Reduction in range with A/C on.

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
ianipace

Reduction in range with A/C on.

Post by ianipace » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:26 pm

I tried the A/C on the car today!
What are other users findings regarding range reduction?
202 miles no A/C just the fan on 3
168 miles with A/C on!

That surely is a bit extreme?

Also I wasn't impressed as to how cold it got on LO. Not the icy breeze I was expecting!

Comments anyone?

Stay safe

Ian
MY2019 SE in Caesium Blue. Panoramic roof and 20" wheels. Ohme Smart charger.

Fluff

Re: Reduction in range with A/C on.

Post by Fluff » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:32 pm

I cant comment, as mine doesnt work.

Going in tomorrow.....

I'm hoping for an icy breeze.

Of course the range dip will be relative to the temperature difference your trying to maintain, so if its 30 Deg, and you set 20, it will use a fair bit of energy.

Also may take account of how fast you drive, so if you drive slowly, it has to do that for longer, than a fast driver. Without knowing the parameters the GOM uses, its not easy to predict.

bradtipp

Post by bradtipp » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:27 pm

I always have my AC on and so far my range is 250 miles, haven't tried switching it off to see if that goes up, but will.

syncd

Post by syncd » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:34 pm

I haven't made accurate measurements, but my impression is that i loose about 10% of the range with the AC on (cooling to 22C with outside temp somewhere between 26C and 30C).

Never put it on LO, so can't comment, but i generally agree that the AC doesn't feel very powerful, at least compared to the ones i was used to in Audi/BMW/VW, and it is also much more loud when put on Auto than those. I always used ACs on their auto setting, just setting the temp, and that was enough for a comfortable environment. With the Jag, Auto always goes to max fan, which is uncomfortably loud, and manually setting the fan speed at 3, to keep the noise under control, doesn't set the temperature quite as well as others. IMO it's definitely a weaker point for JLR compared to the germans.

fa147

Post by fa147 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:38 pm

You've got to remember that if you want the cabin temperature to be opposite to that of outside, it will cost you some range as the car has to do more work to either cool or heat up the cabin.

I assume it is more efficient to heat the cabin as apposed to cooling it as it uses the heat generated from the batteries to deliver the warmth in the cabin. However, cooling the cabin can't be achieved any other way but to make use of the AC, ergo, using electricity.

I've never given it much thought and no one ever bothers to test, but I guess turning on the AC in an ICE also reduced it range significantly...
I-Pace MY20 HSE, Corris Grey, Ebony/Ebony Interior, 20” Grey & Diamond Turned, Panoramic Roof
IMC: S20A_20.16.5-536345 | Telematics: 16.2 | Map 08.030.0109.0155
Home Charging: Zappi 2.0

ianipace

Post by ianipace » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:48 pm

fa147 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:38 pm
You've got to remember that if you want the cabin temperature to be opposite to that of outside, it will cost you some range as the car has to do more work to either cool or heat up the cabin.

I assume it is more efficient to heat the cabin as apposed to cooling it as it uses the heat generated from the batteries to deliver the warmth in the cabin. However, cooling the cabin can't be achieved any other way but to make use of the AC, ergo, using electricity.

I've never given it much thought and no one ever bothers to test, but I guess turning on the AC in an ICE also reduced it range significantly...
Most modern ICE cars are very efficient these days. Gone are those days when you put the A/C on and thew engine slowed down! and you turned it off to get up a hill!

30ºC ambient today certainly gave the range a boost as the battery must have been nice and warm! So it was a surprise how much the range dropped with the A/C on. The difference between LO and 16ºC was negligible.

Stay safe

Ian
MY2019 SE in Caesium Blue. Panoramic roof and 20" wheels. Ohme Smart charger.

ChrisMc

Post by ChrisMc » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:52 pm

I did two trips of 60 miles today, one in Eco with air con on full and one in Comfort with air con on full, both took around an hour and 5 minutes, both mostly motorway, the Comfort mode trip was slightly more efficient at 35.2kWh/ 100 miles compared to 37.2 kWh/ 100 miles. Not sure if that proves much but its there FWIW
MY20 - I Pace HSE EV400 Black, full black pack, Mars Red Windsor leather sports seats, gloss black 20” wheels etc
InControlTouch Pro: S20A_20.16.5-536345 Telematics: Was 14.2 Now 16.2 - H228, H264, H270

BillCB

Post by BillCB » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:12 am

I find the fan speed is the biggest consumer of power. In "Settings" I have set mine to "2". You can see the effect on the Range Impact screen.
HSE Fuji White, Black Ext Pack, Cold Climate, Adaptive Dynamics, ADSR, Fogs, Perf. Seats, HUD and pretty much all options including Cooled Glovebox!

wilco

Post by wilco » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:01 am

I tend to leave the A/C on & the fan on 2 & this works quite well for me. I have tried the fan at high speed & this is definitely the one that burns up the power, I don't find the A/C to bad unless you really hammer it on Max.
S, Borasco Grey, 18" wheels, oyster leather, gesture tailgate. Software S20A_20.16.5-536345 & 17.2, H228

Al's Ipace

Post by Al's Ipace » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:51 am

I leave the car set to normal mode, A/C on and set to auto. Set the dials to the temp required. I also set the car to detect who is on the seats and the heating, A/C is only sent to the occupied seating. I do get a nice icy blast when it is hot. Always had these settings and drive to London from Norwich and back again with just a quick coffee and charge in a Shell garage on the way home.
Can't see why you would have such a nice car and not use all its luxury/comfort settings.
December 2019 I-Pace S | Firenze Red | Ebony Luxtex & Gloss Black Interior | 18" Style 1022 Silver Sparkle Wheels | Privacy Glass, | Software: S20A_20.16.5-536345| Pod Point Home Charger | So far no problems.