Android Vs Apple for iPace

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Marcel8141

Android Vs Apple for iPace

Post by Marcel8141 » Sat May 23, 2020 2:31 pm

Hi All

Been a long time lurker currently waiting and praying for my iPace to be delivered some time in the near future (and when it is safe to do so!).

I have a rather mundane question - I usually flit between iphone or android depending on what deals are avaliable at the time. Is there a general consensus on whether Android or apple are better for use with the I-Pace? I see a lot of people like android for WattCat, but are there any other considerations here? I will get whichever suits the car best really.

Thanks in advance and good health to you all.

MjrPayne

Re: Android Vs Apple for iPace

Post by MjrPayne » Sat May 23, 2020 3:31 pm

I've been using iPhone 90% of time, only check tyre pressure from Android Wattcat. Android Auto is not supported in every country so that leaves iPhone s only option.
Blue HSE since 21.1.2019
Backup -04 XJ SuperV8

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Sat May 23, 2020 3:39 pm

I find the Apple CarPlay integration better than the android auto one. Both are good but CarPlay is a much smoother and more seamless one (partly because there are no issues with different makes of phone hardware I suspect). It also makes good use of the full width of the screen. I believe android auto is better now but last time I used it, it didn’t go full width like CarPlay. Maybe someone with the latest version could confirm if they’ve improved on that?

For apps you have WattCat for android but now we also have MyPace for iOS so both have a theirs party app. Wattcatt looks prettier but both offer similar functionality and both have excellent developers who are very actively improving their apps all the time. I have both an android and an ios phone and find I use my iPhone all the time with the Jag. But in all honesty I massively prefer iOS anyway, so that has a major bearing on the choice of phone for use with the car.

NigelC

Post by NigelC » Sat May 23, 2020 5:59 pm

Hi Marcel,

Welcome to the Forum. You might want to think about getting both!

I'm a long time Apple user, from the very old System 6 days, so I downloaded the IoS versions of the Jaguar Remote and Route Planner apps.

A couple of months after getting our car, we had severe reservations about the extent of the range we were getting.

Some very good advice from various members of this forum prompted me in the direction of the Android Wattcat app. At the time, and this may still be the case, Wattcat was the only app to give a readout of the battery State of Charge in absolute KwH terms rather than just as a %.

This helped me enormously in getting the battery issue sorted, and JLR were brilliant.

The is now a 3rd Party IoS app, MyPace, which works well on my iPhone.

I use an iPhone for playing music in the car, via bluetooth, and this works great for me.

Hope you get your iPace soon. It is by far the best car I've ever owned!

Kind regards,
Nigel
MY 20 SE Corris Grey
Delivered 09/19
H264, H270, 20A

Marcel8141

Post by Marcel8141 » Sun May 24, 2020 2:09 pm

Thank you everyone for your feedback - it is very much appreciated.

So I am reading that there is no real front runner, so perhaps the answer is to hang on to my current android, and buy a new iPhone so I will have both ;)

Do either apps allow you to control the internal climate remotely? I.e. if you needed to leave a dog inside for example?

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Sun May 24, 2020 2:18 pm

Marcel8141 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:09 pm
Thank you everyone for your feedback - it is very much appreciated.

So I am reading that there is no real front runner, so perhaps the answer is to hang on to my current android, and buy a new iPhone so I will have both ;)

Do either apps allow you to control the internal climate remotely? I.e. if you needed to leave a dog inside for example?
Both apps have either the normal climate control which turns it on for 30 minutes and a “camper mode” which does what you are asking for. Camper mode turns on the AC and keeps it running constantly. MyPace keeps it running until you switch it off manually, where WattCat has a timer in which you set how long you want camper mode to run for and the it turns off automatically.

Marcel8141

Post by Marcel8141 » Sun May 24, 2020 2:38 pm

Excellent - thank you very much! I am now back to waiting for delivery before I am sure more questions arise.

DickiePhitt

Post by DickiePhitt » Sun May 24, 2020 9:22 pm

I can only comment on Android Auto which I use exclusively and in preference to the car's native infotainment. Plug the phone in and get full screen satellite view map with streamed music, all with good voice control.

ardevd

Post by ardevd » Mon May 25, 2020 5:00 am

I find that Android Auto works great in The I-Pace and I don't really understand why you would want to switch or carry both, but to each their own :)

I'm committed to improving and maintaining WattCat for the foreseeable future and the app will always be free and without any ads, analytics or user tracking.
Control your I-Pace with jlrpy or WattCat for Android| I-PACE HSE Ebny Prem Txt MY2019.

Telematics: 18.2 | InControl: 19C_19.46.4-458817

RodLaird

Post by RodLaird » Mon May 25, 2020 9:12 am

ardevd wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:00 am
I find that Android Auto works great in The I-Pace and I don't really understand why you would want to switch or carry both, but to each their own :)

I'm committed to improving and maintaining WattCat for the foreseeable future and the app will always be free and without any ads, analytics or user tracking.
And we are all in your debt!!! Super work.
cheers from Oz

Rod

White HSE, HUDPANOROOFAIRSUSPENSIONAIRIONISERFOGLIGHTSAMBIENTTOYLIGHTSMUDGUARDSANDOTHERSHIT