E-Tron

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Captain.Plummet

E-Tron

Post by Captain.Plummet » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:05 pm

My I Pace is still in repair since I was attacked by a Defender on steroids and now I have an E-Tron courtesy car. I already have a few observations:
- The Audi is a very impressively finished car. It feels more substantial than the I Pace and heavier too.
- The infotainment is slick and immediate. JLR have some catching up to do. On the other hand the voice prompts are unbearable.
- Road noise is a little lower than the I Pace but motor whine is not particularly nice. I prefer the I Pace in that regard.
- Steering is odd. The nose wanders, especially on near side lanes of motorways where there are wear paths.
- There is a regular knocking sound from the interior. It’s really annoying and I cannot locate it.
- This car has done 3000 miles and the driver’s seat squab is visibly uneven with loose leather. The seats are uncomfortable for me, much worse than the I Pace.
- The GoM indicates 184 miles with a full charge. I drove 51 miles and it indicated 132 miles, so it’s pretty accurate. I was driving modestly and the temperature has been about 9degC today. This isn’t enough range to be practical in my book. The I Pace real world range for me is about 230 miles, some 50 more than the E-Tron but that makes all the difference. I’m going to Kent in it on Thursday, a trip I’ve done several times in the I Pace, but I’m already planning an additional stop in either direction. With such limited range the E-Tron needs Ionity charging speeds.
- The camera wing mirrors take some getting used to.
- Drive select pushes forward for reverse and backward for drive. There must be some logic to this but it escapes me.
- Steering wheel buttons are fiddly. I Pace is better. Cruise and separation control is on a separate stalk hidden under the column which is very odd.
Overall I’ll have my Jag back please.

PS702

Re: E-Tron

Post by PS702 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:10 pm

Agree with your observation.

The build quality, materials, fit and finish are a win for the E-Tron, but it ends there. I really like the car, but its not as exciting as the I-Pace
2019 HSE Ceasium Blue/oyster, 5068 wheels
April 2019 build date
Southern California, USA

FENorway

Post by FENorway » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:23 pm

PS702 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:10 pm

The build quality, materials, fit and finish are a win for the E-Tron, but it ends there. I really like the car, but its not as exciting as the I-Pace
1800 kilo towing capacity and more luggage space can also be important for some..
FE Corris grey light oyster/light oyster Performance 22" 5069 & 18" 19C_19.46.4-458817 and 18.2

CaliDave

Post by CaliDave » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:40 pm

Appreciate the above. Porsche / Audi seem to be requiring odd compromises. Why can't we have a polished SUV or sports sedan with great performance and range for the money they're asking?

PS702

Post by PS702 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:46 pm

:D
FENorway wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:23 pm
PS702 wrote:

1800 kilo towing capacity and more luggage space can also be important for some..
Didn't even think of those. Good point
2019 HSE Ceasium Blue/oyster, 5068 wheels
April 2019 build date
Southern California, USA

Captain.Plummet

Post by Captain.Plummet » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:45 am

FENorway wrote:
PS702 wrote:

That may be so, but if this vehicle were towing 1800Kg I imagine the range would be not much more than 100 miles, unless of course the trailer was full of batteries. Now there’s a thought. What about a battery trailer? Imagine a long road trip on which you could pick up a half tonne trailer battery pack and swap it en route. On motorway hauls that would not be a handling issue although UK law limits towing speed to 60mph.

I-Pays

Post by I-Pays » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:31 am

CaliDave wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:40 pm
Appreciate the above. Porsche / Audi seem to be requiring odd compromises. Why can't we have a polished SUV or sports sedan with great performance and range for the money they're asking?
Remember, the I-Pace was designed 'ground-up' to be an EV, whereas the e-Tron is a modified ICE.

Also, Jaguar's sporting heritage comes through in the vehicle dynamics; it's not really designed to be a 'pure' SUV, more an SUV/sportscar fusion.

I can't speak for the Taycan, but as sure as h#ll I want to drive one... ;)

FENorway

Post by FENorway » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:30 am

Captain.Plummet wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:45 am
FENorway wrote:
PS702 wrote:

That may be so, but if this vehicle were towing 1800Kg I imagine the range would be not much more than 100 miles, unless of course the trailer was full of batteries. Now there’s a thought. What about a battery trailer? Imagine a long road trip on which you could pick up a half tonne trailer battery pack and swap it en route. On motorway hauls that would not be a handling issue although UK law limits towing speed to 60mph.
I appreciate being able to tow 1800 kilos. Not saying I need to.
That said,I did not opt for a trailer hook on my I-Pace. Thought 1800 euros was too much for 750 kilos and dont like risking the paint at the rear of the car. For one small scratch I can rent a small van many,many times if needed. And I have a Ford Transit available also.
FE Corris grey light oyster/light oyster Performance 22" 5069 & 18" 19C_19.46.4-458817 and 18.2

Captain.Plummet

Post by Captain.Plummet » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:05 am

FENorway wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:30 am
Captain.Plummet wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:45 am
FENorway wrote:

I appreciate being able to tow 1800 kilos. Not saying I need to.
That said,I did not opt for a trailer hook on my I-Pace. Thought 1800 euros was too much for 750 kilos and dont like risking the paint at the rear of the car. For one small scratch I can rent a small van many,many times if needed. And I have a Ford Transit available also.
Ah, but you said ‘some’, not ‘I’.

MvM

Post by MvM » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:08 pm

Captain.Plummet wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:05 pm
My I Pace is still in repair since I was attacked by a Defender on steroids and now I have an E-Tron courtesy car. I already have a few observations:
- The Audi is a very impressively finished car. It feels more substantial than the I Pace and heavier too.
- The infotainment is slick and immediate. JLR have some catching up to do. On the other hand the voice prompts are unbearable.
- Road noise is a little lower than the I Pace but motor whine is not particularly nice. I prefer the I Pace in that regard.
- Steering is odd. The nose wanders, especially on near side lanes of motorways where there are wear paths.
- There is a regular knocking sound from the interior. It’s really annoying and I cannot locate it.
- This car has done 3000 miles and the driver’s seat squab is visibly uneven with loose leather. The seats are uncomfortable for me, much worse than the I Pace.
- The GoM indicates 184 miles with a full charge. I drove 51 miles and it indicated 132 miles, so it’s pretty accurate. I was driving modestly and the temperature has been about 9degC today. This isn’t enough range to be practical in my book. The I Pace real world range for me is about 230 miles, some 50 more than the E-Tron but that makes all the difference. I’m going to Kent in it on Thursday, a trip I’ve done several times in the I Pace, but I’m already planning an additional stop in either direction. With such limited range the E-Tron needs Ionity charging speeds.
- The camera wing mirrors take some getting used to.
- Drive select pushes forward for reverse and backward for drive. There must be some logic to this but it escapes me.
- Steering wheel buttons are fiddly. I Pace is better. Cruise and separation control is on a separate stalk hidden under the column which is very odd.
Overall I’ll have my Jag back please.
Thanks for the comparison. Was it the Etron 55 or Etron 50 (quite a difference).

Have you used the lever for opening the front hood. Did you like the quality of that?
Did you look at the Frunk cover and the way that part looks and the way it is connected?

Can you tell us your consumption? Would like to know. Since you say you drive modestly, the consumption should be reasonable.

As someone else already mentioned, the Etron is basically a modified ICE-car (the EQC is even worse). It's a very heavy car which is 22 cm longer than the I-Pace but has a shorter wheelbase. A very large hood which Audi still manages to fill up even though an electric motor is much more compact. Absolutely ZERO effort made to compensate the weight of the batteries. The ONLY two PLUS-points for the Etron in my opinion are:

- Larger luggage space than the I-Pace, (thanks to its greater length and shoebox-design).
- Faster charging. THAT is the main advantage of the Etron (although time will tell if that might work against you in a few years if you use it a lot).