Zappi Intelligent Charger

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
CrosbyA

Zappi Intelligent Charger

Post by CrosbyA » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:13 pm

Does anyone have any experience of using the Myenergi Zappi Intelligent charger system with the iPace? I'm considering purchase of one of these as I have a PV solar system and can use the excess generation to at least partially charge it for "Free". It's an intelligent charging system that works through an associated hub and App. You can set it to normal charge mode, Eco mode where it constantly charges at a minimum rate, supplementing any available excess PV energy, or full ECO+ mode where it only charges when sufficient excess energy is available. Seems pretty neat. It also has a timer option so by moving to an Octopus Energy GoFaster account I can get 4 hours (28KW) of charge each night for 5p/kWhr.

Seems like a good deal but does it work? Can the iPace deal with the frequent on / off charging switching in ECO+ mode? It is a bit pricey at around £850 to purchase (7kw single phase + hub and wireless CT) but does qualify for the OLEV grant if installed by a certified installer. Overall seems to be a nice package and will provide a return.

Details can be found here:
https://myenergi.com/product/zappi/

Any experience gratefully received!

IpacePete

Re: Zappi Intelligent Charger

Post by IpacePete » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:15 pm

Hi I had a Zappi v2 fitted October last year and I can confirm that it works very well with the I Pace. I also have PV and storage batteries and Octopus Go the timer on the works well so all good. If you haven't already got octopus go then we can split £100 with every friend who signs up with this link https://share.octopus.energy/green-hero-476. Presume £850 is after the OLEV grant. I got mine from Joju Solar they where very good. It did take a long time to get Octopus Go because I needed a smart meter so hope you are not in a hurry.
White MY20 - I Pace HSE , Mars Red interior
Delivered 29/04/19
Incontrol S20A_20.16.5-536345
Vehicle Connectivity 18.2
Battery Energy Control System: BN-AAE-BC-AC-BE

wilco

Post by wilco » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:53 pm

Hi CrosbyA

I've had my Zappi 1 for nearly 12 months now, it is a good piece of kit & I am very happy with it. I have a 4kw/h array of PV's & during the summer months was generating 20% of all power for the Ipace from them, this despite my wife's first "drive" being an electric Aga. I did have one problem which couldn't be solved over the phone & Myenergi organised & fitted a replacement unit for me. The cost to me was £350 as £500 was available from the OLEV grant. You don't have to worry about this as your installer will take care of it for you.

One thing to bear in mind is that the you need to be generating at least 1.4kw/h to put any power into your car, this is a minimum set by the Zappi unit. You can though still use it with a mix of power from the grid.
S, Borasco Grey, 18" wheels, oyster leather, gesture tailgate. Software S20A_20.16.5-536345 & 17.2, H228

SPARKO

Post by SPARKO » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:12 am

I use my zappi with Kona EV and I Pace. The zappi was faulty and needed firmware update to solve. My I Pace does not like the frequent on/off in eco + with low light levels. It causes the car to stop communicating with JLR server and therefore the app. The dealer could find nothing wrong. Since then I leave the zappi in eco mode so the charge keeps trickling.
I keep 2 EVs running and am in credit with the electricity company !

CrosbyA

Post by CrosbyA » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:17 pm

Thanks to everyone for your input, highly appreciated. In response to IPacePete the £850 I quoted was for the hardware purchase only from myEnergi before any OLEV grant, but without installation. Hopefully I can find a good local approved installer who will credit the grant without jacking up the cost fo the hardware which appears to be the case around here!

AFD

Post by AFD » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:11 pm

We get zero rebates or support for EV in OZ so pricing is difficult to compare.
I have a zappi on order for $1000 inc tax, which seems reasonable compared to others, I find it surprising what some charge for what is pretty basic tech in a plastic box, interestingly the Zappi was recommended by a Tesla power.

I also picked up a portable 32 amp 230v charger, I’m hoping to use this at a holiday home it was about $700, for a few times a year it seemed reasonable.

Given my jag will be relatively low km car by the time I’ve included installation I’ll have spent more on the chargers than the fuel I’d have used over 18 months? Go figure.
MY2020 SE, Caesium blue, Oyster leather, 22inch 5066 wheels, air suspension, panoramic glass roof plus other stuff.

bivvy

Post by bivvy » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:35 pm

SPARKO wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:12 am
I use my zappi with Kona EV and I Pace. The zappi was faulty and needed firmware update to solve. My I Pace does not like the frequent on/off in eco + with low light levels. It causes the car to stop communicating with JLR server and therefore the app. The dealer could find nothing wrong. Since then I leave the zappi in eco mode so the charge keeps trickling.
I keep 2 EVs running and am in credit with the electricity company !
I've got a zappi charging my i-Pace - not had any problems with any of the modes. In ECO+ you can change the time delay before the charge stops / starts - it means you may use a bit more energy from the grid but will reduce the number of starts and stops if the spare PV generation is changing rapidly. You can also change the "Minimum Green Level" in the ECO+ menu or on the app, and that will allow the zappi to continue charging at lower light levels

DickiePhitt

Post by DickiePhitt » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:56 pm

I've had a Zappi V1 working fine with my IPace for a year and echo all the comments in other posts regarding the installed cost - should be about net £350 - and the flexible options the charger offers.
I'd mention, in addition, the excellent back up that Myenergi offer. Their products need to be set up properly and the mix of inexperienced installers and untechnical owners can lead to issues. There is a very active Myenergi Tapatalk group which is monitored and replied to by Myenergi personnel, from the top down, 7 days a week.

Fluff

Post by Fluff » Fri May 22, 2020 6:26 pm

I have been quoted to supply and fit a Zappi, net price I need to pay, just over £700 inc vat.

Is this a reasonable price?, probably nearly 10 metres from board to the outside.

Thanks

Simonmac

Post by Simonmac » Fri May 22, 2020 9:50 pm

CrosbyA wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:13 pm
Does anyone have any experience of using the Myenergi Zappi Intelligent charger system with the iPace? I'm considering purchase of one of these as I have a PV solar system and can use the excess generation to at least partially charge it for "Free". It's an intelligent charging system that works through an associated hub and App. You can set it to normal charge mode, Eco mode where it constantly charges at a minimum rate, supplementing any available excess PV energy, or full ECO+ mode where it only charges when sufficient excess energy is available. Seems pretty neat. It also has a timer option so by moving to an Octopus Energy GoFaster account I can get 4 hours (28KW) of charge each night for 5p/kWhr.

Seems like a good deal but does it work? Can the iPace deal with the frequent on / off charging switching in ECO+ mode? It is a bit pricey at around £850 to purchase (7kw single phase + hub and wireless CT) but does qualify for the OLEV grant if installed by a certified installer. Overall seems to be a nice package and will provide a return.

Details can be found here:
https://myenergi.com/product/zappi/

Any experience gratefully received!
This is exactly the set up I have had since I got the car. Zappi, solar PV, Octopus Go and the ipace. Only addition is I also have a Tesla battery. Over the last full 12 months I’ve averaged 85% self powered during peak times and used the 4 hours (now 5) at 5p to charge car and to boost battery in winter. It’s worked extremely well and definitely worth it. The Time to get a return often puts people off, but my charger, battery and solar combined whilst pretty pricey has a 9 year return cost which I think is pretty good. Add savings on petrol, (about £3k a year) and on company car tax (even more) the whole move to EV and PV will be will equate to just 4 years return. With my smallest electricity bill coming in at just £1.38 for a whole month last summer, I’m am definitely a convert!