Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

Sat at 100% Charge due to Covid-19

19K views 78 replies 25 participants last post by  SammyD 
#1 ·
So thanks to all the sun of the last few days, my I-Pace is sat at 100% charge, but with little prospect of being able to use it for the next few weeks. A weekly 3 mile round trip to the local supermarket is hardly going to make a dint.

So, assuming that being sat at 100% for an extended period isn't great for the battery, any suggestions for running the battery down to a more suitable "storage" level, or is that not really necessary?

For context, I'm in the UK where the current guidance (which some police forces are actively enforcing) is that people should only be driving for essential reasons (e.g. essential jobs, shopping etc) and not leisure, even if they're not planning on getting out of the car.

#4 ·
Mine has been the same due to the WattCat app not stopping my charging, when it should have been, hopefully that has been fixed now though. However, I personally wouldn't worry too much, when I picked my car up end of April last year, just after the Bank Holiday (4 day) weekend, the dealer had left mine on charge for 5 days, most of that time at 100%, I could check it as my InControl app was live already. I have not noticed any problems with the battery and it still shows in the app as battery health at 99%.

#5 ·
Could reducing battery SOC be an essential reason :lol: take a few short runs with max acceleration in Dynamic mode, it will soon sort out your SOC problem :D

#6 ·
ChrisMc said:
Could reducing battery SOC be an essential reason :lol: take a few short runs with max acceleration in Dynamic mode, it will soon sort out your SOC problem :D
Those max acceleration runs might do more damage to the battery - running the AC I would consider a far better option.
Whether it is essential is of course debatable but can't imagine you getting a fine when you are alone in the car and explain you just drive from your home back to your home to reduce the SOC. Not stopping, not getting out of your car, just driving.

Luckily in NL we are not in a real lockdown although most public life has come to a standstill. People are free to leave their home unless they are ill, key is that they keep 1.5 meter distance from everyone and do not form groups of more than 2 people or risk a €400 fine.
So I am free to get in my car and drive around.

#7 ·
I have a similar problem although the car has not yet reached 100% SoC. It nearly happened earlier this week so I decided we need to do some essential food shopping. Rather than drive 2 miles to our local Sainsbury's we made a 30 mile trip to an out of town site (larger, more stock and emptier). We have a Tesla Powerwall to store our self generation for evening use and we have not had to import a single milliwatt from the grid since the 11th March. In the old days we would have had to export most of our daily production in the current weather conditions. Now the I Pace ensures we use it all. Better still, we are on the highest rate of FiT so we get 54p for every Kwh we generate! So the taxman is paying us to fill our car with electrons!

#8 ·
Quakered said:
...Better still, we are on the highest rate of FiT so we get 54p for every Kwh we generate! So the taxman is paying us to fill our car with electrons!
Wow, that hurts! I got my PV after FiT so right now because I'm not charging the car, once my hot water has heated up I'm just sending my electrons back up the grid for nothing for the rest of the day. I did consider a battery, but the numbers just didn't work out; it would have reached the end of its life before it had paid for itself.

We were also meant to be getting our Mini Electric within the next couple of weeks which would have been something else to use those electrons for, but the Mini plant shut down last week :roll:

G
#12 ·
In the UK you are allowed to go out for exercise once a day:
"One form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household."
So throw a couple of trainers in the back of the car, target a park 20 miles away, drive there, when you get there think better of it (too high a risk of encountering others). turn around and drive back. Enjoy your exercise of the jag. In the extremely unlikely event you get pulled over and interrogated - simply tell them the absolute truth. You will be harming no-one and doing your mental health a pile of good! Solve your problem with a clear conscience!

#13 ·
Around here the police have put road blocks in place to many of the areas people would normally go for walks, etc, touristy type places, they say you can walk there but are not allowed to drive there. One place only a couple of miles from me, its a place many people go to walk dogs etc, down the side of a river, they just won't allow any cars into the place, only people on foot.

#15 ·
mjc said:
NightFox said:
So thanks to all the sun of the last few days, my I-Pace is sat at 100% charge, but with little prospect of being able to use it for the next few weeks. A weekly 3 mile round trip to the local supermarket is hardly going to make a dint.

So, assuming that being sat at 100% for an extended period isn't great for the battery, any suggestions for running the battery down to a more suitable "storage" level, or is that not really necessary?

For context, I'm in the UK where the current guidance (which some police forces are actively enforcing) is that people should only be driving for essential reasons (e.g. essential jobs, shopping etc) and not leisure, even if they're not planning on getting out of the car.
In the UK you are allowed to go out for exercise once a day:
"One form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household."
So throw a couple of trainers in the back of the car, target a park 20 miles away, drive there, when you get there think better of it (too high a risk of encountering others). turn around and drive back. Enjoy your exercise of the jag. In the extremely unlikely event you get pulled over and interrogated - simply tell them the absolute truth. You will be harming no-one and doing your mental health a pile of good! Solve your problem with a clear conscience!
Until you have a car accident and cause more pressure to the NHS.

Honestly, I'm appalled at the number of people I see and hear trying to find "ways around this" as if they're being oh so clever. You're not. You're being incredibly stupid, reckless and selfish. Stay in unless absolutely necessary means exactly that. What part of it confuses you?

#19 ·
Mines at 77% now. I'll wont charge it again until it's down a lot more and that could be quite some time.

#20 ·
NightFox said:
Quakered said:
...Better still, we are on the highest rate of FiT so we get 54p for every Kwh we generate! So the taxman is paying us to fill our car with electrons!
Wow, that hurts! I got my PV after FiT so right now because I'm not charging the car, once my hot water has heated up I'm just sending my electrons back up the grid for nothing for the rest of the day. I did consider a battery, but the numbers just didn't work out; it would have reached the end of its life before it had paid for itself.

We were also meant to be getting our Mini Electric within the next couple of weeks which would have been something else to use those electrons for, but the Mini plant shut down last week :roll:
I confess I looked at PV before the FiT and could not see any way to make it work financially no matter how creative the man-maths! Once the FiT was announced I though £1,500 a year, tax free and index linked for 25 years seemed a no-brainer. Also managed to get mine installed in that window just before FiT was introduced so I could also get the £2,500 government grant towards PV. Cost to me was £10k. Once the Powerwall was released, again could not see the financial justification. However with a little man-maths I decided to lump the £6k cost into the spend on the PV so looking at at around £1.8k pa return on an investment of £16K. I know the accountants will say this does not allow for the depreciation but as an old pensioner my interest is in improving cashflow, not capital growth (or contraction!)

#21 ·
Abu Dhabi Dude said:
Until you have a car accident and cause more pressure to the NHS.

Honestly, I'm appalled at the number of people I see and hear trying to find "ways around this" as if they're being oh so clever. You're not. You're being incredibly stupid, reckless and selfish. Stay in unless absolutely necessary means exactly that. What part of it confuses you?
A tad harsh I think!

I saw a bit in the paper today where Old Bill had been using their toy helicopters to film locals driving into a beauty spot in Derbyshire. All the published shots had completely isolated people out enjoying fresh air and suspect they drove there on empty roads. No risk to them or others and better surely than walking around a housing estate breathing in the fumes from the lower orders in their diesels! Let us not loose a sense of proportion while fighting this bloody Chinese plague!

#22 ·
"Chinese plague". Seriously? Are you Donald Trump?

And yes, driving on empty roads probably won't lead to an accident. But you never know, it just might, and so in this present situation it is better not to take the risk, lest you find yourself in need of attention and placing more strain on the NHS.

#24 ·
The problem is you can't make rules that "just a few" people are allowed to drive to car parks and go for a nice walk in the countryside - you either allow it, or you don't. And if you do allow it, you get scenes like we had at Snowden etc last weekend, so you have to ban it, and we've already seen that if it's not enforced, people just do what they want. Despite everyone saying they're supportive of whatever it takes, I don't think a lot of people have realised just how much of a disruptive and uncomfortable commitment that's potentially going to become over the next few weeks - this isn't just a matter of not going to the pub for a week.

#25 ·
There is a nice park near me, a couple of nights ago lot of youths were in crowds there having a BBQ, the police rounded them all up, confiscated their BBQ, food, booze etc and took them away, no idea what happened to them, but you cannot let people just make their own decisions with something like this, otherwise we will never get rid of the virus.

#26 ·
Quakered said:
A tad harsh I think!

I saw a bit in the paper today where Old Bill had been using their toy helicopters to film locals driving into a beauty spot in Derbyshire. All the published shots had completely isolated people out enjoying fresh air and suspect they drove there on empty roads. No risk to them or others and better surely than walking around a housing estate breathing in the fumes from the lower orders in their diesels! Let us not loose a sense of proportion while fighting this bloody Chinese plague!
A tad stupid I think.

Almost every word you wrote allows me to form a very negative opinion of you and therefore disinclined to ever engage with you again. I'm sure you don't care but idiots like you with that ignorant attitude are putting other people who do actually care about others at huge risk. Just the use of the phrase "Chinese virus" pretty much tells me all I need to know about you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.