Third party app for I-Pace on iOS

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
ianipace

Re: Third party app for I-Pace on iOS

Post by ianipace » Wed May 06, 2020 6:20 pm

I should have added I built the 'grey box' because of the flakey charging on my car! I wanted to only charge the car between certain times which the car couldn't oblige!
It does mean that when allowed back to my place in France I don't have to cart the Ohme Smart charger around and reprogram that!

A simple plug'n'play using the 'grey box' and my Juice Booster 2 when on the go!

Keep safe

Ian
MY2019 SE in Caesium Blue. Panoramic roof and 20" wheels. Ohme Smart charger.

johnnyhush

Post by johnnyhush » Wed May 06, 2020 8:53 pm

Hey fa147, hope you'll be able to do that trip this year!

Regarding your suggestion, I do see where you're coming from - basically you're thinking about saving as much energy as possible. How much SoC (i.e energy) / per hour a climate is using heavily depends on the difference between the outside and the target cabin temperature.
Depending on that difference, initially it might take more power for the AC to reach your target temp, but it takes significantly less power to maintain it than to reach it initially. By having the AC off for some time, you'd basically let that difference grow, so then the next time the AC is on, it'd have to spend more energy to reach the target temp again.
There're similar discussions when it comes down to home AC system with inverters, and energy spent when running them continuously maintaining certain temperature vs turning it on periodically. It turns out that using the latter approach, you don't save any energy, and depending on how well the walls are isolated (or car materials), sometimes you might even spend more that way.

It'd be good if you did a couple of 10 - 12 hour tests, in different conditions (i.e different ambient temperatures), and measure the energy needed during the first hour, second, etc. That would provide more insight into what's optimal for camping / sleeping in I-Pace.

So that's regarding the energy consumption. How when it comes down to actual implementation details, Vehicle Departure Times are not that predictable like manually starting the precondition. The car will not always start the climate for every departure time when they're too close. Now how close is too close - I do not have that info, but I've seen videos where people tried adding a series of departure times to make the climate run throughout the night and it simply didn't work for them. That's why I don't think it'd be a good idea to add it to the app. Plus it's something that can be set offline using the car display, as well as using official Remote app, so I doesn't make too much sense to add it to MyPace. Ofc you suggested to be able to add multiple departure times at once, but even for that, one would need to define the intervals, and other details, so it might not even save time compared to using the car's display or official app.

These are just my two cents, and thanks for the idea / suggestion, I'm always open to talking about new ideas and things we could do.

ianipace

Post by ianipace » Thu May 07, 2020 9:14 am

ADD and I have been talking about the MyPace screen. Mine is white with black/blue text his is black background with white/blue text!
Here's mine.

IMG_0719.jpg

keep safe
Ian

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Thu May 07, 2020 9:19 am

ianipace wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:14 am
ADD and I have been talking about the MyPace screen. Mine is white with black/blue text his is black background with white/blue text!
Here's mine.

IMG_0719.jpg

keep safe
Ian
It’s because your phone is in light mode. Go to the settings app and in Display & Brightness you can change your phone to dark mode.

ianipace

Post by ianipace » Thu May 07, 2020 9:32 am

That is so obvious, but a bear with old brain forgot that!
I have to say for clarity I prefer the light mode, and for the Youtube video the light mode would work far better.
There was a survey of websites recently and most people preferred a light background. It is all to do with the way our brain processes things, as in books etc. White(ish) paper with dark, usually black, text.
Something to do with the fact we are daytime primates, not nocturnal! Well most people are daytime!
Our brains an eyes are set for light.
Driving at night is an interesting one. Some people really hate driving at night because their vision is impaired., Personally I don't have a problem with night driving though as I get older it isn't as easy.

Keep safe

Ian

ELray

Post by ELray » Thu May 07, 2020 9:38 am

ianipace wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:32 am
I have to say for clarity I prefer the light mode, and for the Youtube video the light mode would work far better.
There was a survey of websites recently and most people preferred a light background. It is all to do with the way our brain processes things, as in books etc. White(ish) paper with dark, usually black, text.
Something to do with the fact we are daytime primates, not nocturnal! Well most people are daytime!
Driving at night is an interesting one. Some people really hate driving at night because their vision is impaired., Personally I don't have a problem with night driving though as I get older it isn't as easy.

Keep safe

Ian
Me myself kind of prefer to drive at night time. It’s very useful to know there is a car coming way before you can see it. But in the Jaguar I kinda hate it when it’s raining. The lights gets a very high glow due to the placement of the heatwires in the front window. It’s very distracting :(
🇳🇴 Norway
:arrow: I-Pace S Edition X590 (19MY)
:arrow: Build date: 1 Feb 2019 | Delivered: 15 March 2019
⚙️ H264: 06.01.20
⚙️ Telematics: 16.2
⚙️ InControl(updOTA:27.05.20): S20A_20.16.5-536345
⚙️ BECS: Unknown
⚙️ Maps(upd:08.05.20): 08.030.0107.0158

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Thu May 07, 2020 11:38 am

ianipace wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:32 am

Keep safe

Ian
It’s easy to miss it. Not an area of settings I find myself in very often. It’s good to have the choice. I definitely prefer dark mode and find light mode more of a strain to use. It’s also better for battery life! But it’s nice to have the option to keep (most) people happy! There’s bound to be somebody who wants a pink background with orange text! :lol:

ianipace

Post by ianipace » Thu May 07, 2020 6:03 pm

Pink text on an orange background for me sweetie!

Keep safe luvies!

Ian

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Thu May 07, 2020 6:45 pm

ianipace wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 6:03 pm
Pink text on an orange background for me sweetie!

Keep safe luvies!

Ian
:lol: Awkward!

RobN

Post by RobN » Thu May 14, 2020 12:51 pm

johnnyhush wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:38 am
RobN wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 10:17 am
Only one question will you consider making it more graphic rich or are you thinking of keeping it straightforward and on one scrolling page?
That's a good question Rob - I'm not planning on making it prettier any time soon. The new / redesigned official Remote app looks good enough when it comes down to UI.
The goal with MyPace is to offer functionality that official app doesn't, and at the same time try to do it in a reasonable time frame. Not dealing with custom design and assets really helps focus on those missing features.

Here's my short term plan:

- Improve camper / pet mode, so that you get a notification if the climate cannot be restarted for some reason (e.g car cannot be reached, or insufficient SOC), so that you can come back in case you left your pets.
- Additional Limit SoC option for users with older telematics.
- Add one more tab, which will contain some quick stats, like miles driven today, along with efficiency, plus the same for this week, past week, past month, etc. So not replicating journeys from the official app, but adding some more insight / interesting data. What ends up on this screen might change over time as I get more feedback and ideas.
- Minor changes / additions to Watch app and Today widget.

After this is all good and stable, I'd like to focus more on the server side features. As I mentioned earlier, those would be available in a form of a monthly subscription, and would offer to run features like Limit SoC and camper / pet mode on the server, instead of running in on the phone, in the background. There would be some additional stuff only available on the server, like 'Permanent SoC', so you don't have to start the monitoring every time, timed charging, push notifications when you leave the car unlocked for X amount of time and the ignition is off.
Understood and makes sense.

Short term plan looks good too! Many thanks.

Best, Rob
SE MY20 Corris Grey, 20” wheels, oyster leather 10 way seats, panoramic roof, black trim + privacy glass + 7kWh Podpoint & ICE XK8 Conv 1996 (Jag owner/enthusiast since 1994 :D )