Home Charging

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Rene C.

Re: Home Charging

Post by Rene C. » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:34 am

Hello Jelle,

I have received my I Pace last Friday,
and I have the same inefficient loading on a 22 KW AC charging. (3-4% per hour).
Did you manage to solve the slow charging issue/problem?

Regards,
Rene
I-Pace HSE Corris Grey

Rene C.

Post by Rene C. » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:03 am

Or anyone else of course... ;-)
I-Pace HSE Corris Grey

Jelle v/d Meer

Post by Jelle v/d Meer » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:11 am

Rene C. wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:34 am
Hello Jelle,

I have received my I Pace last Friday, and I have the same inefficient loading on a 22 KW AC charging. (3-4% per hour).

Regards,
Rene
So far sadly no - at work (3 phase 32A charger) the charge rate remains low at 3-4% per hour. They just installed my charger with load balancing at home (3 phase 32A charger of which only 1 phase is connected to a 1x 35A connection) - at the moment the App indicates 11% charge per hour (which is more than possible) but so far it has been running between 7-11% despite various appliances drawing power in my house as well.

The more interesting feedback I can give is what I was told yesterday at the Jaguar dealer by 1 of their employees that himself drives the I-pace since the summer and since has done 15,000km. He mentioned (with explanation why) that the I-pace performs VERY poorly on 3 phase chargers to the extend that it will be considerable slower on a 3 phase 32A charger than on a 1 phase 32A charger. Why and how no idea - it makes no sense that the I-pace would be slower on a 3 phase 32A charger than on 1 phase 32A charger but so far my own experience is reflecting that reality.

My guess is that the charging software considers the extra power from 3 phase as a risk and besides not using 2 of the 3 phases lowers the max ampere to protect the charger/battery. Considering that 3 phase barely exist in UK - it could very well be that the Jaguar electrical engineers might have made some mistakes when building the charging hardware/software.

Main issue for all I-pace drivers in NL is that ALL public chargers are 3 phase chargers either 11kW, 22kW or 43kW. For now I am very happy and pleased with my home charger - will continue to monitor over longer periods/days what charge rate I am getting.
I-pace S + HUD, Drive Pack, Light Oyster Sport Seats, Elec Tailgate, DAB+ & heated windshield I Ceasium Blue & 18" wheels

Snoerd

Post by Snoerd » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:32 am

Jelle v/d Meer wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:11 am
The more interesting feedback I can give is what I was told yesterday at the Jaguar dealer by 1 of their employees that himself drives the I-pace since the summer and since has done 15,000km. He mentioned (with explanation why) that the I-pace performs VERY poorly on 3 phase chargers to the extend that it will be considerable slower on a 3 phase 32A charger than on a 1 phase 32A charger. Why and how no idea - it makes no sense that the I-pace would be slower on a 3 phase 32A charger than on 1 phase 32A charger but so far my own experience is reflecting that reality.
I can confirm that I don't have the issues on my 1x24A charger at home. It is charging with 5.5kW as expected. With Allego 3x32A chargers at work, the speed is also above 7kW, which is to be expected. But on other public chargers, I also experienced around 3.5kW on a 22kW public charger.

So the i-pace doesn't seem to like all 22kW chargers. 7kW is already slow, but 3,5kW is horrible and hardly gains any range even if you stay for four hours (50km range added...)...

For Sunday, I have planned for a 400km trip. This will be the first time that I really need a DC charger on the way. My earlier expectations that 400km should be doable without charging are already long gone. So my hope is now at the 100kW charger at Bolscher in Enschede... I hope to get at least 50-60kWh in an hour time. I don't think the couple of hours that I will stay in Enschede would be sufficient to use 22kW public chargers given the current charging issues and I don't want to have a charging break on my way back.
--
Jaguar I-Pace S, Order date July 16, 2018
Fuji White, Tow Bar, expected build date Nov 9, expected date at dealer Nov 23, expected delivery Nov 28. Arrived at dealer Dec 17 for delivery Dec 21! :D

Jelle v/d Meer

Post by Jelle v/d Meer » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:49 am

Snoerd wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:32 am

I can confirm that I don't have the issues on my 1x24A charger at home. It is charging with 5.5kW as expected. With Allego 3x32A chargers at work, the speed is also above 7kW, which is to be expected. But on other public chargers, I also experienced around 3.5kW on a 22kW public charger.

So the i-pace doesn't seem to like all 22kW chargers. 7kW is already slow, but 3,5kW is horrible and hardly gains any range even if you stay for four hours (50km range added...)...

For Sunday, I have planned for a 400km trip. This will be the first time that I really need a DC charger on the way. My earlier expectations that 400km should be doable without charging are already long gone. So my hope is now at the 100kW charger at Bolscher in Enschede... I hope to get at least 50-60kWh in an hour time. I don't think the couple of hours that I will stay in Enschede would be sufficient to use 22kW public chargers given the current charging issues and I don't want to have a charging break on my way back.
I have made multiple longer trips so far and used different DC chargers - the 50kW chargers really perform well and delivery near 50kW per hour up to 80 SoC. The 100kW/175kW chargers so far performed below par and if your SoC is above 55% don't expect to get a lot better speed than from a 50kW charger.

So far the charging sessions on the road where actually not really annoying - when travelling alone I have my laptop (work) and Ipad (Netflix/games) with me. The last trip up and down to Charlerloi I charged on the return and was working away and joined calls and before I knew it the car was charged to 90% from 21% start. Total time was 78 minutes but it didn't feel the time was lost and average charge speed came to 45kW per hour.
I-pace S + HUD, Drive Pack, Light Oyster Sport Seats, Elec Tailgate, DAB+ & heated windshield I Ceasium Blue & 18" wheels

odogan

Post by odogan » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:37 pm

I've a 32A charger with load balancing (Alfen Eve Mini) installed at home. I've no problems with charging, getting around 8%/9% according to the app. I think most of the home charging issues are also related to the charger and setting at home
Last edited by odogan on Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Netherlands
I-Pace SE, Corris Grey, Panoramic roof, 20” wheels, Adaptive Dynamics with Air Suspension, Black Ext. Pack, HUD

Goshdarnit

Post by Goshdarnit » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:06 pm

Just had my Wallbox Pulsar fitted today and was getting over 7.4 KWh delivered from the charger (presumably allowing for inefficiency that equates to 7.2 at the car). Very happy with it and the app is simple, user friendly, and does everything I want.
I-Pace First Edition, Corris Grey, Oyster interior, 22” diamond cut alloys with carbon inserts.
IMC: S19A_19.07.2-312706 Telematics: 14.2

Check out my I-Pace Channel on YouTube
Control your iPace with Siri voice commands

MartijnEV

Post by MartijnEV » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:20 pm

Jelle v/d Meer wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:11 am
Rene C. wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:34 am
Hello Jelle,

I have received my I Pace last Friday, and I have the same inefficient loading on a 22 KW AC charging. (3-4% per hour).

Regards,
Rene

My guess is that the charging software considers the extra power from 3 phase as a risk and besides not using 2 of the 3 phases lowers the max ampere to protect the charger/battery. Considering that 3 phase barely exist in UK - it could very well be that the Jaguar electrical engineers might have made some mistakes when building the charging hardware/software.

Main issue for all I-pace drivers in NL is that ALL public chargers are 3 phase chargers either 11kW, 22kW or 43kW. For now I am very happy and pleased with my home charger - will continue to monitor over longer periods/days what charge rate I am getting.
Nonsense: there is no risk in being connected to 3-phases versus 1-phase, and the Jaguar engineers did not make any mistake in the AC charging setup. This is why: there is no way the i-Pace hardware or software could detect whether it is connected to 1 or 3 phases. Physically only phase 1 is connected (see the socket in the car inlet: the bottom two holes - those are for phase 2 and phase 3 on three-phase cars - don't have contact bushings at all, so 'sensing' presence of phase 2 and 3 is impossible). In addition, the charging protocol of Mode 3 charging (see IEC 61851-1) makes no distinction between 1 or 3 phases either. The protocol (=communication between car and charger) only controls the Amps. So there is no way the software could 'detect' whether it is connected to 1 or 3-phase. So there really should be no difference between being connected to a 1-phase 32A or a 3-phase 32A charger: in both cases you should get the same charging power/speed.

If you do see a difference: it is 100% the charger, not the i-Pace, that makes the difference.

What could be the case is that the 3-phase charger that you experienced slower charging at, as compared to the other 1-phase charger, is that the 3-phase charger could be equipped with load balancing/smart charging software, which limits the available amps if multiple cars are charging at the same charger cluster (e.g. charging stations with two sockets, charging plaza's etc.), and/or if the building that the charger is sharing the power grid connection with (e.g. residential home), is consuming a significant amount of power, that the charger Amps are limited by the smart charging software.
The Netherlands
i-Pace S, Fuji White, panorama roof, 18” wheels, heated seats, interior ioniser, front fog lights
Build date: 7 Nov 2018 | Delivery: 3 Dec 2018 |Telematics: 15.2 | InControl: S18D | Maps: 8.30.95.153

Jelle v/d Meer

Post by Jelle v/d Meer » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:54 am

MartijnEV wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:20 pm

Nonsense: there is no risk in being connected to 3-phases versus 1-phase, and the Jaguar engineers did not make any mistake in the AC charging setup. This is why: there is no way the i-Pace hardware or software could detect whether it is connected to 1 or 3 phases. Physically only phase 1 is connected (see the socket in the car inlet: the bottom two holes - those are for phase 2 and phase 3 on three-phase cars - don't have contact bushings at all, so 'sensing' presence of phase 2 and 3 is impossible). In addition, the charging protocol of Mode 3 charging (see IEC 61851-1) makes no distinction between 1 or 3 phases either. The protocol (=communication between car and charger) only controls the Amps. So there is no way the software could 'detect' whether it is connected to 1 or 3-phase. So there really should be no difference between being connected to a 1-phase 32A or a 3-phase 32A charger: in both cases you should get the same charging power/speed.

If you do see a difference: it is 100% the charger, not the i-Pace, that makes the difference.

What could be the case is that the 3-phase charger that you experienced slower charging at, as compared to the other 1-phase charger, is that the 3-phase charger could be equipped with load balancing/smart charging software, which limits the available amps if multiple cars are charging at the same charger cluster (e.g. charging stations with two sockets, charging plaza's etc.), and/or if the building that the charger is sharing the power grid connection with (e.g. residential home), is consuming a significant amount of power, that the charger Amps are limited by the smart charging software.
Well reality is that so far on all public 22kW chargers and I have tried multiple including the one at work very often that I am getting 3-4% instead of the expected 8-9% charge. At home I tracked it both on App (showing 7-11%) and in Excel over a long period and I am getting to 5.5kW average all the way to 100% so till 85% it was running slighly above 7kW and that is on a 1x 35A home connection.

So call it nonsense and I hope you are right but so far my experience is that there is certainly some truth to it!!!

Goshdarnit

Post by Goshdarnit » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:19 pm

I charged to 100% yesterday on my newly installed home charger and got 7.2 kw all the way to 100%.
I-Pace First Edition, Corris Grey, Oyster interior, 22” diamond cut alloys with carbon inserts.
IMC: S19A_19.07.2-312706 Telematics: 14.2

Check out my I-Pace Channel on YouTube
Control your iPace with Siri voice commands

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”