Which Home Charger?

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
jpbates

Re: Which Home Charger?

Post by jpbates » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:27 pm

If you have a SMETS1 meter which is branded "Secure" then Octopus can access this. I had these and have been able to change to Octopus Go tariff
MY20 16th July HSE Firenze Red, Pano Roof, HUD, Black pack, 5055 18", Active Suspension/Air, Front Fogs, Ebony Sports Seats.
S20B 20.27.3-568398 telematics 18.2 BECS BP-AAE-BC-AC-BE Maps 08.030.0110.0153
Zappi 2.0 Untethered and Solar, Rolec

LKM10

Post by LKM10 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:13 pm

Good evening all,
I have a standard meter, the old analogue spinning disc type!
Smart meter issues are nothing to do with Chinese or Russians seeing what I use, simple reason is mentioned in earlier post re problems changing suppliers etc. etc.

udank

Post by udank » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:03 am

LKM10 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:13 pm
Good evening all,
I have a standard meter, the old analogue spinning disc type!
Smart meter issues are nothing to do with Chinese or Russians seeing what I use, simple reason is mentioned in earlier post re problems changing suppliers etc. etc.
There is no issue in changing supplier at all.
In my experience a SMETS1 meter (if that was fit, but it shouldn't be anymore) may just not function in full smart mode anymore, but it still works the same as your retro meter, and shows usage but without the costs attached to it. You can read your usage from indoors too.

My annoyance with them stems from the hype about saving energy and going green etc, but then the industry will happily remove and bin (or maybe recycle?) my 1 year old meters because they're not actually smart enough!
I find that extremely disappointing.
I held off having them fitted until I was told they would definitely be SMETS2. But it has now turned out that was false information, I bet the installer still got paid for the work though...

Smart meters in a not so smart world.
I-Pace EV400 SE, fuji white, ebony interior, heated front seats and privacy glass.

I think it's built, it's apparently on it's way, will it arrive this year...?

AceflyerMcell

Post by AceflyerMcell » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:38 pm

I initially set out at the beginning of the year to improve our home electric supply to accept a 7KW charging point. Our meter board contained an old rewireable fuse box with two extra ciruit breakers protecting the garage supply and the fomer 7KW electric shower which has now been replaced with a system point served by the gas boiler.
Our energy supplier the Co-op, who had taken over GB Energy, were themselves taken over by Octopus. As we had been planning an electric car for a few months I was excited to see their green energy credentials and their interest in electric cars along with a couple of car EV friendly tariffs.
The first step was to get a local, recommended, electrician to install a new main consumer unit with mcbs and rcds which had to be metal to meet the new wiring regs. He did a good job installing new meter tails and checking the main fuse was 100 amp. He also checked the house earth wiring was fit for purpose which fortunately it was which kept down the cost a bit.
The Octopus Go Tariff took my interest because of the 5p per KWH cheaper price between 0030hrs and 0430 hrs. They do need to install Smets2 smart meters and put you on an interim tariff before going on Octopus Go. We were allowed to keep our GB Energy fixed tariff until switching to Go. This is because they need a period of half hourly readings from the smart meters before the switch.
Once contacting Octopus for smart meters and explaining our interest in a charging point they literally took over and arranged everything the meters were installed including a cut-out switch between the meter and the consumer unit, that the company who were coming to install the charging
point insisted on.
The company who did the charging point were quite good, as we had a 10mm(sq2) cable running to the garage we didn't want the disruption of another cable running through the house. It has been fitted with the addition of a Matte-E RCBO 32amp Voltage Potection device which replaced the earth electrode, as the charging point is undercover it was deemed to be adequate
So the installation looks quite neat as with the EO Mini Pro box which is unobtrusive, the smart connection to our router was taken care of with an extender to our garage which boosted the signal back up to 100%. All we need now is a car to plug into it.
I had said I would never have smart meters installed previously. But I must admit we have seen areas in our electricity usage that we have managed to cut down significantly. Although we still await the delivery of our car all our laundry is done at the cheap rate between 0030hrs and 0430hrs. I've actually fitted a timer switch to the tumble dryer so it can only be used at the cheap rate. And its quite easy to check our Octopus Account to see that this is complied with.
The next step is research into Solar panels to cut the cost down further. With research being done into improving batteries, this can only be beneficial to solar panel storage improvement and BEV range. How does a 350 mile plus I- Pace sound?
Smets1 smart meters can be remotely updated now so its not the end if you have one of these its always worth asking.

RobN

Post by RobN » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:02 pm

We’ve had dual tariff (Economy 7) for years, a hangover from when kids were little & we had lots of washing/tumble dryer activity overnight. I was thinking of taking it out but really glad I didn’t now I have the I-Pace!

I had a pod-point 7kWh charger put in just before delivery of the car. The engineer was very pleasant and tidy, the unit has worked faultlessly since. The iPhone app is useful for tracking charges and costs, but has no functionality when it come to controlling charging (it would be great if you could set it to turn off when SOC = 80% for instance). I’d definitely recommend pod-point as straightforward and so far reliable.

Best, Rob
SE MY20 Corris Grey, 20” wheels, oyster leather 10 way seats, panoramic roof, black trim + privacy glass + 7kWh Podpoint & ICE XK8 Conv 1996 (Jag owner/enthusiast since 1994 :D )

TJM

Post by TJM » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:33 pm

I'm currently awaiting delivery of an iPace and I'm having the same debate of electricity provider, smart meter YES/NO and which charger. I've switched to Octopus and I am debating an EO Mini Pro OR a Pod Point.

The key difference I see is EO is a smaller tidy unit and can be modified to take solar charging and PodPoint cannot take solar charging but has a "MONITORED" function which apparently can fix automatically charging issues which the EO cannot. This was gleaned from a comparison table available on the web.

It also looks like PodPoint provide some public charging stations which integrates with the PodPoint app. I'm not sure about EO but it uses the JuiceNet app which I assume is more "open"?

PodPoint does seem to have very good reviews but I do like the neater look of EO.

Has anyone on the forum got a PodPoint or EO Mini Pro and can comment on their experiences?

Thanks

Tim.
Last edited by TJM on Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SammyD

Post by SammyD » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:39 pm

udank wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:03 am

Warning: Rant alert

Smart Meters are NOT Smart. They are dumb. The only difference over the old mechanical ones is that they 'phone home' with your data at regular intervals.

Can I download the data that they upload so that 'I' as in the owner of that data can look at it and adjust my usage accordingly?
No I [redacted] well can't. I'd love for someone to explain what is exactly smart about the meters I have? Oh, you mean that the supplier can cut me off at times of high load.

The general 'joe public' might get fooled by the Advertising etc but anyone with a decent engineering background will see right through the propaganda in an instant.

If the meters were even half smart, they'd switch suppliers and tariffs for me without me knowing about it.
don't even get me started about the hoops you have to go through when changing supplier if you have solar panels.

Rant over.
Driving "Hirundo Rustica" since 15th Mar 2019. Lovely Jubbly :D :D
S20A_20.07.5-507626 Maps : whatever is current.

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:43 pm

SammyD wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:39 pm

Can I download the data that they upload so that 'I' as in the owner of that data can look at it and adjust my usage accordingly?
No I [redacted] well can't. I'd love for someone to explain what is exactly smart about the meters I have? Oh, you mean that the supplier can cut me off at times of high load.
Mine came with an in-home display which does allow me to do that. I can’t download it to a computer, but within the IHD I can view current usage, today’s usage and this month’s usage to allow me to adjust my consumption. I’d like to be able to download it to a spreadsheet but at least I can access it. I thought they all did that, but it sounds like that’s not the case.

In addition, Octopus allow me to view the uploaded usage data via their website. They also have an API so it may be possible to download a CSV file via that, but I haven’t investigated that.

SammyD

Post by SammyD » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:11 pm

Abu Dhabi Dude wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:43 pm
SammyD wrote:

Mine came with an in-home display which does allow me to do that. I can’t download it to a computer, but within the IHD I can view current usage, today’s usage and this month’s usage to allow me to adjust my consumption. I’d like to be able to download it to a spreadsheet but at least I can access it. I thought they all did that, but it sounds like that’s not the case.

In addition, Octopus allow me to view the uploaded usage data via their website. They also have an API so it may be possible to download a CSV file via that, but I haven’t investigated that.
You are the lucky one ADD. The rest of us get to use whatever is the cheapest and dumbest meter that the supplier (not the leccy company) can find. My so called smart meters (SMETS2 branded) are not suitable for Octopus and other energy companies. They don't send the data securely. Doh!
Smart Meters?
As the countryman says when asked by some city folk for directions... "I wouldn't start from here!"
Driving "Hirundo Rustica" since 15th Mar 2019. Lovely Jubbly :D :D
S20A_20.07.5-507626 Maps : whatever is current.

elbocko

Post by elbocko » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:13 pm

SammyD wrote:
udank wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:03 am

Warning: Rant alert

Smart Meters are NOT Smart. They are dumb. The only difference over the old mechanical ones is that they 'phone home' with your data at regular intervals.

The general 'joe public' might get fooled by the Advertising etc but anyone with a decent engineering background will see right through the propaganda in an instant.

If the meters were even half smart, they'd switch suppliers and tariffs for me without me knowing about it.
don't even get me started about the hoops you have to go through when changing supplier if you have solar panels.

Rant over.
I agree with all the above. I have kept my old mechanical spinning disk meter and will not let them change it unless they can provide evidence that the replacement is as accurate and reliable,
El Bocko

E 2ERO, SE, Firenze Red, MY19, 18". Still loving it.
Infotainment - S20C_20.16.5-536345. It has gone backwards, now S20B_20.27.3-568398 @ 26/7/2020
Vehicle Connectivity 17.2,
Battery Energy Control Shh, it won't say. H264v3 completed.