Oh Frabjous Day!

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
JLW

Re: Oh Frabjous Day!

Post by JLW » Tue May 19, 2020 11:35 pm

Had my iPace a year now - no issues at all it has been a breeze and can recommend the vehicle, based on my experience, without hesitation.
Black on white HSE, 20" wheels, upgraded seats, pana, air and most of the other boxes ticked - owner since July 2019 - home charger Schneider 7.2kW with Bluetooth control since August 2019. All available updates applied.

scm

Post by scm » Wed May 20, 2020 9:12 am

fa147 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:18 pm
Saying that, I don't think anyone can argue against the fact that JLR cars may not be as reliable as other car manufactures; I guess.
I think plenty of people can argue against that. In my experience modenr Jaguars are no less reliable than a lot of other makes - the bad old days may still influence people's opinions but that's far from the truth nowadays. I think the i-Pace is a special case as it's a completely new vehicle from the ground up (okay, maybe not the wheels!) and is bound to have teething issues, which no doubt Jaguar is learning from, if too slowly for the guys on here.

AndrewB

Post by AndrewB » Fri May 22, 2020 6:27 pm

Hello,
I’ve just heard from Matford Exeter that the breakdown was indeed due to an EPIC (electronic power inverter controller) failure - and for once the description matches the scale of the problem. With their iPace expert on furlough and apparently unlikely to return for “up to 3 months” it
may be quite Some time before I am reunited with my car....
I am aware that several other forum users have reported identical failures of this unit (front or rear drive units) and I’d be interested to hear if any of you have an idea of its incidence and any explanation you may have been given as to why it happens.
Happily I have my loaner iPace and although it’s not as pretty as mine and lacks air suspension it’s still very enjoyable to drive. Would I buy another iPace? Like a shot!
I watched a video review of the new Tesla model Y yesterday and noted multiple issues with paint quality, panel gaps and misalignment, and cheap or flimsy interior fittings. The Tesla is clearly streets ahead on software and infotainment but the Jaguar iPace is a much more refined drive and better built (EPIC failures aside!!).
Andrew
I-Pace SE, Corris Grey, Oyster leather. 18” wheels, air suspension, adaptive dynamics, pano. roof. Ordered Oct.18, arrived March 19, Telematics 16.2, InControl 19C. Home charging EO mini.

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Fri May 22, 2020 6:31 pm

AndrewB wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:27 pm
Hello,
I’ve just heard from Matford Exeter that the breakdown was indeed due to an EPIC (electronic power inverter controller) failure - and for once the description matches the scale of the problem. With their iPace expert on furlough and apparently unlikely to return for “up to 3 months” it
may be quite Some time before I am reunited with my car....
I am aware that several other forum users have reported identical failures of this unit (front or rear drive units) and I’d be interested to hear if any of you have an idea of its incidence and any explanation you may have been given as to why it happens.
Happily I have my loaner iPace and although it’s not as pretty as mine and lacks air suspension it’s still very enjoyable to drive. Would I buy another iPace? Like a shot!
I watched a video review of the new Tesla model Y yesterday and noted multiple issues with paint quality, panel gaps and misalignment, and cheap or flimsy interior fittings. The Tesla is clearly streets ahead on software and infotainment but the Jaguar iPace is a much more refined drive and better built (EPIC failures aside!!).
Andrew
Sorry to hear it’s dragging out but at least you have an iPace loaner. When mine was in for weeks I had an f-type R. I’m probably still offsetting that loaner a year later!

Don’t forget also that the Model Y is as ugly as sin. Why is such a cutting edge company so incapable of designing an attractive car (roadster aside)?

anorak

Post by anorak » Fri May 22, 2020 8:22 pm

AndrewB wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:27 pm
Hello,
I’ve just heard from Matford Exeter that the breakdown was indeed due to an EPIC (electronic power inverter controller) failure....
Andrew
Glad to hear you've had it diagnosed so quickly Andrew, sorry it looks like being a while before you get it back though.

I'm only aware of a handful of others who have had the same problem actually confirmed, maybe 3 or 4. But there are another 10 or so cases that I've found on the interweb with similar symptoms who have either had the car repaired without an explanation or replaced with a brand new vehicle in a couple of instances.

The technician who sorted mine said he couldn't be certain but suggested that the small amount of free play in a wiring loom connector bracket caused a short when the motor was providing maximum torque, twisting the connector slightly out of line.

This ties in with what happened to me as I only had the issue (4 times in total before getting it fixed) when I had accelerated hard and/or going up hill.

Just in case anyone else reading experiences this nasty fault I did find (more through luck than judgement) that the violent shuddering only occurred below 5mph. Above this it drove normally, albeit with restricted power. It also reset itself after half an hour of being shut down and didn't reoccur for several weeks sometimes, also suggesting a loose connection that reseated itself after the motor's twisting force had been reduced.
I Pace EV400 S, Caesium blue, Oyster leather, 18" wheels
MY19, delivered 01/2019
IMC: S20C_20.16.5-536345 || Telematics: 17.2
Now on its 2nd front EPIC

AndrewB

Post by AndrewB » Fri May 22, 2020 9:32 pm

That’s very interesting, as the fault occurred when we had reversed very gently out of the car park space and then engaged D to go up a pretty steep slope (albeit very slowly). There was no sudden application of power - just enough to tackle the gradient - and the thumping and shuddering began instantly. Hardly enough to apply any undue force to a wiring loom I would have thought.
Anyway thank you for your knowledgeable input. I’ll try to establish from JLR exactly how frequently this has occurred!
Andrew
I-Pace SE, Corris Grey, Oyster leather. 18” wheels, air suspension, adaptive dynamics, pano. roof. Ordered Oct.18, arrived March 19, Telematics 16.2, InControl 19C. Home charging EO mini.

JJipace

Post by JJipace » Fri May 22, 2020 10:31 pm

Its great to hear that even after a big failure, and the potential for it being a good few months to get your car back, you are still an ipace fan!

Thats why I like this forum, people are passionate and sensible, I am excited to get my Ipace despite a long wait.

I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts on the difference between the air vs. non-air suspension?
No Ipace yet.

AndrewB

Post by AndrewB » Sat May 23, 2020 5:48 pm

This won’t be a technical reply. I am missing the air suspension on my loaner, which lacks it and rides noticeably more firmly albeit on 20” wheels rather than my 18” ones. I’m very happy with mine as they supplement the AS in the comfort department as well as providing better economy; and as the car can be lowered on parking they fill the wheel well very well unlike the 20” ones which surprisingly look a bit small and disproportionate in comparison without AS. I’m sure they’d look much better with the car sitting lower, however.

elbocko

Post by elbocko » Sat May 23, 2020 6:36 pm

JJipace wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:31 pm
Its great to hear that even after a big failure, and the potential for it being a good few months to get your car back, you are still an ipace fan!

Thats why I like this forum, people are passionate and sensible, I am excited to get my Ipace despite a long wait.

I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts on the difference between the air vs. non-air suspension?
Now that is a difficult question. I have Air Suspension on 18" wheels and I love it. But I cannot comment on non-air version. Others have non-air and think that their's is equally good. The only solution is to go and try both on the same wheels. Don't know if you can though.
El Bocko

E 2ERO, SE, Firenze Red, MY19, 18". Still loving it.
Infotainment - S20C_20.16.5-536345.
Vehicle Connectivity 17.2,
Battery Energy Control Shh, it won't say. H264v3 completed.

JJipace

Post by JJipace » Sat May 23, 2020 8:11 pm

Thanks both. I have ordered air with 20's, which I felt was the best compromise. Its good to hear air owners are fans of the ride it gives and thats the main thing.

I'm coming from a very firm 500hp V8 so anything will be an improvement!
No Ipace yet.