Third party app for I-Pace on iOS

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
johnnyhush

Third party app for I-Pace on iOS

Post by johnnyhush » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:09 pm

-----------

I've been working on an I-Pace app for iOS, similarly to WattCat for Android, but unlike the WattCat, this app is in it's early stages, and not ready to replace the official Remote app.
However, it does offer a couple of things the official app doesn't. Here's a quick list of features:
- See the state of charge, range, charge status, remaining time.
- Limit the state of charge while charging. The app will periodically check the state of charge in the background, and stop the charging process if desired SoC has been reached.
- Lock / Unlock the vehicle.
- Lock the vehicle even if it's already locked, but not all windows have been closed. The car will then close its windows.
- See the lock / window status door by door.
- Start the preconditioning / climate.
- Camper mode. In this mode, the app will periodically check whether the climate / preconditioning has stopped, and if yes, it'll restart it.
- Tyre pressures info.
- Today widget with lock / unlock operation, as well as SoC and range info + charging status.

If anyone's interested in it, please sign up using this form: https://forms.gle/9jDiQeEk13CiV9sf8
Note: you need to have this app installed in order to be able to get the beta builds: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/testflight/id899247664

I'm expecting to have an initial alpha build ready within a couple of weeks.
Last edited by johnnyhush on Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abu Dhabi Dude

Re: Third party app for I-Pace on iOS

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:56 pm

I just signed up. Maybe you could provide some information for nervous owners as to what is transferred from the app to your servers and how their data is used and/or protected? Thanks!

Sounds awesome and I’m looking forward to trying it out.

johnnyhush

Post by johnnyhush » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:02 pm

Abu Dhabi Dude wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:56 pm
I just signed up. Maybe you could provide some information for nervous owners as to what is transferred from the app to your servers and how their data is used and/or protected? Thanks!

Sounds awesome and I’m looking forward to trying it out.
Absolutely, great question!

For the foreseeable future, the app will not have a "server component". This effectively means it'll only communicate with JLR API, nothing else.
The downside is that it will run in the background for camper mode, or when limiting the SoC, but on the other hand, it's good because your private data stays on the phone.
Access and refresh tokens used to communicate with JLR API are stored securely on the device using keychain encryption.

At some point in future I would like to be able to offer services like server side camper mode, limit SoC, and even more like notifications when you forget to lock your car (e.g get a notification if the car is not locked 5 or 10mins after the ignition has been turned off). But even if that happens, it'd be an optional feature, only if someone wants to use it.

SammyD

Post by SammyD » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:15 pm

johnnyhush wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:09 pm

If anyone's interested in it, please sign up using this form: https://forms.gle/9jDiQeEk13CiV9sf8
I looked at signing up for this as my iPad already has TestFlight Installed.

But... I find that I need a Google account in order to sign up to test this IOS app. Giving my details to Google is something that I simply will not do. Sorry.
There has to be another way...?
Driving "Hirundo Rustica" since 15th Mar 2019. Lovely Jubbly :D :D
S20B_20.27.3-568398 Maps : whatever is current.

johnnyhush

Post by johnnyhush » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:57 pm

Just removed that requirement from the google form :)

SammyD

Post by SammyD » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:58 pm

johnnyhush wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:57 pm
Just removed that requirement from the google form :)
Thanks. I've signed up.
Driving "Hirundo Rustica" since 15th Mar 2019. Lovely Jubbly :D :D
S20B_20.27.3-568398 Maps : whatever is current.

Paulsouthport

Post by Paulsouthport » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:21 pm

Excellent, look forward to trying this, thanks
I-Pace S, MY20 - built July 2019
S20A_x, H264, H270, H280
Telematics 18.2

Abu Dhabi Dude

Post by Abu Dhabi Dude » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:03 pm

johnnyhush wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:02 pm

Absolutely, great question!

For the foreseeable future, the app will not have a "server component". This effectively means it'll only communicate with JLR API, nothing else.
The downside is that it will run in the background for camper mode, or when limiting the SoC, but on the other hand, it's good because your private data stays on the phone.
Access and refresh tokens used to communicate with JLR API are stored securely on the device using keychain encryption.

At some point in future I would like to be able to offer services like server side camper mode, limit SoC, and even more like notifications when you forget to lock your car (e.g get a notification if the car is not locked 5 or 10mins after the ignition has been turned off). But even if that happens, it'd be an optional feature, only if someone wants to use it.
Thanks for that comprehensive response! I didn’t get asked about a Google account when I signed up earlier. Not sure why?

Volkswarren

Post by Volkswarren » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:40 pm

I've signed up too.
HSE, Caesium Blue, 22" 5056 Alloys, Oyster Leather, Active Air Suspension, Cold Pack, Black Pack, Privacy glass and Pano roof. Podpoint Homecharger. Telematics: 19.2 | InControl: S20B1_20.30.2-578440. https://share.octopus.energy/sunny-moth-32

johnnyhush

Post by johnnyhush » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:04 pm

Abu Dhabi Dude wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:03 pm
Thanks for that comprehensive response! I didn’t get asked about a Google account when I signed up earlier. Not sure why?
Most likely you were already signed in using your google account (in the browser you were using). Here're more details: https://webapps.stackexchange.com/a/87857

Basically I had that option checked, but now I've removed it, so no sign in should be needed.