Which Home Charger?

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Abu Dhabi Dude

Re: Which Home Charger?

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:19 pm

SammyD wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:11 pm

You are the lucky one ADD. The rest of us get to use whatever is the cheapest and dumbest meter that the supplier (not the leccy company) can find. My so called smart meters (SMETS2 branded) are not suitable for Octopus and other energy companies. They don't send the data securely. Doh!
Smart Meters?
As the countryman says when asked by some city folk for directions... "I wouldn't start from here!"
I just assumed my experience was the norm. And mine is “only” a SMETS1 meter by the way. But I fully see why you’re so disgruntled about them. For me (with the setup provided by Octopus) there are very tangible benefits to the smart meter. But as yours is set up, I’d be struggling to see any benefit either.

udank

Re: Which Home Charger?

Post by udank » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:16 pm

Abu Dhabi Dude wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:19 pm
SammyD wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:11 pm

You are the lucky one ADD. The rest of us get to use whatever is the cheapest and dumbest meter that the supplier (not the leccy company) can find. My so called smart meters (SMETS2 branded) are not suitable for Octopus and other energy companies. They don't send the data securely. Doh!
Smart Meters?
As the countryman says when asked by some city folk for directions... "I wouldn't start from here!"
I just assumed my experience was the norm. And mine is “only” a SMETS1 meter by the way. But I fully see why you’re so disgruntled about them. For me (with the setup provided by Octopus) there are very tangible benefits to the smart meter. But as yours is set up, I’d be struggling to see any benefit either.

Agreed.

My old new meters (craziness...) were from BG, and they were ok with a reasonable IHD to use and provide real time info for electric and half hourly for gas. My usage was plotted on their website too, but when I switched to Octopus, they could not take over these meters, hence my earlier post...

It all came to light when I switched to Octopus in early June, but I have since had new-new Smart meters fitted last week, and swapped over to the GO tariff today.
As you say, the set up from Octopus does offer some benefits.

I thought all SMETS2 were supplier switch enabled... oh dear...
I-Pace EV400 SE, fuji white, ebony interior, heated front seats and privacy glass.

I think it's built, it's apparently on it's way, will it arrive this year...?