The stated reduction in range when you start off may be inaccurate as the AC is working hard at first. Once the cabin temperature has stabilized the figures are less scary !
MY19 HSE. Black with black kit. 20 inch wheels. Dynamic air suspension, panoramic roof, heated steering wheel, 4 zone climate.

ianipace

Post by ianipace » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:14 pm

I've just done some tests.
Fan setting is '2', no change with '1'
With the AC ON and the temperature set to 17ºC (Sorry USA) 201 miles range.
No improvement with AC off by the way.
One side set to 16.5ºC the other at 17ºC range drops to 196 miles.
16.5ºC set on BOTH sides, range reduces to 191 miles.
LO both sides (You can only have LO on both sides) range drops to 189 miles

That appears to give a drop of between 2.5 - 6% drop in range when AC is used depending on settings.

On short journeys this isn't a problem but if you are trying to drive across Europe and space out charge points to reduce the number of stops required it obviously is of interest when planning your trip.
240 miles range is knocked down to maybe 225, which is significant

Stay safe

Ian
MY2019 SE in Caesium Blue. Panoramic roof and 20" wheels. Ohme Smart charger.

Eyalron

Post by Eyalron » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:23 pm

I live in a hot country (Israel) and have owned my i-pace for a year now.
I can say that the average difference in range is 20% between my summer vs winter.
(winter here isn't very cold so I hardly ever used the heater apart from seat heating).
My best Summer range was 325km
My best Winter range was around 390km
MY20 Corris Grey SE, Oyster Seats, 20" Wheels

oysteinhermansen

Post by oysteinhermansen » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:57 pm

It´s been very warm in Norway as well these days with temp up to 30+ degrees. During the last two days I had 10 short trips (3 hours total lenght) added up to a total of 150 km (93 miles). A/C on auto and cabin temp set at 20 degrees.

On each trip, the car started to cool down the cabin from 30+ to 20 degrees. Average consumption was about 2 kWh/100km (should add up to approx 30 kWh for all 10 trips). But the SOC went from 100% (start of day one) to 50% (end of day). 50% SOC equals about 42 kWh energy used. So the math shows that approx 12 kWh was used by the A/C to cool down the cabin. When doing a lot of small trips in hot water, where the car has the A/C running on max to cool it down on startup, it uses quite a lot of energy.

scm

Post by scm » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:34 pm

oysteinhermansen wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:57 pm
When doing a lot of small trips in hot water ....
I hope you mean hot weather - otherwise you'd be taking off-road rather to extremes! :lol:

oysteinhermansen

Post by oysteinhermansen » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:15 pm

😂😂 Yes I meant weather. The car is great but not that water proof yet 😂