Which Home Charger?

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
LKM10

Which Home Charger?

Post by LKM10 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:07 am

Hello all,
I have now managed to sell my car, so will be looking for an i pace with a bit more vigor.
But, I have a few questions so if you can help I would be grateful.
Which home charger? Bearing in mind i have a standard electricity meter, I do not wish to change to a smart meter (or am I being naive).
Would it be cheaper to buy and have it installed by a guy who has done great work for me in the past or should I go with a grant install?
Any advice will be well received.
Thank you.

Quakered

Re: Which Home Charger?

Post by Quakered » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:12 am

I think the available chargers now need to be “smart” to be eligible for the £500 government grant so also suspect all are much of a muchness delivering 7.2ish KWHs into your car.

Why do you not want a smart meter? Are you also against vaccinations?

With a smart meter you will have access to off-peak electricity for around 5 to 7p per KWH in place of the standard rate of some 15p to 18p. I am sure you friendly local electrician can install the charge point but you will not get the £500 government grant unless he is an approved installer. Also you cannot claim the grant unless you can prove to actually own an EV - thinking about buying one will not work!

Finally make sure you get a charger with a tethered cable so you don’t have to faff around in the cold and rain with the car’s cables. also make sure the cable will stretch to your car’s charging point when on the drive / garage.

Hope that helps
SE Firenze Red, Oyster leather, glass roof, HUD, Air Suspension, delivered 6/19

scm

Post by scm » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:18 am

Quakered wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:12 am
Why do you not want a smart meter? Are you also against vaccinations?
Wow, non sequitur of the month! :shock:

Sparky2021

Post by Sparky2021 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:57 am

CTEK have launched in UK Chargestorm EV charger really impressed with spec and best brand name for chargers link below

www.chargestom.se
Last edited by Sparky2021 on Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sparky2021

Post by Sparky2021 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:00 pm

I also agree smart meters are great on paper but in reality has been a lot trouble for people for example changing suppliers is not ease due to compatibility of the smart meter therefore at this time I would not go for a smart meter maybe best o wait a couple of years

Al's Ipace

Post by Al's Ipace » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:06 pm

Hi and welcome to the Ipace Forum LKM10.

I had a new Ipace last December. Took a bit of research to find. Pod Point and Octopus Energy. Octopus will work with or without a smart meter. With smart meter you can see your daily usage and manage your electric bill easily.
I had a Pod Point charging point unit fitted at my home, see link below.

https://pod-point.com/solutions/driver/home-charging

All was dealt with via the phone and email. Install was smooth and no issues.

We married up to that an Octopus Go tariff for EV's. 5p a KW between 12.30am - 4.30am.
Again the swap to this tariff went smoothly.

If interested take a look at this offer to have £50 off the Octopus Go tariff.

https://share.octopus.energy/pale-pony-197
December 2019 I-Pace S | Firenze Red | Ebony Luxtex & Gloss Black Interior | 18" Style 1022 Silver Sparkle Wheels | Privacy Glass, | Software: S20B 20.27.3-568398| Pod Point Home Charger | Octopus Go, share.octopus.energy/pale-pony-197

scm

Post by scm » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:00 pm

Sparky2021 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:00 pm
I also agree smart meters are great on paper but in reality has been a lot trouble for people for example changing suppliers is not ease due to compatibility of the smart meter therefore at this time I would not go for a smart meter maybe best o wait a couple of years
The type 1 meters were the "incompatible across suppliers" one, type 2 should be okay. So long as you insist on a type 2 changing suppliers should be a breeze. Not sure about how secure they are, though.

udank

Post by udank » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:48 pm

scm wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:00 pm
The type 1 meters were the "incompatible across suppliers" one, type 2 should be okay. So long as you insist on a type 2 changing suppliers should be a breeze. Not sure about how secure they are, though.
Should be a breeze... I certainly hoped so, but that's not my experience just yet.

I'm waiting for a follow up response from my new supplier, who claim I have a SMETS1 meter, so I'm not eligible for my chosen tariff. This is despite my existing meter being specifically identified as a SMETS2 on their own website with instructions on how to read it.
I'll be a priority case to change my 'new' meters for some different 'new' meters though...
(I'll be honest, I have no idea how the national system works)

We had a Pod Point installed, it looks fine, I can't vouch for it's function though since neither EV has turned up yet...! :lol:

Edit: We had the pod point installed as part of the lease agreement for the wife's EV, which effectively added the cost onto the agreement price, minus the £500 grant of course.
I-Pace EV400 SE, fuji white, ebony interior, heated front seats and privacy glass.

I think it's built, it's apparently on it's way, will it arrive this year...?

LKM10

Post by LKM10 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:36 pm

Many thanks for the replies....food for thought.
Further research I think.

Quakered

Post by Quakered » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:17 pm

I think you need a smart meter to use the OctopusEV tariff as how else will they know how much electricity you use during the daily 4 hour cheap rate? Might also be worth looking at EDF's EV tariff, this charges 7p per KWH. While this is 2p more than Octopus, it does provide this rate from 21:00 to 07:00 during weekdays and for 24 hours at the weekend. No bungs however for recommending them! Again a smart meter needed.

I don't understand the fear of smart meters as I assumed V drivers would not be Luddites. If the Chinese or Russians want to monitor my electricity users, then let them!
SE Firenze Red, Oyster leather, glass roof, HUD, Air Suspension, delivered 6/19