Oh Frabjous Day!

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
AndrewB

Oh Frabjous Day!

Post by AndrewB » Sat May 16, 2020 4:07 pm

So now it’s my turn! After a trouble free year of ownership, my hitherto perfect IPace has broken down - on my wife’s birthday!
We went to our local garden centre and on restarting the car to drive up a moderately steep slope heard a loud ‘thump thump thumping’ noise accompanied by 2 error messages: Drive with caution - stability control not available, and Restricted performance. The car would only move at about 5mph and then with a dreadful metallic noise and much shuddering.
The AA man reset the stability control and said there was a ‘line from the EPIC”,also reset, but the faults immediately recurred. The car was undriveable so is now being recovered to Exeter.....my wife has born this with impeccable good grace! I’m the one wailing and gnashing the teeth.
Andrew
I-Pace SE, Corris Grey, Oyster leather. 18” wheels, air suspension, adaptive dynamics, pano. roof. Ordered Oct.18, arrived March 19, Telematics 16.2, InControl 19C. Home charging EO mini.

MvM

Re: Oh Frabjous Day!

Post by MvM » Sat May 16, 2020 4:26 pm

Very sorry to hear about your misfortune?

With the noise you describe, I would think something mechanical has broken. Could be something in the gears or drive shaft.
Hopefully, it will be repaired quickly.

May I ask what your totale mileage is?

AndrewB

Post by AndrewB » Sat May 16, 2020 5:43 pm

6,400 miles only. So it’s hardly had an exacting life.
I think you may be right about the possibility of a drive shaft, but I’ll let you know - eventually. The car has gone into storage and I don’t know when Exeter or Taunton JLR will be up and running again in current circumstances.
Anyway I am still a fan. The IPace is such a fabulous, comfortable drive and I can’t wait to get it back .
Ho hum.
I-Pace SE, Corris Grey, Oyster leather. 18” wheels, air suspension, adaptive dynamics, pano. roof. Ordered Oct.18, arrived March 19, Telematics 16.2, InControl 19C. Home charging EO mini.

kermit68

Post by kermit68 » Sat May 16, 2020 6:58 pm

I had a similar situation with my car at least judging from the noise and the message. It turned out to be the the front motor inverter was faulty. More than a month to be fixed .... I hope you'll have better luck.
MY20 Yulong White SE, 20", air suspension, privacy glass, black pack and other fine stuffs

anorak

Post by anorak » Sun May 17, 2020 2:49 pm

Callooh, callay indeed Andrew. And a belated happy birthday to your wife, it seems we share the same date.

Sounds ominously like an EPIC failure to me. That's as in the electronic power inverter converter - not the millennial term for awesome. See here;

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2677&p=37952&hilit=epic#p37952

There are several other similar cases documented on this forum sadly. It could also be the front wiring harness which has a propensity to tear itself from its mounting under acceleration. Or both.

Might be worth mentioning to your repairing dealer when they get back into the workshop to save some time if they haven't dealt with something similar before. It took mine over a week to diagnose and then 2 more to replace the unit.

Hope you get it sorted quickly and have a decent loaner in the meantime.
I Pace EV400 S, Caesium blue, Oyster leather, 18" wheels
MY19, delivered 01/2019
IMC: S20C_20.16.5-536345 || Telematics: 17.2
Now on its 2nd front EPIC

AndrewB

Post by AndrewB » Sun May 17, 2020 6:37 pm

Thank you all for your sympathies.
I have to say that thus far Jaguar Assistance has been very good indeed. The AA man arrived within 60 minutes, and the transporter lorry a further
60 minutes after he realised he could neither diagnose the problem nor rectify it. Jaguar Assistance kept me updated regularly and loading was essentially uneventful - apart from the transporter driver having difficulty removing the tow eye cover and being obliged to revert to reading the manual!

Meanwhile a Discovery Sport loaner was offered but when I emphasised the many virtues of the iPace over any such ICE vehicle (today's misfortune being set aside for this purpose), Jaguar agreed to loan me another iPace which should be arriving tomorrow.

Judging by the horrors described by other members of this forum I feel comparatively lucky. But with the lockdown only beginning to ease, I may be in for a very long wait indeed before my own car is returned.

Andrew

FENorway

Post by FENorway » Sun May 17, 2020 8:18 pm

The I-Pace must be a nightmare for JLR. Almost everyone I know personal with an I-Pace(And thats 20-30 owners I guess) have been to the dealer for claims and repairs several times. My car has been there 5 times. This must cost a fortune...
Anyone who knows how this is affecting JLRs economy?
FE Corris grey light oyster/light oyster Performance 22" 5069 & 18" 19C_19.46.4-458817 and 18.2

ianipace

Post by ianipace » Sun May 17, 2020 8:53 pm

I've had a good look at the Workshop manual and I don't think it can be the EPIC.
The EPIC is not mechanical as far as I can see.
i've attached it so you can have a look at it.
Electric Motor.pdf
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 44 times
More likely to be the parking module or the planetary gears. Depending on the mechanical noises!
A collapsed constant velocity joint sounds most likely as it happened whilst turning sharply.
This is certainly the cheapest and easiest repair to do!
Keep safe

Ian
MY2019 SE in Caesium Blue. Panoramic roof and 20" wheels. Ohme Smart charger.

Liberal_Baggie

Post by Liberal_Baggie » Mon May 18, 2020 12:28 pm

I had several failures all related to the starter battery . In the end I just said fix the car so its like a brand new One or give me a new car. It took 2-3 weeks to get it totally sorted you have to chase Jag customer services and really moan like you mean it. Jag assistance though is FAB. The car has worked flawlessly ever since my showdown last October well over 6 months I'm happy now its the best car ever. 29,000 miles now.

fa147

Post by fa147 » Tue May 19, 2020 7:18 pm

FENorway wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:18 pm
The I-Pace must be a nightmare for JLR. Almost everyone I know personal with an I-Pace(And thats 20-30 owners I guess) have been to the dealer for claims and repairs several times. My car has been there 5 times. This must cost a fortune...
Anyone who knows how this is affecting JLRs economy?
I guess some of it is also the fact that mostly bad news is spread on these forums and across other platforms, rather than "business as usual" or "the car is working as expected". Those comments are not as readily available and so the picture may look car more bleak than it could. Also don't forget that the price of the car does place it in the higher than usual age bracket as far owners are concerned and some in that bracket may not be tech savvy or inclined to join forums and comment on their experienced, good or bad...

Saying that, I don't think anyone can argue against the fact that JLR cars may not be as reliable as other car manufactures; I guess.

Nonetheless, and I know I will now invoke Sod's law (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sod%27s_law) and after posting this thread.... :o
I-Pace MY20 HSE, Corris Grey, Ebony/Ebony Interior, 20” Grey & Diamond Turned, Panoramic Roof
IMC: S20A_20.16.5-536345 | Telematics: 16.2 | Map 08.030.0106.0154
Home Charging: Zappi 2.0