New owner, nearly...can I have your advice?

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
JJipace

New owner, nearly...can I have your advice?

Post by JJipace » Mon May 18, 2020 9:01 pm

Hello all,

Firstly, I have been lurking for 6 months - and have found the forum (and some members youtube videos - you know who you are!) invaluable, as I wait for my IPace.

I have little to contribute, but would appreciate your collective advice. Hopefully I can repay this in future.

I had never considered electric until I drove the IPace on a whim, and I was sold, despite being used to big petrol cars. Though, some things have always bothered me - namely the manual steering wheel adjustment, the lack of roof cover and the awful rear armrest.

They nearly meant I didn't order, but as no improvements were on the horizon, I ordered an all options ticked HSE (except no 22"s ;)) in Dec 19.

It was supposed to be ready for the new reg in W1 March, but was delayed due to battery issues, then W3 April, delayed indefinately due to C19.

Now I understand, similar to other posters experiance, it will be late July. I know, obviously, quite a lot of this isn't JLRs fault and none is the dealers.

Whilst bored, I was looking for accessories the other week and saw that the pano roof cover was labelled pre MY21, that got me wondering, then I saw some threads appear on here...

Putting 2 and 2 together, I am really concerned that the batch of IPaces currently on the line will be finished, and then all new orders will then become MY21 with associated improvements (pano roof cover, redesigned bumper etc.)

I don't want to be paying circa 85k for the last of the line before improvements are released, it will annoy me for my whole time with the car.

If I was going in eyes open when ordering, with the associated discount a pre-facelift or suchlike normally brings, that would have been less painful.

What would you do? How much do we actually know about what is going on?

I do already have my charging point which has sat unused for 4 months, ha!

Many thanks,

JJIpace.
No Ipace yet.

Abu Dhabi Dude

Re: New owner, nearly...can I have your advice?

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Mon May 18, 2020 10:42 pm

Hi JJ. Welcome to the wonderful world of I-Pace.

It’s a difficult one to answer with any degree of certainty. I haven’t heard any solid rumours of any major revisions for the next model year. Which probably means it will be minor revisions to the packages as they did last year. However, it does sound like even that could annoy you (from what you said about the roof cover). If it was me, I’d probably go ahead with the order, but only you know how important those kind of things would be to you. You don’t want to get into your car every day thinking “Damn, I wish it had X and Y”.

It’s only going into its third year of production which would be much earlier than JLR normally produce revisions. But, as with all these things, you always run the danger of missing out. However, with the likely backlog now, if you cancel and re-order you could be looking at the end of the year for delivery, by which time you’ll be thinking “what if the MY22 version is better?” It’s a difficult one. I’d be tempted to go ahead myself. I don’t think you’ll care about things like a roof cover once you start using it, but only you truly know how much something like that would bother you.

scm

Post by scm » Tue May 19, 2020 9:49 am

JJipace wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:01 pm
Putting 2 and 2 together, I am really concerned that the batch of IPaces currently on the line will be finished, and then all new orders will then become MY21 with associated improvements (pano roof cover, redesigned bumper etc.)
I'd be wary of assuming that the new MY model will be "improved" in all areas - for instance, sometimes "standard" features are made options so you end up paying for things in the new model that you'd got "free" in the old one. You ordered the car that you wanted, and it'll still be that car when you get it.

JJipace

Post by JJipace » Tue May 19, 2020 11:47 am

Thanks both, some very good points - I think its just the longer I wait the more doubt creeps in.

I hope the changes aren't significant, but then new technology constantly evolves.
No Ipace yet.

NigelC

Post by NigelC » Tue May 19, 2020 8:31 pm

I think you may have answered your own question!

The longer you wait, the more doubts creep in.

Obviously purchasing a fully kitted out HSE is not something to rush into.

We’ve had our I-Pace for just over 6 months, and every journey is a joy!

If you’ve been reading the forum posts, you will have seen that the I-Pace certainly has its foibles, but most of these are completely forgiven in exchange for a terrific drive. The car handles superbly.

If I were in the same position, but knowing how much we’ve enjoyed the car since we got it, I wouldn’t wait.

On another note, We had a major issue with our car and I received some very sensible help and advice from some forum members. JLR sorted the matter out effectively and without fuss.

Hope you enjoy your I-Pace when you get it!

Kind regards,
Nigel
MY 20 SE Corris Grey
Delivered 09/19
H264, H270, 20A

RobN

Post by RobN » Tue May 19, 2020 10:02 pm

Hi JJ,

May I add my welcome to the forum and hopefully very soon I-Pace drivers club!

I fully endorse NigelC's point. The I-Pace is a really great car to drive and own, so the sooner you get behind the wheel the better. If the roof cover fitting changes slightly on MY I'm sure you'll be able get one that fits your car, but in all honesty I was considering getting one but glad I didn't as the glass is perfectly tinted and heat/glare even in midday sun isn't an issue.

I hope it arrives in July as expected!

Best, Rob
SE MY20 Corris Grey, 20” wheels, oyster leather 10 way seats, panoramic roof, black trim + privacy glass + 7kWh Podpoint & ICE XK8 Conv 1996 (Jag owner/enthusiast since 1994 :D )

JJipace

Post by JJipace » Wed May 20, 2020 10:53 am

Thanks both. Really appreciate the warm welcome on here.

I don't mind (and expect!) the odd breakdown, its new tech, and its part of Jaguar ownership...I joke, I think.

I am looking forward to the car, over the past few days I was thinking what else would I get in its place. I genuinely couldn't think of an alternative. Everything else seemed to be a comprise.
No Ipace yet.

Fluff

Post by Fluff » Thu May 21, 2020 9:34 pm

Hello everyone, another New Owner(Nearly)…..

I have lurked, and found a lot of good information, thank you to everyone that takes the time to answer what are sometimes repeated questions.

I have a question, on charging, and would appreciate any help.

So at home I will have a 7kw box.

At work, in UK we have 3-phase 32A all over the building. Can I just plug into that, to the car, I understand the car will only take 1 Phase, but will it take 32A and therefore give me 7kw charging? As this would probably be free to me. Do I need any special cable? Or will the cable that comes as standard work?

Many thanks, a Newbie. - a very excited newbie as it could be arriving next week......pre-owned....

Delta5

Post by Delta5 » Fri May 22, 2020 7:27 am

Fluff, you will need a 7kw box at work as well. There are portable chargers you can plug in to industrial sockets if your boss permits.
IPace SE Caesium Blue, Ivory interior promised for May or June or July or ———-