Third party app for I-Pace on iOS

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
ELray

Re: Third party app for I-Pace on iOS

Post by ELray » Sun May 03, 2020 7:16 pm

I’ve been told that if the main battery SOC drops to 20%, then the car will not charger the 12V system any more.

This happened to me during a long trip from Italy to Denmark, where the 12V system was down at 11V and my main battery was below 20%. The car wasn’t able to start charging on a fast DC charger because of this. Happily, there was a 50kW DC charger close by, and the car starter charging both the main and 12V battery.
🇳🇴 Norway
:arrow: I-Pace S Edition X590 (19MY)
:arrow: Build date: 1 Feb 2019 | Delivered: 15 March 2019
⚙️ H264: 06.01.20
⚙️ Telematics: 16.2
⚙️ InControl(updOTA:27.05.20): S20A_20.16.5-536345
⚙️ BECS: Unknown
⚙️ Maps(upd:08.05.20): 08.030.0107.0158

RobN

Post by RobN » Mon May 04, 2020 10:17 am

Hi Nikola,

Thanks for V27.0 which is working 100% for me!

Like the location addition particularly, now does everything the Jaguar app does and more. Only one question will you consider making it more graphic rich or are you thinking of keeping it straightforward and on one scrolling page? I'm not pushing for this, just curious.

Great job!

Best, Rob
SE MY20 Corris Grey, 20” wheels, oyster leather 10 way seats, panoramic roof, black trim + privacy glass + 7kWh Podpoint & ICE XK8 Conv 1996 (Jag owner/enthusiast since 1994 :D )

RobN

Post by RobN » Mon May 04, 2020 10:19 am

ELray wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 7:16 pm
I’ve been told that if the main battery SOC drops to 20%, then the car will not charger the 12V system any more.

This happened to me during a long trip from Italy to Denmark, where the 12V system was down at 11V and my main battery was below 20%. The car wasn’t able to start charging on a fast DC charger because of this. Happily, there was a 50kW DC charger close by, and the car starter charging both the main and 12V battery.
Hi ELray,

This is really useful to know thanks. It would suggest another very good reason not to leave the I-Pace unused for a long time with a low SOC.

Best, Rob
SE MY20 Corris Grey, 20” wheels, oyster leather 10 way seats, panoramic roof, black trim + privacy glass + 7kWh Podpoint & ICE XK8 Conv 1996 (Jag owner/enthusiast since 1994 :D )

johnnyhush

Post by johnnyhush » Tue May 05, 2020 1:24 am

ELray wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:22 pm
Voltage test from the voltmeter connected to my rear seat fusebox : 14,7V
MyPace is showing 15,9V
The car is locked and charging. Had been untouched for about an hour.
Today I measured the diff by comparing the values from JLR API vs voltage measured directly at my 12V bat. Did a couple of measurements, with ignition on, off, etc. The app is always showing 0.5V more than the actual voltage.

It'd be great if we could get one or two more measurements from other users, and then I can try to subtract X from the value returned by the JLR API.

johnnyhush

Post by johnnyhush » Tue May 05, 2020 1:26 am

ELray wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 7:16 pm

It might be a good idea to have one of those 12V boosters people usually use to jump start ICE vehicles. That would've fixed your issue I guess.

johnnyhush

Post by johnnyhush » Tue May 05, 2020 1:38 am

RobN wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 10:17 am
Only one question will you consider making it more graphic rich or are you thinking of keeping it straightforward and on one scrolling page?
That's a good question Rob - I'm not planning on making it prettier any time soon. The new / redesigned official Remote app looks good enough when it comes down to UI.
The goal with MyPace is to offer functionality that official app doesn't, and at the same time try to do it in a reasonable time frame. Not dealing with custom design and assets really helps focus on those missing features.

Here's my short term plan:

- Improve camper / pet mode, so that you get a notification if the climate cannot be restarted for some reason (e.g car cannot be reached, or insufficient SOC), so that you can come back in case you left your pets.
- Additional Limit SoC option for users with older telematics.
- Add one more tab, which will contain some quick stats, like miles driven today, along with efficiency, plus the same for this week, past week, past month, etc. So not replicating journeys from the official app, but adding some more insight / interesting data. What ends up on this screen might change over time as I get more feedback and ideas.
- Minor changes / additions to Watch app and Today widget.

After this is all good and stable, I'd like to focus more on the server side features. As I mentioned earlier, those would be available in a form of a monthly subscription, and would offer to run features like Limit SoC and camper / pet mode on the server, instead of running in on the phone, in the background. There would be some additional stuff only available on the server, like 'Permanent SoC', so you don't have to start the monitoring every time, timed charging, push notifications when you leave the car unlocked for X amount of time and the ignition is off.

ELray

Post by ELray » Tue May 05, 2020 6:55 pm

johnnyhush wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:26 am

It might be a good idea to have one of those 12V boosters people usually use to jump start ICE vehicles. That would've fixed your issue I guess.
I like your idea! I will get me a small booster for safety; just in case. Thanx
🇳🇴 Norway
:arrow: I-Pace S Edition X590 (19MY)
:arrow: Build date: 1 Feb 2019 | Delivered: 15 March 2019
⚙️ H264: 06.01.20
⚙️ Telematics: 16.2
⚙️ InControl(updOTA:27.05.20): S20A_20.16.5-536345
⚙️ BECS: Unknown
⚙️ Maps(upd:08.05.20): 08.030.0107.0158

fa147

Post by fa147 » Wed May 06, 2020 7:13 am

Hey Johnyhush.

Firstly thank you for developing the app further, it is getting better and better by the day.

I wanted to make a suggestion about the camper mode which may help a few things.

So last year I was planning to go around northern Europe in October and although I didn't get a chance to go, I did do some tests and one of them was to actually sleep in the car for 2 nights to see how the then manual camper mode I had devised would work.

What I found out is that if I programmed the departure times so that the climate control comes on once every hour or hour and a half but set the temperature of the cabin to be a comfortable 19-21 degrees, it warmed the car comfortably. The reason for this is most of the time when you are using camper mode, you are likely to be sleep in the back in some sort of sleeping bag and so actually don't need the car to have the climate control on all the time; in fact it gets too hot. Also when the climate control is on, it zaps around 2% of SoC for every 30 minutes it runs, which means an 8-10 over night camp could consume 16-20% SoC. Now this isn't a huge amount, but then again, if you are camping, you're likely to be in remote location and not necessary close to charging locations. So conserving SoC becomes a factor.

So I decided that if I was asleep in the car for 8 hours, i would only need the climate control to turn on once every 1 or 1.5 hours and run for 30 minutes. If teh weather is colder then you might increase the frequency but you don't need it to run all the time.

The other issue to consider is the battery drain on you phone while the current camper mode runs and uses the mic to keep the app running in the background.

To possible fix the above issues, would it be better if you could amend your app so that it:
- asks what the start and end time for camper mode should be, i.e. start date and time and duration
- asks the frequency that climate should be activated, i.e. once every hour, or once every 2 hours
- asks the cabin temperature to reach, i.e. 21 degrees
and then creates multiple departure times using date/time and temp via the API.

for example:
- start date and time = Today at 8pm running for 8 hours
- frequency = once every 1.5 hours
- temp 21 degrees.

Vehicle Departure Times Created:
- Today's date 8pm, 10pm,
- Tomorrow's date 12am, 2am, 4am, 6am

There are a few benefits from this approach:
- you don't have to have mic enabled to "monitor what the car is doing",
- you reduce the battery drain on the phone
- depending on the outside temp and the frequency of the climate requested, the car's SoC % overnight doesn't drop as much.
- there doesn't have to be good mobile connection between the car and the phone overnight, as in some remote locations this can be an issue
- camper mode can be programmed earlier in the day so that it is one less thing to have to set when you've "converted" the boot of the car to bed space.

Once the camping session is finished, the app could then just use the API to remove the departure times created. Even if it doesn't then it's not the end of the world as the previous camper session was programmed using date and time departure slots and so won't be repeated going forward. This means they can be removed afterwards on mass.

Does the above make sense and would it be a way to approach the camper feature of the app? Let me know if it raises more questions than helps to answer.

Thanks.
I-Pace MY20 HSE, Corris Grey, Ebony/Ebony Interior, 20” Grey & Diamond Turned, Panoramic Roof
IMC: S20A_20.16.5-536345 | Telematics: 16.2 | Map 08.030.0106.0154
Home Charging: Zappi 2.0

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Wed May 06, 2020 4:22 pm

Bear in mind fa147 that the car doesn’t use 2% per hour once the cabin he reached the desired temp. It takes more energy to get it there than it does to keep it there. I’ve found that once the cabin is at the required temp, it draws less than 1% per hour. Probably does vary a bit depending on the ambient temp of course. More options are good, but if the app does alter its behaviour I’d like and option to be able to run it the way it is now. Also for pets I would not want it switching off.

Additionally, adding departure times from the app is highly unreliable (sadly) so you might find it ends up not working a lot of the time. An unfortunate issue with the current API sadly.

ianipace

Post by ianipace » Wed May 06, 2020 6:15 pm

ADD I concur with your post above and would add that my car has an ongoing issue with charging.
An attempt was made to cure it, I cannot get a blue (pending) LED even if the car is set to charge later on.
Originally I thought it must be me, but the dealer's chief EV technician couldn't get it to work!
A new module was tried, but no success, and when lockdown finishes it will going back in to resolve the issue properly!
Luckily my rather nice and reasonably Ohme Smart charger (Via Octopus Energy) does the business!

I also made a 'grey box' to take to France when allowed to do so. Contents of the 'grey box' consist of a 32A CeeForm plug to get the power in, Inside one Digital timer module rated at 16amps which in turn feeds a 40 amp contactor and the box has a 32amp CeeForm socket that the Juice Booster 2 plugs into.
I can set the digital timer to any time to charge. My French cheap rate is 22.30 - 06.30. Cost was about 45 -50 quid all in including the DIN box. I'll take a photo and post it if anybody is interested.

Liked your 'chat' with ipace owner yesterday.

Constructive criticism, write a few notes before you both start so that ipace owner and you have the same overall direction and can bounce off each other better. Also ipace owner SLOW DOWN, you sounded like a machine gun firing at some points, and hence tripping over your own tongue!!
It takes practice but would benefit the video enormously as they are really very good!
This is a critique not a criticism honest!
ADD I'm interested that you mentioned your Octopus Energy cheap rate starts at 01.30. Presumably it goes on to 05.30? Mine down here in Cardiff is from 00.30 - 04.30.

Keep safe

Ian
MY2019 SE in Caesium Blue. Panoramic roof and 20" wheels. Ohme Smart charger.